Goddess of the Dance

Salome

Administrator
Dear Michael,

Is the purpose of these pictures just to create beautiful pictures, or to be used as serious marketing tool for bellydancers? Because in the last case, people might prefer pictures of dancers actually dancing in a studio or restaurant. It shows what they look like while dancing and it shows they have some experience. Although your pictures are very beautiful, I think they might be not very suitable for a dancer to show what bellydance is really like. After all, everyone can pose in a costume. Please note I don't mean to offend you.
Sorry, I have to disagree here. An action shot in a venue is OK on a dancer's website perhaps but not as a PR picture. A promo pic is not meant to show what belly dance is all about. That is the role of a demo reel, or if online, your video clip. A promotional picture should be totally fab, well lit, clearly show your face and body and costume in all it's wonderful detail - without waiters and what not in the background.

lizaj

The nearest I have got to Egypt is the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas :)
Here is Ansuya as Isis. I see you are in UK somewhere, I used to have a house in Alvediston Wilts, it was a 200 year-old school that I bought from my neighbor exPM Sir Anthony Eden, ( I nicknamed it East of Eden and West of Suez ... that is an in-joke )
However I grew up in Pinner Middx and went to Merchant Taylors School and Leicester University where I got a Masters degree in geology.
You needed to remind a Brit about Eden and Suez!!!!!;)

'fraid I'm a Northern gal , nothing so posh as Pinner.
Although my sister went to our Merchant Taylors and we both went to Liverpool University!

Hey Michael did YOU take all this pictures? ( and edited them afterwards?) If so it is really great!

I personally do not get all that Goddess thing though.... I agree there is space for editing and making fairy-tale like beautiful pictures, fantasy as you say. Through power of imagination to disregard all the imperfections and bring it to a perfect beautiful world.

As for goddess thing- it is REALLY bad. You are going to have mixed feelings form the dancers who try really hard to break the misconceptions and stop people selling belly dance as some goddess worship.

I can envision belly dancer in a role of nymph or fairy, or whatever else, but goddess myth is really harmful imho.

Bravo for the pix thou, I did that type of stuff myself!
Fine no problemo! I had no idea it was such a touchy subject. I don't want to upset anyone. I shall scrap the Goddess idea and call it something else like Digital Dancers. Yes I took all the pictures, got to do something to pass the time...

Last edited:

Brea

My photographer is going to take photos of me in my Scottish costume standing in the snow, holding a sword. Obviously there is some fantasy about that!

Yes, as Aziyade so gently puts it, there is a problem with this being considered 'goddess' oriented. I want to stress here that I don't actually have a problem with people being pagan (or anything for that matter), but when it comes into something I study the history of, such as Scotland or bellydance, I take offense. The thing is, you may not be meaning 'goddess' in that way at all, but it's something that a lot of misguided people in the bellydance world have been writing very inaccurate books about.

And lastly, there are some fantastic men in this dance. They deserve equal attention to the women. You will be promoting another myth by including only women in your book: the myth that only women do this dance.

You needed to remind a Brit about Eden and Suez!!!!!;)

'fraid I'm a Northern gal , nothing so posh as Pinner.
Although my sister went to our Merchant Taylors and we both went to Liverpool University!
Not so POSH (Port Out Starboard Home ) any more. The Merchant Taylors I went to was 450 years old and all boys, I did not speak to a member of the opposite sex until I left school.
I used to go to Liverpool University from Leicester to compete in Track and Field, Cricket, Squash, Table Tennis and Chess when I was a student. Long time ago... I used to hold the UK record for the high jump but now can hardly get up the stairs. My 15 year old son has taken over in that department and represented California, Nevada and Arizona in Junior Olympics last summer.

Reen.Blom

Fine no problemo! I had no idea it was such a touchy subject. I don't want to upset anyone. I shall scrap the Goddess idea and call it something else like Digital Dancers. Yes I took all the pictures, got to do something to pass the time...
I applaud your talent :clap: the pictures are realy nice and the editing as well, so I am sure it could be quite a hit, also if you make posters or cards!

I believe such a full color album could be really nice so give it some thought, since the pictures are really romantic! Maybe you could come up with some inspirational dance quotes and make a calendar or something....

Good luck with your efforts!

Moon

Salome said:
Sorry, I have to disagree here. An action shot in a venue is OK on a dancer's website perhaps but not as a PR picture. A promo pic is not meant to show what belly dance is all about. That is the role of a demo reel, or if online, your video clip. A promotional picture should be totally fab, well lit, clearly show your face and body and costume in all it's wonderful detail - without waiters and what not in the background.
Hmm, well I personally prefer dancer website who have both. A picture on which you can clearly see the dancer on her own (or troupe on it's own) and action shots. I would find it strange if the posing picture would have some kind of fairy wings or other fantasy aspects that has nothing to do with the dance. But oh well, just my opinion. I tend to like action shots better than the look-how-pretty-I-am model-like pictures :confused:.
When people get to see you in real life you won't have perfect lighting to bring out the best of your features anyway :(

My photographer is going to take photos of me in my Scottish costume standing in the snow, holding a sword. Obviously there is some fantasy about that!

Yes, as Aziyade so gently puts it, there is a problem with this being considered 'goddess' oriented. I want to stress here that I don't actually have a problem with people being pagan (or anything for that matter), but when it comes into something I study the history of, such as Scotland or bellydance, I take offense. The thing is, you may not be meaning 'goddess' in that way at all, but it's something that a lot of misguided people in the bellydance world have been writing very inaccurate books about.

