Hip scarves

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwinity

We're advised to wear hip scarves in class, but my (only a few weeks) new one unravelled this evening while we stepping through some new choreo. Beads and coins everywhere (I was mortified)!

So I was wondering if anybody, particularly the other Australian members, knew where I'd be able to get a sturdy, affordable hip scarf that's less likely to come apart when shimmying. I bought my current one from an ebay store.

Thanks HEAPS for any suggestions!

Mouse

Where abouts in Australia are you? There is a fantastic shop in Adelaide (Egyptian Bazaar) and a few more dotted around other parts of the country. Being in Perth most of mine come from eBay though. If your interested I can let you know the eBay stores I buy from that have quality hipscarves.

Demelza

hello gwinity x

sorry to hear about your lost hip scarf ! I am going to Cairo in a week to buy some fantastic stock - which will include hip scarves of the highest quality, (mostly 'farasha' or 'butterfly' hip scarves) all of which will be on my up and coming website within the next month (watch this space !).
In the mean time, if there are any specific colours that you like, or patterns of the coins, beads, crochet etc. then please do let me know, and I will personally select a hip scarf for you whilst I am down in the depths of Cairo ! . That goes for anyone else too, if there is anything in particular that any of you lovely ladies are desperate to get hold of, as we all know Cairo is the heart of belly dance (I buy from the workshops themselves, not shops) and I will do my best to aquire what you are looking for. Nothing will be paid up front - I will post pictures to you and if you are happy with it we will take if from there. That also goes for DVD's, Music etc.
happy to be of assistance !
Love Demelza xx

Alaya

Hello Ladies.
I must say I have the same problem only yesterday I have spend an houre soweing missing coins to my hip scarf and after 10 minutes of dancing the the once were still one started faling off:(. I have a nother one my aunt brought me from Cairo but it is reserved for performances. and now I can't practice with my hip scarf on. It is realy hard to do shimmy withought it now after some months with it on. Anywey. If you would finde red one Demelza and you wont be neede it let me now:).
Love, Alaya

Thara

Hi Demelza!
hip scarves of the highest quality, (mostly 'farasha' or 'butterfly' hip scarves) xx
Sorry, I have stupid question - what does meen "farasha" and "butterfly" hip scarws. Do You have a picture of hip scarves like that?

Demelza

hello Thara.
I'll try to get a picture on here within the next couple of days. 'Farasha' is butterfly in arabic. It's basically just the name of a particular style of hip scarf. Most of them involve crochet designs aswell as the usual coins and beads, usually with a stunning background print too. xx
Demelza B.

Demelza

hi Alaya !
I'll definately be bringing some red ones - make sure you watch this space !! I'll put pictures on as soon as I get back.
Anything else just let me know,
Love Demelza XX

gwinity

WOW, thank you so much for the suggestions, ladies! (And I'm glad I'm not the only one, Alaya!)

Mouse, I'm in Melbourne, but just about all of my purchases have been via ebay as well, as I don't have much time to hit the shops. The scarf I bought came from this ebay seller - I don't know if it was a faulty one, or just sheer bad luck. :confused: Where do you get your dance-stuff from?

Demelza, may I ask how much a scarf from Cairo would cost? (Do you have a website?) One of my classmates was describing a butterfly scarf and it sounds gorgeous!

Demelza

yes Gwinity, they'll be around £22.00 for a 'farasha', and £16.00 for a more basic one called 'nour'. D xx

Lydia

Hi there ,i wear in class a soft raw cotton 90 cm by 90 cm piece sqarf,just plain it is soft ,and i can tie it as i like it is great to wear ...sometime,s i twist 2 together i purchased i few and die them to match with my leotards ,so great solution and no coins or beats on the floor to step in...but i knowit is looking pretty when you wear all the shiny coins stuff, but for me this works great...happy hip dropping lydia

Mouse

gwinity, The Seventh Veil is in Melbourne. I've bought a fair bit of stuff from their eBay store (Kats Bazaar) over a fair period of time and never had any problems with anything I've purchased. www.seventhveil.com.au/ The link to their eBay store is on that page also.

A couple of other good stores are
King Of The Nile http://stores.ebay.com.au/KING-OF-THE-NILE_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Isis Exchange http://stores.ebay.com.au/Isis-Exchange_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Veils Of Arabia (Australian Store) http://stores.ebay.com.au/Veils-of-Arabia_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

I've bought from all of the above on many occasions.

