Hips wiggling during shoulder shimmy!

amusette

Whenever I shoulder shimmy my hips wiggle just a bit. If I'm wearing no hipscarf you cannot really tell unless you're close and really looking, but put on any scarf with fringe or -heaven forbid- coins and uh-oh. My instructor tells me to ensure my torso is lifted- nothing. Still wiggling. I know some people allow their hips to wiggle during a shoulder shimmy, but my instructor is directing me to fix this- and I'd really love to.

I can keep the hip scarf fringe still if I do the movement at a much slower pace. I'm wondering if I really need to work on my isolation, ensuring cleanliness and control at a slower pace and then progress to faster speeds. Will starting slower help at faster speeds?

ANY tips, thoughts and guidance is welcome and appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:

Kashmir

Try practicing sitting in a chair. Even better, driving a car and then your hands will stay still as well.

I suspect you may be twisting your torso a little rather than just pushing your shoulders back & forward. The movement with a torso twist is valid - but different.

jenc

I thought I was the only one to shoulder shimmy whilst driving (on ther motorway)!!!

Another (probably safer)way is to hold a glass of water in each hand.

When I thought I couldn't dhoulder shimmy and was constantly practicing I surprised myself at the top of the stairs with a full cup of tea and realised I had shimmied all the way up - still thinking I'll never get this!!

jenc

Yes but if you concentrate on keeping your hands ROCK steady this shoud focus your movement upwards.

Jane

Check your knees and make sure they aren't locked. Also, try making the movement smaller and more controlled.

SeeJaneDance

Just putting this out there, because I tried it recently and it helped...I practice now holding a broom handle out in front of me, in both hands. It really helps to keep everything steady.