Hey, I know her!

Nejmeh

Well, doh, she`s me:mad:!

Found a clip on youtube this morning of our practice sessions before a big show. Put there without permission, with everybodys face clear and obvious!

Well, I am angry as hell so I`m afraid I`ll rant, so I`ll keep it short. I got the lady to put the vid on private, but I want it off of youtube completely! I don`t want me on there and especially not in this way! This is not allowed is it?!

Elfie

The woman should have blurred the faces, that is certain. You and the others in the class who are also bothered by this should ask her - politely - to remove the video until your faces are all blurred. This can be sone simply with windows movie maker or any other video editing program. If there are several of you displeased, and being nice, she should comply with your wishes.

Take a few deep breaths. No, it isn't okay for her to do this, but I'm sure she just wasn't thinking about the other people in the video... only the person she wanted shown. Sadly, most people aren't used to thinking about how their actions affect others. It's become a fact of society - consideration has become "old fashioned".

I understand how you feel. It'll be okay, though. I'm sure she'll understand why it bothers you and the rest (if there are any) of the ladies too. Blurring the faces would be enough for you, wouldn't it? You can keep your anonymity and she can keep her video, after she does the edits. Win win, everyone walks away happy. Just breathe. *hugs*

Greek Bonfire

But I would tell her to blur your face. I wouldn't like it if someone did this to me either. If you want to get really serious, you could see if you could file a claim with YouTube if you are really intent on this. Some people do not want to be found for maybe safety reasons or just plain private ones, like yours.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
My sympathy and empathy to you. Much to my horror, I appeared on youtube after our last rec center performance. The mother of one of my students taped the dance she was in and then my comic dance as well. I am not happy, but since my name does not appear and you can't see my face under the cowboy hat, I've let it slide. Still... not cool.

Nejmeh

Thanks ladies, so it isn`t just me who finds this weird. And thanks for the advice, blurring out faces would do. I send her a message on youtube to ask her to remove it completely but I havent got a message back yet...if she does reply I can offer a compromise.

Elfie, I think you`ve got it spot on, she wasn`t thinking about the rest of us, only about herself. I really want to think the best of her, but she was already very selfish during the preparations, demanding leadparts etc.
The whole 'school'is in the vid, from ultra beginners(as she was) untill the advanced, I mailed my teacher and she didnt know either! Initially the girl told us this taping was for practice at home(and she could use the practice, so, ok...) The most creepy part was that the vid had no credits to our teacher, no referrence to our show, no music refference, so I was just lucky to stumble upon it.. it made me feel she knows this isn`t ok.

greek bonfire: well, it is actually mainly a safety reason why I don`t want myself on anywhere without my explicit permission. I have some family who still don`t quite agree with me staying in holland and I am very happy none of them know excactly how I look precisely or where I am.
I`ve been carefull with this since I was small, I just don`t want the risk to be married off and be deported to another country and now this...:mad:

shanazel: I knew there where good uses for cowboyhats, from now on I will not enter class without one!

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
You can get youtube to take it off. Flag the video and fill in the information about why it should not be on there. Such as nobody in the video had given their permission to be put up on youtube.

Blurring of the face is only good if the person knows how to do it and has the expensive program to do it. Plus they have to take the video off, do the editing, and then reload it. MOST of the people on youtube don't know how to do it let alone have the program to do it.

Best bet is if she does nothing with it, you flag the video for youtube.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
shanazel: I knew there where good uses for cowboyhats, from now on I will not enter class without one!
Sounds like you may also need a bandana pulled u0p over your face like a bandit. :D

Seriously, people who post dances are eager to be part of the worldwide display and can't imagine a) someone else might not be eager to be on public display and 2) someone might actually be endangered by being on public display.

I've had people seriously suggest that I publish my writing on line "to get it out in front of the public" or "Get free publicity" or some such b***. They don't grasp I get PAID for doing this work and am not interested in entertaining the public pro-bono. Same with dancing: come do this free show and THINK of all the publicity you'll get; come be on this youtube video and think of all the people who will see you!

