help with music interpretation and choreo for a showcase

RayaDancer

hello
i am doing a showcase next week. i had decided to go with a baladi style piece "el hob halal" by hossam ramzy. i picked that because the dance just seemed to flow right out of me and it just felt right.
now as weeks have passed and ive been breaking down my choreo and analyzing it, i feel confused. i'm no expert but i thought it was a baladi, it has a very long taqsim, maqsum in the middle and fellahi at the end. but the feel of it is almost more sharqi than baladi to me sometimes and i realize that im doing some sharqi moves... the maqsum doesnt seem very "earthy" to me.
so my first question is... is that wrong to do some sharqi moves when i feel like the music calls for it?
second question is about costuming. im making my own bedlah, but im up in the air about wearing a body stocking to cover the midriff. i feel that the piece is definitely too cabaret to call for galabeyah (the one that i have anyway is def. NOT fancy!), plus the showcase is a mixed crowd of adults, plus im in the middle of NYC so modesty isnt exactly an issue either. im just thinking about "authenticity"; how Egyptian should i be? :lol:
any input is greatly appreciated!!!:D Thanks!

Aniseteph

I'm no expert either but I know what you mean - when the melody kicks in it gets quite lyrical and flowy. I'd say go with the music.

Likewise the costuming - too fancy for a plain folky galebeya, but personally I don't think the loooong taqsim goes with a 2 piece. I really like the idea of a body stocking for a bit of coverage, maybe to match the bedlah?

Greek Bonfire

If it's a cabaret style show and the crowd is mostly western, you could probably get away with the mixed styles. I would stay with ME styles though. In fact, most of use mix up the ME dances here anyway. If the crowd is mostly ME though, I would go more for authenticity.

Anthea Kawakib

I've used that same piece before, really love it. People call that a beledi progression, and it's very Egyptian so sharki it up!. Just remembered I have it on youtube :lol:
YouTube - Anthea Kawakib Raks Sharki Beledi Taqsim Improvisation
yes I know I'm not moving much, unfortunately my old hip was really bothering me - my new one works much better :clap:

there's also a long thread on tribe.net in the Egyptian tribe on this type of piece:
Egyptian Style - tribe.net

hello
i am doing a showcase next week. i had decided to go with a baladi style piece "el hob halal" by hossam ramzy. i picked that because the dance just seemed to flow right out of me and it just felt right.
now as weeks have passed and ive been breaking down my choreo and analyzing it, i feel confused. i'm no expert but i thought it was a baladi, it has a very long taqsim, maqsum in the middle and fellahi at the end. but the feel of it is almost more sharqi than baladi to me sometimes and i realize that im doing some sharqi moves... the maqsum doesnt seem very "earthy" to me.
so my first question is... is that wrong to do some sharqi moves when i feel like the music calls for it?
second question is about costuming. im making my own bedlah, but im up in the air about wearing a body stocking to cover the midriff. i feel that the piece is definitely too cabaret to call for galabeyah (the one that i have anyway is def. NOT fancy!), plus the showcase is a mixed crowd of adults, plus im in the middle of NYC so modesty isnt exactly an issue either. im just thinking about "authenticity"; how Egyptian should i be? :lol:
any input is greatly appreciated!!!:D Thanks!

RayaDancer

thanks everyone for the support and advice!
My performance was last wednesday and it went really well!
And Anthea I did see your performance on youtube... i thought it was great! :clap::clap:
thanks for the article recommendation.