Help me get into Turkish music?!

asia_minor

well...here are some advice from a turkish guy:cool:

"In An Egyptian Garden" by Tarik Bulut and his Turkish Dance Orchestra. it's a great album witch some really dope tunes. most of the songs are tradiotional Turkish Folk tunes for example "Zeytinyagli Yiyemem" or "Karabiberim". also there is a beautiful Halay song to wich you can also dance some BD. this record is definitly a right choice for belly dancing. Bulut had another album called "Turkish Delight" (with belly dance legend Nejla Ates). but unfortunatlly i've never heard that record so i can't say anything about it.
also check out the albums of Ötel Türkbas. my favorite one is "Dance Into Your Sultan's Heart" wich has a pretty funky sound with electric guitars, moog and bozoukia. her most popular album "Make Your Husband Into A Sultan" is another masterpiece. specially the musicians on this records are legends (just one name: MUSTAFA KANDIRALI).
if you want Turkish Dance Moods with more funky rythms than you got to check out the "Oyun Havalari" albums by Zafer Dilek. they are two volumes of this. and they are both great (my personal favorite is the secound volume. especially "Arabi Oyun Havasi" and "Tulum" are baaaad tunes).
also check out Esin Engin, Okay Temiz or Burhan Öcal.

Tarik Bulut: Halay YouTube - Tar?k Bulut Orchestra - Halay
Özel Türkbas: Organ Improvisation YouTube - Ozel Turkbas - Organ Improvisation
Zafer Dilek: Arabi Oyun Havasi YouTube - Zafer Dilek - Arabi Oyun Havas?
Modern Sazlardan Oyun Havalari: Zühtü YouTube - Modern Sazlardan Oyun Havalari - Zühtü
Kupa Dörtlüsü: Konyali & Rumeli Karsilamasi YouTube - Kupa Dörtlüsü - Konyal? & Rumeli Kar??lamas?
Esin Engin: Anadolu Ciftetellisi (also called Sultana Ciftetellisi) YouTube - Esin Engin ve orkestras? - Anadolu Çiftetellisi
Okay Temiz: Denizalti Rüzgarlari YouTube - Okay Temiz - Denizalti Rüzgarlari (1976)
Özdemir Erdogan: Haydi Bastir YouTube - Özdemir Erdogan Ve Sivrisinek Saz Caz Orkestra Haydi Bastir (Turkey)

sure not all of the links are belly dance music but well...you can dance to it;)

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

thank you! ^^

Thank you very much for the helpful YouTube links, asia_minor! :D And welcome to the forum, we hope you enjoy it here. :)

Eshta

Thank you everyone, there have been some really great stuff!

I've also managed to find some fun poppy stuff in the 'youtube recommends' links, I'll post them up at some point in the future!

candi

I am no means an expert at Turkish Music but I work a lot in Turkish restaurants. I have some Turkish people who come but its mainly British. I decided ages ago to only use Turkish music. Unfortunately I am not a great lover of Turkish music I don't particularly find the traditional stuff easy to listen to. anyway here are some songs that have stood me in good stead. They are not new by any means but people seem to like them.
I use a lot of what is classed as Arabesque type music because I find this the most like Egyptian music which I love so I am more inspired to dance to it.
Here is some music that has been worth its weight in gold to me. This is Azize by Hilal Cebeci. Its the same tune as Aziza
YouTube - Hilal Cebeci - Azize

candi

Ibrahim Tatlises is a famous Arabesque atyle singer (Ibo from the TV show). I use a few of his songs. Again none of them are particularly new.
This is kavur baliklari which is a modern take on a folksong. The actual tune starts about 57sec into the video. The Turkish guys particularly seem to like this one
YouTube - Kavur baliklari

And this one from the CD Tek Tek. This is called Tabi Tabi
YouTube - ibrahim Tatlises TABi TABi (Video Klip)

For an entrance at the moment I am using Rakkas from the CD Yeni Mezdeke which has been repackaged a few times and sold under various names including Turkilicious.

Other names to look out for are
Gokhan Ozen
Sibal Can
Mustapha Sandal

And I got a lot of good stuff to look out for when I put Turkish V Arabic in the search on the youtube because I got to know the Turkish versions of a lot of arabic songs I already knew.

Hope this helps a bit

Eshta

Candi!!!! Big kiss and cuddle to ya!

That's perfect, sounds like you're in the same boat as I am! I discovered the 'rakkas' song only last week, so am looking forward to trying that out. Thanks for the other suggestions, they seem to be exactly what I'm after.

Shakti

I know this is the music post but if you would like some insight/overview of Turkish bellydance I would be happy to give you my knowledge on the style.just let me know.
Shakti

Farasha Hanem

I know this is the music post but if you would like some insight/overview of Turkish bellydance I would be happy to give you my knowledge on the style.just let me know.
Shakti
Hope I'm not butting in, but I'd be interested, Shakti. Although I've never had lessons in Turkish bellydance, I'd love to learn. :)

Shakti

Hi Farasha

I will start a new thread in the Youtube video section about Turkish Dance.

Kind Wishes,

Shakti

Meera

I think I might be able to help here. Im new at belly dancing but I love Turkish music. I hope these are okay :)

Bendeniz-Catlat
YouTube - Bendeniz - Catlat

Niyaz - Beni Beni
YouTube - Niyaz - Beni Beni

Bendeniz - Kirmizi Biber
YouTube - Bendeniz - Kirmizi Biber

Hadise - Deli Oğlan
YouTube - Hadise - Deli O?lan

Bengü-Bağlasan Durmam
YouTube - Ba?lasan Durmam (Bengü)

Ziynet Sali-Zordur Oğlum
YouTube - Ziynet Sali - Zordur Oglum

Sibel Can - Bütün Asklar Alaturka
YouTube - Sibel Can - Bütün Asklar Alaturka ( Yeni 2009 )

Ziynet Sali - Olmaz olsun
YouTube - Ziynet Sali - Olmaz olsun

Atiye Deniz - Beyaz Eşya
YouTube - Atiye Deniz - Beyaz E?ya

Sezen Aksu-Hadi Bakalim
YouTube - SEZEN AKSU HAD? BAKALIM

Tarkan -Şımarık
YouTube - Kiss Kiss -Tarkan ??mar?k
ommg hes soo cute lol

Tarkan - Öp
YouTube - Tarkan - Öp [HD]

Atiye Deniz-Gözyaşlarım
YouTube - Atiye Deniz-Gözya?lar?m

Hande Yener-Yalanın Batsın
YouTube - Yalan?n Bats?n (Hande Yener)

I hope these help you find more Turkish music :)

Jeanne

Wow, what great lists of links!

I didn't know this until reading about it today, but a radio host here in the Bay Area is very into Turkish music -- he organizes a tour to Turkey every year and is bringing some artists into town for a concert this week and also to record an album. Read about it here:
Turkish musicians inspire Ron Scudder

Greek Bonfire

Hope I'm not butting in, but I'd be interested, Shakti. Although I've never had lessons in Turkish bellydance, I'd love to learn. :)
Yes, me too - at my first opportunity!

This is a little more Modern - "Turkish Bellydance" by Shahrazat. Also, I think Michael Beard and John Bilzjikian have albums that feature Turkish Oryentale.

Farasha Hanem

Yes, me too - at my first opportunity!

This is a little more Modern - "Turkish Bellydance" by Shahrazat. Also, I think Michael Beard and John Bilzjikian have albums that feature Turkish Oryentale.
I think I might have that first one on your list, Bonfire. :shok: *makes note to check artist later*