Making a living in the arts is hard because there are so many people and organizations eager to give you PUBLICITY in return for a free performance or a donated painting or whatever.

Hmm, I think I just went off topic and very nearly on a rant. Sorry. I just entered a juried show only to have it suggested that I donate my project to be auctioned off for the good cause the show supports. :mad: I hate having someone try and guilt trip me into doing good deeds.

Chani

I had to explain to a friend why she couldn't upload our performance clips without express permission from everybody in the clips. She is so keen to see herself up there it hadn't occurred to her that anybody wouldn't want to be on Youtube.

da Sage

Well, doh, she`s me:mad:!

Found a clip on youtube this morning of our practice sessions before a big show. Put there without permission, with everybodys face clear and obvious!

Well, I am angry as hell so I`m afraid I`ll rant, so I`ll keep it short. I got the lady to put the vid on private, but I want it off of youtube completely! I don`t want me on there and especially not in this way! This is not allowed is it?!
I'm glad you went to both her and the teacher about it. I don't think practices should ever be shared in this way.

I also have video of myself online, put up by someone else...I was not happy about it, but I made the choice to dance in public (casual dance situation w/ several others in the shot, so not a performance). If anyone sees it, I hope they remember that it's JUST SOCIAL DANCING, not meant to be a demonstration of my best skills.

Pleasant dancer

Sounds like you may also need a bandana pulled u0p over your face like a bandit. :D

Seriously, people who post dances are eager to be part of the worldwide display and can't imagine a) someone else might not be eager to be on public display and 2) someone might actually be endangered by being on public display.

I've had people seriously suggest that I publish my writing on line "to get it out in front of the public" or "Get free publicity" or some such b***. They don't grasp I get PAID for doing this work and am not interested in entertaining the public pro-bono. Same with dancing: come do this free show and THINK of all the publicity you'll get; come be on this youtube video and think of all the people who will see you!

Making a living in the arts is hard because there are so many people and organizations eager to give you PUBLICITY in return for a free performance or a donated painting or whatever.

Hmm, I think I just went off topic and very nearly on a rant. Sorry. I just entered a juried show only to have it suggested that I donate my project to be auctioned off for the good cause the show supports. :mad: I hate having someone try and guilt trip me into doing good deeds.
Totally agree with you. I have to stop myself from being suckered in immediately and now tend to say "Let me think about one before I commit". The sort of publicity generated from this type of thing is not always worth it in my experience, people forgot who gave the freebie, but tend to remember you if you charge! Or am I being cynical?! :think:

seona

Hi Nejmeh, I feel for you, I would just die if someone posted me on youtube without my permission, I hope I never end up in that situation!

This situation happened once to some dancers I know. They were performing at a community festival and someone put them on youtube, but editied it to his own music and made them look very silly. So they contacted him and asked him to take off - which he did and he apologised.
I remember at the time discussing it and I think someone said that if you are in a public place then you have to accept that you could end up being filmed/photographed and put on things like youtube.

I know (op) was filmed practasing so it's a different situation but what are the legalities of these situations? If you perform in a public place do you just have to accept the fact you may end up online? Or what if someone films you at a hafla? Is that different? Should the person ask before they film you at hafla? And do they have the right to put you online?

I imagine the law maybe different for different countries? I was just wondering if anyone knows?

Greek Bonfire

You should be asked if that is okay with you. One time I was taking a class and a reporter wanted to observe the class, then take pictures to be put in the local paper. So our instructor asked if we had any objection, and we all were okay with it. But I was glad that she asked, as I got my photo in the paper!

OTOH, I've been at other events where I was told I would be videotaped and could see the video on YouTube or that it would be sent to me, but I never got them. Of course, if I had had any objection, I would've said something up front.

And in Nejmeh's case, she had a very good reason not to be videotaped, but just the fact that you don't want it should be observed.

