Hairstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

elly-beth

Hi I love hair it all looks good i think...one of my personal faves when summer dancing is to wrap it up with a long peice of material like a turban....goes well with the traditional a-line egyptian costumes...

Yshka

Good idea Elly-Beth. For wrapping my hair in Egyptian style folklore dance I usually wear something like a muslem headscarf or small veil of some kind.
Never tried a turban but I might, to see how it looks;)

I'll stick with small hairclips (like the way I wear my hair in the avatar) to keep my hair out of my face. My hair is ultra-sticky when lipgloss/lipstick is involved:D

Gabriella

Hello, I have long curly and really wild hair and I can´t do anything with my hair, so they are always in my eyes when I dance. But on the other side I don´t like my hair in tail. Who will be sooooo nice and give me some advice?
Thanx a lot !!!!:rolleyes:

Erina

I like wearing my hair loose when dancing as I feel better and more into dancing. The only problem for me is that I hate my hair- its so curly doesnt lie flat.

And just reading your post, Gabriella, It seems we have a similar problem :D

The thing is about using a headband, yes it does keep my hair out of my face but if my hair all goes back it really doesn't complement, at least with, me. It just gets even bigger and wilder but only behind my head- just doesn-t look good.

Usually when I am fed up with my hair I make a small bun usuing the front bits of my hair and tie it up quite high. That way my hair is still out at the back and sides, just not in my face and it doesn't look so bad as tying it up alltogether...

Amulya

I hate wearing it loose when I dance, but it is expected. People are so disappointed when I have it up, I like to put it in a bun with all flowers in it. Wearing it loose is just a pain, it gets tangled in my bra and belt and it is hard to change my costume after a performance because of that.

Gabriella

Ojojooooj Louise, big problem we have the same !!! (Thanx for the advices which you wrote me all), but I have one thing more. I was made shopping yesterday and I saw in one shop something for our really wild curls with sparkly effect without gluing the hair. It´s a little pink bottle - L´oreál Paris - Hot curl. I have tried it and the effect was quite good (finally I don´t look like witch :D )

And also I have thought about some turban, but I haven´t tried yet how to make it. Could you please write me how to make the turban and what I need to do that? Thanx a lot. :rolleyes:

Gabriella

To Shanazel

Don´t worry, my dear, Shanazel, read my previous advice, it is also for straight haired girls :rolleyes: !!! So one universal stuff for wild and also straight hair. You need only wet hair :)D ), that little pink bottle with magic liquid and .... I really don´t know how to say in english (due to the fact that I´m from Slovakia), however, you use it when you want to dry your hair (it makes hot air ;) ) You have to lean forward, splash the liquid on your hair and after that only dry, dry, dry .... or you can use gofer also.

Have fun, I keep you fingers crossed :rolleyes: !!!

elly-beth

Turbans

Hello I wish I had fairy hair too its not fair.....I have to wrap mine up in knots to get it to go curly....
OK TURBANS...:D
I use a strechy peice of material with sparkles if you want....long enough to wrap around my head and hair about three times....now depending on the look i am after i can pull all my hair back or only the front....
then with the middle of the wrap (material) I put it on like a head band then keep wraping untill the ends meet at the back..... alll the messy bits of material gets tucked back into its self and there you go........now you can shimmy shimmy shimmy and the cane MIGHT not fall off your head...... just experiment with the wraping untill you find a look that suits and it adds ommph to a costume

(look out mouse another thing to add to your shopping list lol)

Gabriella

Turban II

He he he, I have managed turban veeery well, BUT I have long curly hair and with turban I look like gypsy :D , but it is good. I have to get my hair under the turban to hide them. :rolleyes:

And what about your experiences ? ;)

elly-beth

and what about your experiances

One time at a fest i was doing a very aggressive dance in pants, turban and sheath and the audiance thought i was a very beautiful man rather than a godess like i am .. it was very funny afterwards when the BLOKES came up to get the low down and realised i was a chick (he he he ) did'nt get any phon e numbers though,,.,,,

PhysicsFairy

I have very long hair and it's dead straight. I have never been able to keep any styles in it no matter how much heat or product I use. Even teasing my hair into knots slides right out!!
In our troupe, we wear our hair out for performances, which, for me is annoying because our cholis are of panne (crushed) velevt, and long hair like mine just rubs against it to become very statically charged - on a dry day, at the end of a performance, my hair becomes a really scary affair!!

It's for this reason I tend to put my hairup for classes.

MirahAmmal

Hey PhysicsFairy,

I have long straight hair too (though as I'm getting older it's getting some weird texture/curl in the underside. Odd.) Anyhow, there are some things that I've found help with the static (and the accompanying look) straight hair can get. There are some "shine" and smoothing products work well to keep hair smooth and less staticy (I use one from John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette line, but there are a lot of different ones.) You smooth a small amt through your hair while it's wet--less than you think initially. Concentrate on the ends and the hair below the neck. Also I've found if I keep my hair trimmed and the ends moisturized, it helps it hang together nicer. If the ends start to get ragged (different lengths etc) they get more static prone and fly-away looking.

gwinity

*Resurrecting this thread because I'm considering a change in hairstyles*

I'm considering hacking off my boob-length, terribly thick hair and going for something much cooler over summer. The thing is: when my hair is really short (like I'm planning), it turns into cherub-style curls. Cooler, and easier to maintain, but is it really a good look for a dancer? :) I've seen dancers with short spiky hair, but never curls.

Aniseteph, I know you said earlier in this thread that you had short hair. Did you style it at all for dancing?

Zurah

Cherub-style curls? Why not? Sounds very Dina-esque to me, even if it's shorter... it's one of those things I would have loved to have, but know I never will. Oh well, it never would have worked with my face anyway.

tarasamar

short haired dancer

my hair is medium length, and i wear extensions when i dance, at least most of the time...cuz when i don't, i have nothing to toss, adn it looks a bit silly when i toss my medium-length hair around.

Isetnofret

My hair is very thin, straight and medium length (or long, I'm not sure about the definition of long hair... it's over shoulder length anyway but doesn't quite reach my waist), it won't grow longer no matter how hard I try... I normally braid it when it's wet the night before the performance and open the braids just before dancing, it's the only way to give my hair some volume. I may also add some small braids to keep the hair away from my mouth (not nice to spit hair out while dancing).

People have told me that hair normally looks thicker when it's short or layered. I have tried both and it just makes it look even thinner, like I had no hair at all (and I don't feel like myself with short hair). :confused:

Last edited:

Venefica

Usualy thin hair looks better short, but not always, it depend on how the ahir sit on your head.

Short hair is above the ears, medium length is from the ears and gown to the sholders, then comes sholder leng witich is aboute the sholders. Long hair is hair from sholders to halfway down the back and the rest is very long hair. Or alt least those is the definitions I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.