Help who went to London's Fantasia?

lizaj

I have just bought the double DVD of London's Fantasia Festival ealier this month. The filming is very good for a live theatre show and the DVD is chaptered but the labels are of the performance with no dancers accredited. I'm writing a review for our mag,and I only recognise a few of the dancers so if you were there, can you help me identifiy the performers and what they did?

Tezirah

I was there, and I may still have a programme knocking around, but I expect if you e-mailed them they could send you one. Let me know if not and if I still have it I'll post it to you. One thing to watch out for though, a couple of listed performers didn't actually perform, but you would probably be able to identify the missing ones because I think the music was also listed in the programme.

I'd be interested to know what you make of one particular performance near to the end, which I personally found quite disturbing and so did other people near to me in the audience (I haven't had a chance to watch my DVD yet, but I presume it was included). I'm not convinced it had any business being in a belly dance show. If it's on the DVD, you will know what one I am talking about! Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned!!

Aniseteph

Oh dear, does the UK have it's own answer to the infamous Kaya&Sadie number?

I did wonder how Cancan workshops fitted in to an Arabic Dance Festival, so it wasn't cancanbellydance fusion was it? (I can't see how that's possible, but hey... :confused:).

Tezirah

There was a can-can number, but that was good fun. Also a burlesque-ish number - not so sure about that's place in a bellydance show, but in reasonably good taste, so no further comment. No, this was another kettle of fish entirely. Anybody who saw the show should know the performance I mean.

lizaj

I was there, and I may still have a programme knocking around, but I expect if you e-mailed them they could send you one. Let me know if not and if I still have it I'll post it to you. One thing to watch out for though, a couple of listed performers didn't actually perform, but you would probably be able to identify the missing ones because I think the music was also listed in the programme.

I'd be interested to know what you make of one particular performance near to the end, which I personally found quite disturbing and so did other people near to me in the audience (I haven't had a chance to watch my DVD yet, but I presume it was included). I'm not convinced it had any business being in a belly dance show. If it's on the DVD, you will know what one I am talking about! Or maybe I'm just too old fashioned!!

I have and I think we concur on being old-fashioned .
I shall say no more and fix on some lovely Orientale and tight ATS?!

Caroline_afifi

There was a can-can number, but that was good fun. Also a burlesque-ish number - not so sure about that's place in a bellydance show, but in reasonably good taste, so no further comment. No, this was another kettle of fish entirely. Anybody who saw the show should know the performance I mean.

Good fun? yes, possibly but....

No wonder we continuously have threads about the confused public, being pieces of meat, not being paid properly and generrally being misunderstood.

We really cant moan about these things without looking much closer to home as to why it continues to happen.

If you want can can and burlesque then flamin go to can can and burlesque classes! dont you say...:think:

I had a burlesque routine in a theatre piece I did 10 years ago. The performance examined how the West drew on Orientalist themes in the last 100 years... I had no idea 10 years later it would become part of the scene for real...maybe it was a premonition :lol:

Where has my crystal ball gone.. let me see what we have to look forward to in another 10 years time... :rolleyes:

karena

I had a burlesque routine in a theatre piece I did 10 years ago. The performance examined how the West drew on Orientalist themes in the last 100 years... I had no idea 10 years later it would become part of the scene for real...maybe it was a premonition :lol:

So it was you who started it :lol:

lizaj

I wouldn't make general review here on OD s I want to do that n my mag. I suppose as in all things we have our personal preferences and judging by the audience reactions , they were having a good time and that's what matters.
Also watching a show on a DVD is very different to being there. You lose an awful lot and context etc.
When I review DVD it's about the quality of the product, the usefulness as well as the content.
I just have to make one comment that on buying a DVD os a show that is entitled London's Arabic Dance Festival, I was surprsed by some of the content and shocked by one item.
A wide variety of fusion is the norm. these days and can be just as entertaining even for an audience of belly dancers and it also will reflect what is being taught at the Festival.
It is however another case of "labelling!"
By the way I have been offeredthe programme of the platform by a performer so I can match up the acts with the dancers but any more information is welcome.

Tezirah

Good fun? yes, possibly but....

No wonder we continuously have threads about the confused public, being pieces of meat, not being paid properly and generrally being misunderstood.

We really cant moan about these things without looking much closer to home as to why it continues to happen.

If you want can can and burlesque then flamin go to can can and burlesque classes! dont you say...:think:

Where has my crystal ball gone.. let me see what we have to look forward to in another 10 years time... :rolleyes:

I admit I would have preferred not to have the can-can and burlesque in the programme. But to be fair, these were being taught in the workshops and a lot of people would disagree with me and say lets have some variety. At least in those two numbers the performers managed to end up with the same amount of clothes they started with!

Caroline_afifi

[
QUOTE=Tezirah;140587]I admit I would have preferred not to have the can-can and burlesque in the programme. But to be fair, these were being taught in the workshops and a lot of people would disagree with me and say lets have some variety. At least in those two numbers the performers managed to end up with the same amount of clothes they started with!
[/QUOTE]

Thank God for small mercies!! :lol:

I too like the odd bit of variety... a show which says..'and now for something a little different to entertain you all...'

These days in the UK (as I can only speak for the UK), that 'little different' is good ME dance.

Thank goodness for events like JOY where you can truly appreciate those little extras because they are not the main menu of the festival.