How to Make Bellydance Costumes - Website

Amulya

Actually, that's the one I'm working on right now. I'm just about done the beading on the belt, but have a whole lot of fringe to make. It will probably take me another week or so. Here's a picture from about a week back on my progress.

Inside that oval in the center are now two more jewel spirals coming off of each side towards the middle.
Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to see the finished result, I bet it will be amazing! I really like that shade of gold btw.

Amulya

Shushanna, do you have tips for sequins? How do you make sure they don''t loose their color? I either have the issue where the color peels off (in that case the color is a layer on the sequin) or that it wears off. It tends to happen quite quickly, no matter what sequins I use. Only the irridecent ones don't seem to do that.

Shushanna

Shushanna, do you have tips for sequins? How do you make sure they don''t loose their color? I either have the issue where the color peels off (in that case the color is a layer on the sequin) or that it wears off. It tends to happen quite quickly, no matter what sequins I use. Only the irridecent ones don't seem to do that.
I'm afraid I don't. One thing I have done is taken all the sequins off of something, flipped them over, and reattached them. The side facing the fabric usually is less worn than the outside. But I was making alterations to the costume already, basically replacing entire bra cups so it wasn't any extra work. I don't know that this is a realistic solution if all the sequins on all your costumes are a problem.

If you find that your costumes are wearing faster than those of others, maybe there is something about you or how you use your costume that is different. You might have more acidic sweat than the average person. I had a boyfriend once who couldn't wear watches because his sweat would eat through the metal on the back of the watch. After you perform you may want to use a damp wash cloth to gently wipe down the surface of your costume (on beads and sequins but not fabric) to get any chemical residue off of them. You could even put a teaspoon of baking soda in with the two cups of warm water to skew the ph, but if you do, test it first on a location that wouldn't be noticable in case it adversely affects your costume.

Greek Bonfire

I have arrived late to this thread, and all I can say is my heart is going pitter-patter! These are gorgeous, Shushanna! I am passing your website on to a friend of mine who makes her costumes too.

Daimona

Shosanna: The more I watch your page and pictures of your projects, the more I realize doing it is bad for me as I might get tempted to start trying these things myself! Your instructions are too tempting and I've already got too many projects going on.. :lol: It is a great resource.

Last edited:

lulusabooboo

My favorite is the beading section.

Thank you for putting time into this. It is really helpful.

Do you know how to make 25 yard skirts? I can never find patterns for them. They are super expensive too. Not sure if it would make a difference with the price. Worth a shot.

Last edited:

Amulya

lulusabooboo, here is a link: 25 yard skirt pattern - Belly Dance Costuming - tribe.net

If you hunt around for fabric you can sometimes find very cheap material like panne velvet for $5 a meter (not sure about the prices in other countries). Since you can get more panels out of a meter it ends up not to badly with the costs. Although some sellers have very reasonable prices for their skirts.

Shushanna

My favorite is the beading section.

Thank you for putting time into this. It is really helpful.

Do you know how to make 25 yard skirts? I can never find patterns for them. They are super expensive too. Not sure if it would make a difference with the price. Worth a shot.
This is what I call a tiered skirt, which is one of the pages coming soon. The directions on the other site are just fine. Mine will help you calculate the width and length of your panels based on the number of tiers, desired fullness, and skirt length.

astro_girl

These are just beautiful, and thank you so much for sharing the ideas. While, at this time in my life I lack the talent or time to (let alone tools) to start such a project, I have a friend who is a seamstress and have shared this thread with her for ideas!

lulusabooboo

This is what I call a tiered skirt, which is one of the pages coming soon. The directions on the other site are just fine. Mine will help you calculate the width and length of your panels based on the number of tiers, desired fullness, and skirt length.
This is awesome! Thanks. =D I will keep an eye out for it. :dance:

Amulya

Is there going to be a section on how to make cut-outs? That would be very useful, I have only seen pictures of costumes halfway with cut-outs but not how it is actually done so they cut-outs don't stretch out.

Shushanna

Is there going to be a section on how to make cut-outs? That would be very useful, I have only seen pictures of costumes halfway with cut-outs but not how it is actually done so they cut-outs don't stretch out.
That could definite could get it's own page. A lot of the time they use mesh in black or tan to keep the fabric around the cut out fitted to the skin, sewn onto the inside edges of the hole. Another option could be to use a rigid frame, like a plastic circle.

Amulya

I just discovered another way: apparently you can make the shape of the cutout on a seperate piece of material (sturdy of course), decorate it and then put it on the cutout area. Depending on fabric I guess.

How do you make sequins stay good, so they don't loose color or that the color doesn't 'peel' off (some do!)