How can I call this style of bellydance?

Miranda Phoenix

Folks have expressed their weariness at constantly having to define and defend "real" bellydance from all the Western wannabe dancers... well, I'm just as tired of being told only real Egyptian dancers are capable of bellydancing. :think:

As to the original clip, I don't really like it. It looks like a bad fusion of the beauty and excitement aspects of Cabaret bellydance (to me, a playful, soft, exciting and beautiful dance) with the strength and power moves of Tribal (to me, an intimate, warm, exciting and powerful dance).

I can't really tell if the lack of the playful aspect of Cabaret or the intimate aspect of Tribal is the problem, or that the emotion that is shown is jarring against the particular fusion of elements chosen. Either way, I don't care for it.

Some of her combinations and pops look like they might even be painful to execute. And, yeah, wow, that 3:07 move is totally a cat hacking up a hairball. :naghty:

- - - - -

Going back to the topic of feeling, I believe part of why Western dancers are so often labeled "unemotional" by Eastern dancers is the difference in venues and the impact that has on the dancer's connection with her audience.

All of the clips of Eastern dancers are filmed in small, intimate settings (with Samay's stage being the largest, but still with an intimate feel to it), as opposed to the large staging and brighter lighting so often used in Western performances (as in the OP clip). Since connecting with someone who's nearly within arm's length would come almost naturally - and doing the same with an audience on the other side of a bank of lights would be much more difficult - it follows that a "colder" Western performance no more reflects a lack of emotion on the part of a Western dancer than a "charismatic" Eastern performance reflects a secret, culturally-born talent of an Eastern dancer.

My .02 worth. (Of course, by the reckoning of many on this forum, my Western roots naturally reduce the value of my input, so perhaps I should simply say, my opinion, for whatever it's worth. ;) )

P.S. I totally "faved" Samay's video. Awesome performance!

Khalif

Meanwhile, YANA is invited to give a masterclass at SBDF (Stockholm Belly Dance Festival), which is one of the most prestigious festivals of the year. Enough to say that the founder of stage oriental dance - Mahmoud Reda - is also coming to give masterclasses.

There are also shows (13 - 15 may), and we'll have a chance to see YANA's Oriental Dance Ensemble live! I'm going to Stockholm, that's for sure!

There's the advertisement on the official site:
Teachers of SBDf

Wow, Lielle!
Where do you get your information?:cool:

This Stockholm festival is going be a great event!

I hope I'll be able to come, too. In my opinion, YANA is a beautiful dancer, her performance is something I would really love to see live.

Folks have expressed their weariness at constantly having to define and defend "real" bellydance from all the Western wannabe dancers... well, I'm just as tired of being told only real Egyptian dancers are capable of bellydancing. :think:

There is a moment in any dancer's "art life", when a high professional level is already reached. From this moment nationality does not matter any more.
Also, there are two different directions in original belly dance: restaurant and scenic. You can say what ever you want about restaurant dancing, but there are laws of the big stage, and a real professional dancer can not ignore them. So, when a dancer is on the small restaurant stage - this is one way, when it is big theater stage - another!

Talking about YANA – I don’t understand why most of references made only after one video… There are some more (youtube or yanadance.com) and all of them completely different. She is a wonderful dancer. She has a perfect technique, she easily personates with different styles of oriental dance and of course YANA is a very charismatic dancer!
By the way Khalif asked about the STYLE, showed only in this video…

P.S. Concerning requests of introduction: I’m a dancer, of course, oriental dancer. Mostly working in arab countries on a contracts with a big show group. I respect personal points of view, but I badly take disrespect for colleagues.