And lastly, there are some fantastic men in this dance. They deserve equal attention to the women. You will be promoting another myth by including only women in your book: the myth that only women do this dance.
Far it be from me to promote offensive myths. I am just a simple country lad who has photographed a few ladies wearing belly dance costumes, and I am about to be excommunicated or burned at the stake. (and I am not even Catholic ).
Maybe you should take up the battle with people like Dolphina....

GoddessLife with Dolphina
and
The Goddess Dancing - Belly Dance for Body, Mind and Spirit, belly dance classes, belly dance instructional videos

Then you know all about Iona (I Chaluim Chille) and the Campbells of Argyll etc... Incidentally my first book was called An Introduction to the Geological History of Mull and Iona. I spent three years on my thesis trying to unravel 2,800,000,000 years of geological history on Iona . On one summer I slept for a couple of months in a monks cell in the Abbey and for another in a tractor shed..

Call me a geek, but it's also a myth that posh stands for Port Out Starboard Home.

Merriam-Webster Online
You're just no fun at all.

O the posh posh traveling life, the traveling life for me
First cabin and captain's table regal company
Pardon the dust of the upper crust - fetch us a cup of tea
Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P-O-S-H, posh

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:

Reen.Blom

Oh we all LOVE Dolphina and her rhyme "I-am-a-belly-dan-cer - Im-a god-dess"... ANother one 'trading' on the myth.... ;)

Moon I am sure Salome does not mean a pic with fairy wings for promotion, but it would be strange to put an imperfect picture on a flyer or business card! We all know that fear of "too perfect picture", but to a performance picture I would prefer a video clip if you ask me. After all what can a performance pic tell you? There is also makeup and lighting ( sometime unflattering) and those are REALLy hard to take! ANd who would look at your freckles or whatever when you dance? After all a dancer is also poetry in motion where you look past imperfections... Another thing is if all you see is one picture, then yes it should be perfect. Rather too romantic, than showing you in an unflattering way. Besides not all the people look as good in the pics than in reall life. There should be bit of everything. But this is why we put on makeup and glitzy costumes- too look wee bit better than in everyday life... ;)

Hmm,.......I tend to like action shots better than the look-how-pretty-I-am model-like pictures :confused:.
When people get to see you in real life you won't have perfect lighting to bring out the best of your features anyway :(
Maybe you will like my photo of Maria Sharapova better ! Or Samantha .. a 13 year old girl I coached last year

Last edited:

Brea

Scathach, Aiofe, and Cuchulain are the ones I am most familiar with. Iona is the place where the mermaid fell in love with St Columba, and that's about as far as I know regarding Iona. Anyway, I am aware of these things, but it is more likely these were just people (as opposed to gods/goddesses). Do you have sources you can cite for these? I assume you must, as it was part of your thesis.

I'm a MacDonald. As a Campbell I am sure you know what that means. ;)

I am interested to know if you included in your thesis that Scotland and Ireland were the first two Christian countries. This is a long and detailed problem that I have run into everywhere. Whatever appeals most to people is what they follow. I am interested solely in the truth of the matter.

I am not trying to burn you anywhere. I am simply saying that this goddess myth with bellydance is inaccurate. Pretty much everyone on this board will probably agree with that. If you are a historian, it behooves you to find out the truth, or as close as you can get it. It seems to me that you haven't done what you ought to do, provided an annotated bibliography of your academic sources. Or am I mistaken in assuming that your major was in history?

Last edited:
Scathach, Aiofe, and Cuchulain are the ones I am most familiar with. Iona is the place where the mermaid fell in love with St Columba, and that's about as far as I know regarding Iona. Anyway, I am aware of these things, but it is more likely these were just people (as opposed to gods/goddesses). Do you have sources you can cite for these? I assume you must, as it was part of your thesis.

I'm a MacDonald. As a Campbell I am sure you know what that means. ;)

I am interested to know if you included in your thesis that Scotland and Ireland were the first two Christian countries. This is a long and detailed problem that I have run into everywhere. Whatever appeals most to people is what they follow. I am interested solely in the truth of the matter.

I am not trying to burn you anywhere. I am simply saying that this goddess myth with bellydance is inaccurate. Pretty much everyone on this board will probably agree with that. If you are a historian, it behooves you to find out the truth, or as close as you can get it. It seems to me that you haven't done what you ought to do, provided an annotated bibliography of your academic sources. Or am I mistaken in assuming that your major was in history?
Somehow I guessed you were a MacDonald, I suppose you are still holding 1692 against me...
I was a GEOLOGIST... you know... Rocks and stuff. I was lousy at history ,because I hated the history teacher who if I forgot a date used to beat me several times a week with a bit of broken chair leg he called Jimmy..

Last edited:

Aziyade

I love this idea and hate to see it abandoned. Can you still do the goddess theme, and just maybe find a way to word it so it's not horribly annoying? I love the idea of "Mythic Images" or something -- and you could explore other characters/archetypes that aren't technically goddesses. Valkyries, sprites, fairies, hell - I'll model for GNOMES. :) LOL

Oh and we have MAJOR issues with the Dolphin Lady, but the least of them is her "goddess" thing.

Reen.Blom

Hey hey I have a couple of those sword and all, just not a Scottish, but a reconstruction of 13-14 contury European dress, buy hey I know Rennaissance festivals annoy you....LOL:dance:

Reen.Blom

I love this idea and hate to see it abandoned. Can you still do the goddess theme, and just maybe find a way to word it so it's not horribly annoying? I love the idea of "Mythic Images" or something -- and you could explore other characters/archetypes that aren't technically goddesses. Valkyries, sprites, fairies, hell - I'll model for GNOMES. :) LOL

Oh and we have MAJOR issues with the Dolphin Lady, but the least of them is her "goddess" thing.
I would say the pictures speak loud enough! You dont have to write under them "nymph" or "goddess"..... But a collection must be released this way or the other!:D