Another good resource for Australian Dancers is The Australian Bellydance Directory at annabella.net Pretty much anything to do with bellydance in Australia ends up on there. http://www.annabella.net/bellydance/

Inanna

I've had several hipscarfs do that, its so frusterating! Especially the one that just broke on me right out of the package! Now I look at my hipscarfs closely befor use to see if the coins are sharp and will saw through the string they are on, and if so, I dab a little clear nailpolish to dull the edges of the coins, Ive also bought some stronger thread and gone through some of my scarves and sewed the coins on much more securely. Ive also decided Id rather spend a few extra bucks on a hip scarf thats well made and wont fall apart on me and not get taken in by some of the cheap stuff Ive been seeing!

Demelza

Inanna......what a good a idea using the nail polish !! - although it's a shame that you had to put so much effort into fixing something that shouldn't have broken in the first place. !!

As i mentioned in a few of these posts, you will be delighted to hear that I will be bringing a whole range of gorgeous hip scarves, from Egypt within the next 2 weeks.

I have been lucky enough to marry into a family who have a huge workshop in the heart of Kerdassa in Cairo (Kerdassa, away from the centre of Cairo, is the heart of the original belly dance costumes and accessories in the whole of the middle east). The family established the company in 1948, and have ever since provided dancewear that IS of the highest quality, and aswell as exporting to all the other arab countries (especially Lebnon), as well as Europe, the Americas and the Far East, they have also many a time supplied famous proffessional dancers such as Samiah Gammal, Soheir Zaki, Fifi Abdou, Hayatim, and Dina to name but a few.

Going back to your problems with the price/quality of the hip scarves, it is most likely not the fault of the person you bought it from. It is infact the fault of the many shop owners in Cairo who have 2 different levels of quality of their stock. Very often they show the buyer the good quality goods, and then once a deal has been made, they then package the low quality goods. I have seen this happen so many times, that people come from different parts of the world, and end up not getting all what they've seen. Therefore it doesn't suprize me that there are so many hip scarves/ costumes/accessories etc on the market which aren't as well made as they suggest.

So, if there are any of you, who are looking for anything in particular, (costumes, hipscarves, designs from other websites etc) please let me know as soon as possible, try to send me a photo, there is no money up front, and I will post you a quote from Cairo as to how much it will cost before they design it. Please bear in mind that costumes will be at least 30% cheaper than any other price you have seen elsewhere.

Kind Regards, Demelza xx

Alaya

Thenk you Demezla

If you will be bringing any red ones with resonebly prices, I am here:). I have a black costium but although it is wonderfull I would like to heve a cherfull one now. Have fun in Cairo. Love, Alaya
p.s. Good idea with neil polish, have to try it;)

Inanna

I'm always in the market for anything Red and Silver or of a sort of peacock color (pretty blues)... so if anyone brings anything like that back from Egypt I might be interested :D

gwinity

Thanks for those links, Mouse. I've bought a few things from The Seventh Veil before (my first teacher recommended them), and have nothing but praise for them. :)

Demelza, I might keep you in mind if I can't fix the broken scarf. As it's mainly a practice one, I'm not fussy with colour! ;) Interesting that the original producers/sellers of the scarves can be less than scrupulous in giving the buyer what they paid for

Demelza

Gwinity and others....
I have some brand new hip scarves for sale....see the 'market place' thread.
xx
ps. there's a lovely red and silver one ! x

KuteNurse

Someone mentioned putting a drop of superglue on the tip of each coin? Have others heard of this to help the coins from falling and does it really work? I would imagine to check your scarf after every use to sew the coins that are lose or have fallen off etc...Are there other basic cares for hipscarfs I should know of? thankyou

gwinity

KuteNurse, it SO works! After my first hip scarf sent coins flying everywhere, I sat down one night and put a drop of clear nailpolish on both sides of all the coins where the string runs through them. I haven't lost a coin since, and have now done it to all my hip sarves and recommended my friends/classmates do it to theirs, too.

KuteNurse

Thanks! I am sitting here supergluing as I type...lol
well...into between sections drying at least. It is going to be about an hour or two:) Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.