Hi Everyone

Vahid

I started dancing profesionally in about '85 with the El Hiyatt' Troupe and Solo in West Palm Beach Florida at the ripe age of 17 . I Recently have emerged out of semi retirement for my love of mid eastern danse has been so overwhelming I miss performing , Teaching etc. SO much has changed in the last years with internet etc. .I was so overwhelmed by the info out there . I currently reside in Orlando, Fl. And know literally know No one anymore from the world so too speak. Anyhow i thought it might be wonderful to connect amd see whats goin on in this World I have so desperately missed. Let's see, I remember male dancers . AZIZ, AMIR, ALFREDO, SERGIO here in the USA.
I was so lucky in my earlier years to have studied under alot of great ones . So let me know what's happened out there. I am awaiting some responses. Thankx Vahid

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Hello Vahid

Dear Vahid,
Welcome to the forum. There are now many more male dancers on the scene, and several post here.
Aziz retired permanently about 3-4 years ago. He is now doing still life painting. You can find his work on the net under Aaron Stills. He is a good at painting as he was a dancer, but he told me that all of his creative energy now is turned toward painting. His life partner, Raffa, is still dancing and teaching.
I think Jason Roque is still active in Salt Lake City. Alfredo was living in Seattle Washington, and still may be. Last I heard, he was dancing with Mish Mish, but that might have changed by now. If I remember correctly,Rashid is retired, but I think he is still costuming Suhaila. John Compton's name appears now and again. Tarik Sultan ( new last name) is still dancing and is a part of this forum. I have not heard anything about Amir in ages. I don't think I ever met Sergio. Horatcio marreid Beata Zadou and now resides in Germany. I can't think of any more of the "long timers" right off hand, but if you mention more names, there is a chance that someone might know about them.
Againk welcome to the forum!
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

zahra

I have not heard anything about Amir in ages.
A'isha
Hi A'isha,

If you are referring to Amir (of Boston), he passed away years ago.

He was a captivating dancer and did a wonderful performance at
a charity benefit we participated in during the 80's. He is greatly missed in the
Boston area.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
It is extremely unfortunate that Aziz retired- but there's hope as he came out of retirement once before!

The great Kamaal has also retired due to health reasons. Another great loss.

Aisha Azar

Hello, etc.

Dear Zahra,
Thank you for letting us know. How sad! I had not heard Amir had died, but he just seemed not to be there.

Dear Zorba,
I think Aziz will stay retired this time. When he left before it was because the dance scene in Salt Lake City was so poisonous for him. His reason for stopping this time is much healthier. He is so into painting and is gaining in reputation all the time. He painted before he danced, BTW, and does not seem to be able or inclined to do both at once. His paintings are wonderful and sensual, just like his dancing! I used to really feel bad that he stopped dancing because he was so good, but when I saw his art in person, I knew he had made the right choice for himself to channel his energies. He is a dancer in his soul forever and now he dances on canvas!
Regards,
A'isha

Vahid

WOW!!! Super response!

Thank you so much for the updates everyone , Sad but time does go on I suppose. So on to exciting and new things , Well I checked out , The Youtube thing very cool and I guess, Now we can start a great great new male BD forum huh?!
So Zorba , Site is awesome and Tarik, Great Vids on you tube. I loved the Tito amazing. lets get talking thanks a mill guys !!!! Vahid

Tarik Sultan

Amir passed away years ago shortly after I started dancing. I believe he had cancer of some kind. Sergio also passed away from an inoperable brain tumor. He was the first male dancer I saw and made me decide that maybe I could start taking dance classes.

Things have changed for the better. If you had told me back then that one day there would be a guy dancing in Egypt and performing all over the world, that there would also be guys in Greece, Turkey and Lebanon as well, I wouldn't have believed it.

By the way, can you imagine if 20 years ago someone told us we could sit in our homes send letters to people all over the world in seconds and see images of dance from all ovcer the world? I think I'm liking the 21st century!:D

Maria_Aya

Hi guys and welcome on board;)
Just to inform you that in Greece we have more than 50 male bellydancers and they often they are the leaders for the place they dance ;)

And also as Chryssanthi commented over here the male bellydancers have a different code for dressing. It is expected that they are gonna be half naked ;)
So chest is out, covered with jewels but thats it.

Maria Aya

Tarik Sultan

Hi guys and welcome on board;)
Just to inform you that in Greece we have more than 50 male bellydancers and they often they are the leaders for the place they dance ;)

And also as Chryssanthi commented over here the male bellydancers have a different code for dressing. It is expected that they are gonna be half naked ;)
So chest is out, covered with jewels but thats it.

Maria Aya
:( So does that mean that if I vist Greece, I'll have to show my tatas? I don't wanna show my tatas....what if its cold!

Seriously though, 50? Wow. How long have male dancers been performing and what caused the change? Are they good dancers, or is the talent curb the same as for the female dancers?

Maria_Aya

First its never cold lol, its HOT over here, special at the oriental clubs.
Now about the level of the dancers... lets leave it, for males and women, this is my personal opinion. Ofcourse there are some that Rock but the percentance is just so low, lets say 5% only for both women and male.
We are in the 3rd year of living in the oriental fever and as it seems we will have 1 year at least more. Now about the male dancers how it started it just did, and let forget the dancing part, they are party animals, and owners like to have them cause they get up the female customers on the tables to dance;) so you got the idea.
My favorite of all from all sides, dancing abilities, personality, looks is Malek, he does a great great tanura, one of the best i've seen even for arab.
I like Alexandros, he is a showman, right now he is at Austria teaching from last may at www.iaspis.at (so you can check photos of him there).
Some of the male dancers were ballet dancers (and this show at their dance) some latin (and also shows).
Unfortunately in Greece we are a bit slow on internet or videos, but hopefully this will change soon.

Maria Aya:)

Last edited:

Vahid

how fatastic

Let's go to GREECE

~~~ I'd Love to see 50 male dancers that would be incredible on the TATA thing donno if wanna o that lol! VAHID