History and background of different styles!

Delikatess

Im gonna admit that knowing the history behind the dance is not my subject, Im really interested and I think that because i do have classes i should know more about it...

I tryed to look on internet but I always seem to find different answers :( Hard to know what to belive... And the info online is often very short like a page or even less...

I looked for bookes in swedish but didnt find any and now im searching the web for a good book in the history of bellydance, so my question is does any one know any good book?:think:

Salome

Administrator
Hi,

Turkey, Lebanon and Egypt have their 'own' histories of Oriental dance, as the dance developed within those cultures as performance art. I have a reading list on this site with books recommended by Aisha Ali and Morocco, both highly respected and trusted sources. You can find it here.

Venefica

Delikatess there is very few Bellydance resources in Scandinavia. I know of one Bellydance movie by a Norweegian dancer named Magedans med Helene, other than that ne very thing, bad, book aboute the subject is sold in Norway, it is in English though and sold as part of a horrible little set. I have had to inport viedeos and such from Amazon, though hopefully after Bellydance was part of a few of the popular dance contest TV shows that is so popular all over Scandinavia theese days the popularity of the dance will grow and more will be made avilable. I know that already the Magedans med Helene video have been made by somone conected to those shows. Anyway. Amazon have many good books on bellydance so I am sure you can find what you want there.

Kiraze

One great book that was not on those reading lists mentioned before is "Belly Dance: Orientalism, Transnationalism, And Harem Fantasy" by Anthony Shay and Barbara Sellers-Young. It is a collection of acedemic (and thus quite accurate) studies by several researchers - text is partly a bit "dry" but I still recommend this warmly.

Zandra&Zindor

Belly Dance: Orientalism, Transnationalism, And Harem Fantasy

"One great book ... "Belly Dance: Orientalism, Transnationalism, And Harem Fantasy" by Anthony Shay and Barbara Sellers-Young. It is a collection of acedemic (and thus quite accurate) studies by several researchers . . .

One of my friends, Andrea Deagon, contributed to this book. You can find the description of the book on her site:

http://people.uncw.edu/deagona/raqs/shay-Belly-Dance-news.pdf

Zandra