Gothic Belly dance

da Sage

de Sage, your comments are fantastic :D but as someone who dabbled with Goth style in my high school days (I was never a very hard core Goth, just could not take it that seriously ;) ) it seemed to me that Goth subculture is not exactly encouraging of sunny dispositions.

Every community is different; I have know some incredibly peppy "goths". So much for reality and stereotypes matching up!

da Sage

In her article, Jehan talks about the performance as a "music video", and I think that is a better description of the final product than "dance performance". Although there was dancing involved, it seems to support to her music and scenes.

Recnadocir

Heyas,

I came across this clip, and was wondering if this is gothic belly dance? :confused: I don't actually know what Gothic Belly dance is to be honest.

I used to think Rachel Brices vesion was a bit gothic, but someone said to me it was Tribal Fusion with industrial music. If any body can explain to me what gothic belly dance is that would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BPKfCrv-ko&eurl=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvcGKFiO-xs&mode=related&search=

I think I like the second better though. :)

I couldn't get the first one to load, and I liked the second one. It is well produced, there is actually a lot of belly dance movement, and it looks like a couple of the dancers have some jazz and/or hip hop training.

Watching it, I realized that maybe I should call La Tentation (www.cobrajazzdance.com/LaTentation.html) Gothic belly dance. Although having the words belly dance in the description is sure to offend the belly dance police. Oh well. Who cares!

Recnadocir

I watched the performance of Jehan at the website (see Amulya's link) and I although I can only watch it in a very "shaky" way here and without sound, I agree with you that this dance was too far away from bellydance. However, I think not only Jehan is to be blamed but also the persons who made and sold this gothic bellydance DVD. They should have placed some kind of warning on the cover that there is a performance on it which is not suitable for young children to watch and can be shocky for some persons.

As soon as I reach 500, you should all have a piece of the virtual cake I'm going to post ;)

Hi Moon,
Cake would be nice, but I'd rather have a round trip airfare to Amsterdam- then we could hang out, you could show me the sites, we could put on a show!

Moon

recnadocir said:
Hi Moon,
Cake would be nice, but I'd rather have a round trip airfare to Amsterdam- then we could hang out, you could show me the sites, we could put on a show!

Hahahah sounds cool, really. However a few problems:
1. I've only been in Amsterdam once, when I was quite young, and as I have a terrible feeling of direction (or should I say, no feeling of direction?) I'm unable to show you the sites.
2. You're a pro and I'm a beginner so if we put up a show together you make me look extremely bad :p

Did you ever perform in the Netherlands by the way? Don't worry about people hating male dancers. Amsterdam is quite progressive. They might think you're gay, but who cares, gay people are very welcome in Amsterdam. However, there are also quite a lot of Middle Eastern men living there... hmmm.

Recnadocir

Hi Moon,

No, haven't yet visited the Netherlands, though I'd love to! Closest I've been was probably Brussels, or perhaps Cologne?

I hear the Queen's Birthday is quite the bash. And I'm quite sure I would feel safe belly dancing there. Hopefully Bel Cobra Dance will get invited to a festival in Europe, before too much longer. I keep making new dances, and people say I'm getting better and better, so eventually...

When I do come, we'll hook up!

R

Jeffrey

I know and have worked with several of those featured on this dvd

Gothic Belly Dance is very difficult to describe, a lot of times it looks like standard American Tribal Style and a lot of times it can look very Techno.
It is not meant as a "slap in the face" to the belly dance community, it's just a different and new style of belly dance that originally grew out of the "goth scene" but now has a much more diverse following. It is a very popular style in New York and there are quite a number of "tribal style" dancers that have been attracted to it. I like it very much, but I wouldn't want it as a steady diet, but that can be said of almost any style of belly dance. I celebrate diversity;)
I'm not sure what the vehemence is about this style. I remember that there were similar reactions to American Tribal Style when it was first introduced, and now that style has become accepted and nobody seems to remember the harsh criticism of it when it was first becoming popular.
Before you make a judgement and simply dismiss this style by the very short clips that you have seen, I recommend that you examine it a bit closer. Especially the incredible isolation moves by Ariellah Aflello (the first solo dancer pictured in the trailer release). She has some of the best technique I've seen in "Raqs Sharki" by anyone.
On September 17th in NYC there is going to be a performance including many of the artists featured in this dvd. It is called "Night of 1000 Goddesses" and it is being produced by Zan Asha of "Chovexani" (an Egyptian/Romani dancer and good friend to Jamilla and Petite Jamilla). I have been to many of their theatrical performances and they are quite spectacular, try it out. I'm not saying that you will be a convert to this style, but I think that you will appreciate it.
Respectfully submitted,
-Geoffrei

Sara

:)

I would if I was in America near NY, but I'mt he other side of the pond. :)
Sounds fun though.

Desideria

I think what he meant was for anyone in this particular forum responding to your question.
I am a profesional dancer trained in ballet, Flamenco, Indian, Samba and ME dance now for 20 years. I also do Gothic Ethno-Fusion Dance.

I perform traditional dance styles for the corporate events/functions. I only perform Gothic theme shows for the Gothic scene events , functions and nightclubs.

I think everyone here has a biased opinion about what Gothic dance is. I love all types of ethnic and alternative styles of music.
I incorporate ME dance into dark music that actually has ME instruments and singing in it. Dead Can Dance Corvus Corax ECT......

It is still Me dance as I DO the moves to the particular notes.A profesional dancer can dance to anthing as I was taught and learned by my peers. To put down a certain style just becaus you do not do it is just ignorant.
Everyone percieves dance styles their own way.
To have an indivitual mind is great!!! To be yourself and create an art form of your own interest and incorporate it with other art forms is quite interesting and ambitious.

To each their own but to everyone who put Gothic dancers down I say walk a mile in our shoes first before you judge because from what I seen your commments have been very unjustifiable to me. As you havent a clue what you speak of.

Desideria

Ah what else I wanted to say GOTHIC ME dance is a style of theatrical Elegance, drama and intrigue. An art form of dark allure and mysterious sensuality. Ah isnt ME dance that also.

Gabi

Ah what else I wanted to say GOTHIC ME dance is a style of theatrical Elegance, drama and intrigue. An art form of dark allure and mysterious sensuality. Ah isnt ME dance that also.

I agree with both you and Jeffrey.

My only contention is please let it be GOOD Gothic Belly Dance. The one I was commenting on didn't get it for me in performance, writing about said performance or the dance aspects of that performance.

I've attended a few Gothic drop in classes and much to my surprise the dancers were totally proficient in all the moves they just happen to also do and teach a Gothic version.

I agree with you - dance is dance and a dancer can dance to almost anything if they desire to learn it.

The same thing in the same style over and over can get beyond boring.

Jeffrey

Gothic Belly Dance

Yeah, the one dance on the dvd that seems to raise eyebrows is the S & M one by Jehan. Most of the others are not at all like that. Jehan pushes the envelope a bit. She happens to bee a very skilled traditionally trained ME dancer and I've attended a number of her performances. This is something a little new for her, and why not? She's trying something.
I know you Desi... I went to your site and looked through your gallery and in the last set of pictures at "The Fairy Fest", those were Casey and my drums and audio equipment behind you. We were the drummers for that event and you danced with our drumming later after you put your "civies" on. That was a fun event.

Mariesaffron

I do admire gothic Dance, gothic is a very old thing, you can visit museums with extensive Goth themes, it may had been call medieval or barroco, but the gothic tendency was clear; now it is becoming more and more defined, it can be very artistic if properly presented, it is a life style and they too has the right to belly dance if they so choose, there is not a code that said you should dress in a particular way if you want to belly dance. so let then be, I personally think Rachel Brice is very talented Gothic Dancer,

Desideria

Thank you also what comes to mind. What is GOTHIC? It is old world charm beauty and elegance. Certainly not Sadist, Masochist or Devil worship as unknown sources say we are. It is a artistic emotion of depth and passion deeper . If Gothic dance is not ME or any traditional dance. Then I am sory but I listen and danc e to nu,merous bands that not only have Me music in their songs but! Flamenco, Indian and other ethnic beats.

It is why there is Fusion styles traditional, alternative and Ethni blends of music. And when you come to think of it centurys ago each culture adopted dance styles and music from other cultures and eras. If you listen to Classical music you will also find dark, moody, sensual, mystique as well(GOTHIC) feel to the songs.

I do not believe because I enjoy Gothic music and dance to it that I am not a professionaly taught or natural dancer. As dance the music is in my blood. I put passion, emotion into all my art forms no matter what music I dance too. I was onwe of the performers at Zan Ashas fairy fest. And I enjoyed being part of open minded event. I saw different ME performances and I think its great if he has drum beats, ME music ITS ME DANCE!!! Case closed!

Moon

Thank you Desideria & Jeffrey for explaining more about gothic bellydance.
Do you know any good video clips of this style online? Cause most of the video clips in this thread aren't very nice or are not really gothic bellydance.

Sara

Nice to have another perspective. I know that gothic isn't about devil worship or anything, some of my friends are goths

Can you explain to me some more about the music though that you dance to? I do really like lots of nice floaty music, but is that the kind you dance to?

I didn't really like the Music clip because I thought it was a bit to much and it didn't seem to make much sense....:confused: I didn't like the quote about being 'part gypsy' though, because I have family who are Romany, and to be honest, didn't see it at all, and the term 'gypsy' isn't very nice to use. That is one thing I didn't understand too.

And Desi- I LOVE Indian dance, you seem to have a good variety of dances you have studied. :) I only hope I can get training in as many types of dance.

Last edited:

Desideria

Oh I do realize you were not implying that we are evil but I did see a recent post from someone that was just about applying we were.I am also wiccan/Pagan and am very spiritual aas well as a natural healer and consultant.

Well I had over 20 years of training. I started with Ballet in my youth, Flamenco at 12 so on and so forth. Gypsy to me is a worldy person who travels it is also someone I find to be of great knoweledge streetwise and mystical.. It doesnt have to be a insult Roms are not gypsys but Gypsys come from every culture. I greew up with European and kashmiri friends and family. Yes even a Romanian gypsy family who taught me their culture.

I dance to what ever moves me. I have been into all kinds of music since my youth. Especially R&R. I listen very much to the beat as well as the lyrics if it moves me I dance to it. If it brings out my sensuality and creative art form...

I can not say which bands or songs I have so many. Dead can dance ect......

I am booked for 2 upcoming Holloween shows. all I can say is I am working hard on my presence, choreography, costume and theme. It will be quite different ( as are all my show appearances for each event)As a matter of fact I am performing this weekend for a benefit for the Human Society and am doing a Arabic/Flamenco fusion number

well I hope that helps if you need more info go to my site or any Gothic Dance site. I have a whole page on me and my dance on http://www.khaalida.com/

Last edited: