Glitter bombed — how do I stop the fallout?

Sirène

Glitter bombed — how do I stop the fallout? (AZIZA Saidi Dress)

I purchased a Glittered AZIZA Saidi Dress by Off the Nile (Dahlal) for my upcoming group performance, and while I expected the the fabric would shed some of the glitter I was completely unprepared for the amount of glitter this dress is shedding.

It's as though a glitter bomb went off in my home. When I took it out of the bag it was packed in, it covered the floor in glitter. I laid it on my bed for a moment—presto! glitter sheets. :doh: I walked into the bathroom to see how it looked on me—ta-da! glitter all over the floor tile. I took the dress off—voila! glittered bra and underwear. :shok:

I know that a certain amount of shedding is normal, but is there anything I can do to stop this glitter assault on my home?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Update:

The dress has now been through a rehearsal and a performance and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. :) It's comfortable, sparkly, and while hemming it we found the easy breezy care instructions: delicate cycle, tumble dry low.

It's still shedding glitter—you should see the lint compartment on the dryer— but you'd never be able to tell looking at the dress.

It is a little on the expensive side but sewn very well. I would by another one if they marked them down 20% again.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
WOW! I am surprised there is any glitter left after that series of bombings. Maybe contact Dahlal customer service & ask them why and what to do. Is the fabric washable? If so maybe you can just dunk it in warm water to try to get rid of the excess. Take the dress outside & give it a few good shakes, that may help. I think I'd be a bit worried that the dress will end up looking sad without any glitter.
~Mosaic

Sirène

WOW! I am surprised there is any glitter left after that series of bombings. Maybe contact Dahlal customer service & ask them why and what to do. Is the fabric washable? If so maybe you can just dunk it in warm water to try to get rid of the excess. Take the dress outside & give it a few good shakes, that may help. I think I'd be a bit worried that the dress will end up looking sad without any glitter.
~Mosaic

The attached paper tag doesn't have any 'washing' instructions on it, and I don't see any tags inside the dress. I suppose it doesn't hurt to call customer service tomorrow after I check their FAQ.

I'm not worried about the dress losing sparkle. It could keep shedding glitter the way it is for the next 30 days, and I think it would still have glitter to spare. It is THAT glitzy.

We had a similar thread a while back. Unfortunately not very many good solutions..

Did you end up trying any of the starches or sprays? As I said above, this dress has glitter for days so I'm not at all worried about it losing luster, however I would like to stop coating my home furniture and floors with the stuff and I"m sure my classmates would appreciate my not leaving a trail—however sparkly—when we do our number.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
You clearly need to get rid of it. Ship to: "Zorba, 'The Veiled Male'"... :lol:

Seriously, sometimes "dems da breaks". Our troupe was rehearsing in our living room with glitter fabric elastic-on-arm wings. We swept up what seemed like a POUND of glitter. After every practice. For weeks!

Daimona

Did you end up trying any of the starches or sprays? As I said above, this dress has glitter for days so I'm not at all worried about it losing luster, however I would like to stop coating my home furniture and floors with the stuff and I"m sure my classmates would appreciate my not leaving a trail—however sparkly—when we do our number.

I gave it a good shake outdoors and try to handle it as little as possible and store it in its own bag to avoid infecting everything else in my closet.
Shedding has decreased after some use (though, I still leave a glittery path).

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
ugh it will take forever to get glitter out of your car, especially off car seats. I had a pair of pants once that had glitter on them. I'm still finding glitter in my car even though I only had the pants on once years ago. I was not able to find a solution to the glitter puking.

LilithNoor

Embrace the glitter.

The glitter is inevitable.

The glitter is your master.

Bow to your sparkly overlord.

....yeah, I got nothing.

Sirène

You clearly need to get rid of it. Ship to: "Zorba, 'The Veiled Male'"... :lol:

Seriously, sometimes "dems da breaks". Our troupe was rehearsing in our living room with glitter fabric elastic-on-arm wings. We swept up what seemed like a POUND of glitter. After every practice. For weeks!

I guess I'm going to have to start packing a dustbuster in my dance bag. :lol: (I don't think a broom would work with this stuff, it's so small and fine.)

I gave it a good shake outdoors and try to handle it as little as possible and store it in its own bag to avoid infecting everything else in my closet.
Shedding has decreased after some use (though, I still leave a glittery path).

We're having wind gusts in excess of 50mph, perhaps I should hang it outside? :D I plan to buy a container for it so it's easier to take in and out. If Dahlal can ship a dress, hip scarf and zil pouch in a 6x6x6 box, I'm sure I can find a large rubbermaid or tupperware container that'll do the trick.

ugh it will take forever to get glitter out of your car, especially off car seats. I had a pair of pants once that had glitter on them. I'm still finding glitter in my car even though I only had the pants on once years ago. I was not able to find a solution to the glitter puking.

So everytime I wear it I'll be "Pimpin' My Ride"? :lol:

There may not be a solution to this glitter fallout, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. ;)

Shanazel

The seamy underside of the belly dance world: dancers shed glitter, sequins, beads, and other exotic materials. ;)

AndreaSTL

It won't keep the glitter from shedding, but have you tried packing tape? It's easier to pick up loose glitter with the tape than by sweeping it up.

Safran

I think we should send this tip to Ranya Renee - she already uses a variety of "accessories" to teach baladi (rubber bands, zippers, the globe ball etc.), but tape and glitter would make it all better :lol: