Had This Out-of-Body-like Experience

AyaKara

I was practicing just now when all of a sudden, I was moving to the music that I had left on without thinking. I didn't realize it until I looked at the clock & saw how much time had passed :lol: but, it was the first time that I've ever felt so in-touch with music with my body (even if I wasn't dancing like a pro) & it felt really, really great.

Usually I spend my time in bed thinking of future choreographies to songs -- but this moment was completely different, because I wasn't thinking at all. When I connected moves together, I remembered the transitions that I liked later & made it a point to remember them! :D

Just wanted to share that with all of you. :)

For anyone who's wondering, this was the song it, with very slow, snake-y movements & lots of arms: :lol:

'Body Electric': Lana Del Rey
(On a side note, if you're into smooth, slow, entrancing music, Lana is the way to go ;) I recommend both of her albums! They're about American society from the POV of an American with very ironic & satirical lyrics. Of that album, my favorites are Ride, Cola, Gods & Monsters, & Bel Air [although I love all of them]. Try them!)

How about you guys? Let's talk about experiences like these! :dance:

Dunyah

I once danced a duet for a TV show - (community access station, so we did a whole show). There was a mirror in front of us, but it was narrow, so I could only see my partner in it. It was a strange experience to be moving and watching another body moving exactly the same way, it was a kind of out-of-body experience!

The first time I performed for people I felt like I left my body, I had to go be alone for awhile to recover afterward. Severe stage nerves!

Jane

It's called tarab or sultana when you get lost in Middle Eastern music. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent word for other styles of music.

Finding tarab is the number one reason I continue to belly dance. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but belly dance music is the only one that makes me feel that way :D

Farasha Hanem

Bollywood is the only other genre of music that makes me feel the way Middle Eastern music does. There's just something infectious and moving to me in both styles; it's hard for me to put it into words. The music speaks for itself. And although I like Western music, it doesn't give me that same feeling that ME and Bollywood music does, doesn't even come close.

Last edited:

bomu samba

Me too!

it was the first time that I've ever felt so in-touch with music with my body (even if I wasn't dancing like a pro) & it felt really, really great.
This happened to me yesterday at my first Egyptian workshop! It was on musicality and we all had to find a space and improvise to "Ya Msafer Wahdak" by Najat. I was really worried before I began - I was the least experienced there and have never really danced Egyptian style. But when the music began everything just clicked. I got lost in the dance and it felt fantastic!

I've only had the feeling once before but I didn't have the dance vocabulary to match, express or connect to the emotions the music made me feel. Tarab (thanks Jane!) has given me yet another reason to love belly dance!:D

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I love when this happens - this is what its all about!

The best time for me was a live music performance with "Light Rain".

Sophia Maria

Congratulations! This is what dancing is all about. This is "tarab" when dancing to Middle Eastern music. To American music...we don't have a word for the emotion. I suppose we just call it "getting lost in the music". I have felt this many times while dancing before, but unfortunately never on stage :(

I am with Jane here, I enjoy listening to a lot of music and get emotional about all my music, but I only truly feel a particular "tarab" feeling with Middle Eastern music. (Mostly Egyptian music, for me).

Sophia Maria

Definitely had an experience that was within the realm of tarab...I was dancing two days ago after a particularly stressful day, and during a probably 25 minute :shok: improv (don't think I've ever managed to improv for that long) to Lissa Fakir, Ana Fi Intizarak, and "Whisper Hungarian in my Ear" by the Toids, I was definitely in the zone. The last song stopped and I literally had no idea where I was for a few seconds! :lol::lol: If anyone hasn't heard the Toids' song before, I would definitely recommend it for improv. Also it's just beautiful to listen to.

Ariadne

In jazz, it's "in the zone".
It's not just dance styles that have this concept. I have yet to reach it dancing but I have experienced it once when performing an "oral interpretation". According to my professor at the time that "zone" is considered the ideal for the performing arts and highly sought after. It took nearly an hour for the performance high to wear off after that. If I could experience that during dance it would be amazing!

khanjar

It's called tarab or sultana when you get lost in Middle Eastern music. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent word for other styles of music.

Finding tarab is the number one reason I continue to belly dance. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but belly dance music is the only one that makes me feel that way :D
Tarab, interesting..

But having also experienced it myself of which I believed it was pure moving meditation, I want to experience it again and again and again, for it is something worthy to search for, and so I keep dancing.

But aware of it now, there has been times where I was aware something different was happening, but nothing like the first I experienced it, so I know it's there and will come back at some point, probably when I least expect it, but I like surprises.

But when I asked about what I experienced on here, the suggestion was it was referred to as the zone

But a quick search on tarab reveals ;

Musical Ecstasy, an attempt at a definition

Last edited: