Hair Hennaed...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Just to satisfy anyone's curiosity as its been discussed here a few times, here's what you look like for about 6 hours when you henna your hair. Not exactly glam, despite the crazy earrings I threw on this morning:
00.jpg

Shanazel

Dude, you're a heart throb with or without the shower cap. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've been thinking of trying henna. My sister uses it and has offered to help.
If you've been treating your hair with chemical dyes, proceed with caution. Check the "Henna for Hair" website for details, but they're not pretty! Short version, test some hair harvested from your hairbrush first.

Ariadne

If you've been treating your hair with chemical dyes, proceed with caution. Check the "Henna for Hair" website for details, but they're not pretty! Short version, test some hair harvested from your hairbrush first.
I don't treat my hair with anything. Ever. I think more then ten years ago I used a temporary dye once. It's what's holding me back from the Henna. The maintenance intimidates me since my hair is past my waist and there is a lot of it. (Fine but full.) I just don't know if I want to start anything I have to keep up.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't treat my hair with anything. Ever. I think more then ten years ago I used a temporary dye once. It's what's holding me back from the Henna. The maintenance intimidates me since my hair is past my waist and there is a lot of it. (Fine but full.) I just don't know if I want to start anything I have to keep up.
My suggestion, with hair like that, is to form a committee of one, elect yourself chairperson and appoint someone else to do it for you! With that said, you *MIGHT* be able to get away with only treating the roots every 6-8 weeks once you initially treated it as Henna is pretty permanent once applied - but it *can* start looking "mousy" on some people after its gone awhile without retreatment. Mine is short enough to where I just treat the whole thing each time and don't worry about it - and my ex-teacher in California had hair like yours and she did the whole thing each time. YMMV and all that. I *do* wish I could grow longer hair, but genetics are genetics...

Ariadne

Yeah, that's the advice my sister gave me too; which is why I asked if she would be willing to apply if I go through with it. Now I just gotta decide.

Your hair looks awesome BTW.

Shanazel

In college, I used to get clear "henna" put on my hair to add to its body. It wasn't actually henna but a different plant-extract that acted in a similar manner but didn't add color. I would never, ever do anything to permanently change the color of my hair. 1) What if I hate the results? and 2) What if I hate the upkeep? My hair isn't as thick as it used to be but it falls to the top of my thighs which means it would take a long, long time to grow out.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yeah, that's the advice my sister gave me too; which is why I asked if she would be willing to apply if I go through with it. Now I just gotta decide.

Your hair looks awesome BTW.
It hides an increasing amount of grey rather well, and works well with my naturally auburn hair - and thanx for your kind words. My wife threw a fit when I told her I was going to start hennaing my hair, and continued to kavetch right up to the point of when she saw the results for the first time. She was blown away at how good it looked. She still doesn't like the smell, which is odd as most people like it, including me.

@Shanazel - harvest some hair from your hairbrush and henna that to see if you like it or not. I can only dream of hair as long as yours!

Greek Bonfire

I used henna years ago just for fun. It definitely is very messy but the results afterwards were great. I have fine hair but a lot of it; however, the henna made my hair a little "coarser" and just enough to give it the body coarser hair has.

Shanazel

Once upon a time, I tried red hair. It was a disaster. My skin tones are completely wrong. At 65, my hair is still brown except for a few strands at my temples which I kinda like, so I'll go on being natural. I've cut a couple of inches off my hair during covid and am thinking about a couple more just to even it up. I haven't been able to go to my usual hair guy who does maintenance on it and it looks a little worn at the edges.

Ariadne

Tell me about it. I need a trim so bad it’s driving me nuts. I’m the opposite of you for hair color, I’ve been going white since my sixteenth birthday and had a white streak for more then 20 years (it’s still there but has been joined by many siblings). I’ve always had red tones to my hair though so coloring wont be an issue. Thing is, does anyone know how it will take on my white hair?

Yes I’m waffling... I really can’t seem to decide.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Tell me about it. I need a trim so bad it’s driving me nuts. I’m the opposite of you for hair color, I’ve been going white since my sixteenth birthday and had a white streak for more then 20 years (it’s still there but has been joined by many siblings). I’ve always had red tones to my hair though so coloring wont be an issue. Thing is, does anyone know how it will take on my white hair?

Yes I’m waffling... I really can’t seem to decide.
Harvest hair from your hairbrush, and try it! You'll see exactly what it does to both your grey and your pigmented hair. Brown hair will generally turn auburn, but try it.