Yame

Ask her to take it down. If she doesn't, ask youtube to take it down.

I have plenty of videos on youtube and have no problem being in the public view, BUT I do like to have control over my image and wouldn't just want anything to be up there. There are times where during performances or during social dancing people have taken video of me without my permission, and who knows where those videos ended up, but in those cases I was dancing in public and that's a different story. It still can be kind of creepy/uncomfortable/annoying/not cool, but it is much worse when someone posts a video of what was a private rehearsal!

I use video as a tool all the time, I have recorded group rehearsals of every group piece I've done to see it from a third-person perspective and send it to the other group members who also want to see. I wouldn't post these videos because practice is just that... practice. I also have videos of the actual group performances. Some of those, I would like to post, but I would not post unless I had the approval of every person in the group.

Blurring faces is not that easy to do, btw. Windows movie maker doesn't do it, so she doesn't necessarily have the software needed.

Greek Bonfire

The last teacher I had would let someone videotape our practice choreographies for study purposes only. She was very emphatic that it not be released or there would be the devil to pay. Also, when she had haflas, she would have our performances videotaped but asked our express permission first. This is the way it should be.

Yame

So, not long after I reply to this thread, I come to find out someone has been re-posting my videos (some of which are old and I am not proud of, and have set to private on my own channel) on their channel.
Needless to say, I am not a happy camper.

Nejmeh

So, not long after I reply to this thread, I come to find out someone has been re-posting my videos (some of which are old and I am not proud of, and have set to private on my own channel) on their channel.
Needless to say, I am not a happy camper.
My deepest symphatie! This is why I am not happy she put on private, what if somebody copies it?!

I would think a bit different if this would have been a public thing or the show itself(which was not allowed to tape so problem solved). In that case, thats a risc, but thats also why I don`t perform in grant public(bd scene, no problem, I thought they knew the unwritten rules)

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
My deepest symphatie! This is why I am not happy she put on private, what if somebody copies it?!
If it set to private only she can see and access it, nobody will be able to copy it. If you can still see the video then NO it is not set to private. However if she ever sets it back to public then yes people do have programs to copy videos from youtube and any site easily if they want to.

The only way you could have totally removed it was to do as I instructed earlier. That was to flag the video and have youtube remove it. Now that it is set to private you can't do this until she sets it back to public.

Yame

If it set to private only she can see and access it, nobody will be able to copy it. If you can still see the video then NO it is not set to private. However if she ever sets it back to public then yes people do have programs to copy videos from youtube and any site easily if they want to.
Not necessarily. If you set a video to private on youtube, you can still select specific users who can see it. So if she chose to, she could have set it to private but still allowed some of her friends to see it. In theory, those people could in turn download the video and it could turn up again.

To the OP: Listen, you know this girl in person. This isn't some random youtube person who copied a video of you and reposted it, or someone who recorded a performance and posted it without your permission and you have no idea who they are. If you've rehearsed with her, you must see her in person. If you still have any concerns, you should address them with her in person.

Nejmeh

The only way you could have totally removed it was to do as I instructed earlier. That was to flag the video and have youtube remove it. Now that it is set to private you can't do this until she sets it back to public.
I could copy from friends if their videos are private, as long as they invite me...:think: I send a message to youtube and they are giving her 2 days to resolve this.

@ yame: yes, I know who she is, but she wasn`t in my class and she isn`t in our school anymore(apparently she had more problems in the group). My final solution is to talk to her mom as she seems to be the only person able to put some sence in to her...but I would really like to try to do it without moms!

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Not necessarily. If you set a video to private on youtube, you can still select specific users who can see it. So if she chose to, she could have set it to private but still allowed some of her friends to see it. In theory, those people could in turn download the video and it could turn up again.
That is true but there is a 20 person limit of who they can send it to and they need their email addresses. At least though set to private she has to send it out and it is not possibly every random person in the world being able to see it. Still not the best option to be a solution to this problem however.