Ideas for Using Props in Small Spaces Needed

lily_raks

How would you put a good show when stuck in a tight place in between tables? I've been doing improvisation and audience interaction but really wish I could throw in some props.

Last edited:

SidraK

In low light, candles are a good prop that doesn't take up much space. Balancing is also good for wow-factor...possibly a tray rather than a sword or cane? I've done veil in a restaurant with limited success. It's nice for enterance/exit but mostly small movements, and draping to accent isolations while actually dancing among the tables. Do you have a set of zills that won't deafen the clientel?

Daimona

$0.02 from me:

How about
  • those small isis wings/butterfly wings?
  • Long drapes hanging from the arms that could emulate veil?

Could these work for you?

Ariadne

Do you have a set of zills that won't deafen the clientel?

This and mixing up your music will go far. Most props are to large for the kind of space you've described though I have heard that a 2 yrd veil can be managed in smaller spaces. You just have to avoid most of the swishy stuff.

lily_raks

Thanks ladies. I may try these ideas. I don't love the fact of just going around in my sparkly costume to the tune of pop songs. I love improv and mostly improv for all shows but I just wish I could do more at this place like I do at night.

Yame

How long is the show? Veil and balancing props can be good in small spaces, but unless the show is very long I'd pick just one prop, if any. Also, only use fire props if you know your space well and won't have to shuffle around too much between chairs... if you do know you'll have to shuffle around, don't use those, either.
Avoid fan veils, isis wings, and cane (although if you're REALLY good with it, you might be able to manage cane in a very tight space).

If you can't figure out a prop to use, it's not the end of the world. It's possible to dance in very small spaces without any props and still be very interesting! You just really have to work with your arms and your face, do more up-and-down level changes, change up the energy levels and intention of your moves (soft vs. strong, slow vs. fast, etc), work with different angles of your body. Set up an interesting an engaging set with enough changes to allow for those changes of energy.

indrayu

This is unlikely to help you: it would probably be illegal in our health-and-safety conscious world (look out, here comes a story from someone who's starting to sound like an old lady....)

I have loved sword dances ever since the first one I saw, back in the dark ages, in a tiny restaurant that had tables for almost-two against the walls on each side and a narrow aisle between,where the staff mostly moved sideways. Fortunately, the tables were solid, as that's where the dancer spent most of her time. Most of the patrons looked like they couldn't decide between being awed by her skill or terrified of failure...:shok::clap:

Crystalllized

I've worked in many tiny, tiny, tiny restaurants. Like indrayu said, sword usually terrifies people, but they do love it so if you could find a space either where there are no customers sitting or a corner, do the sword dance in place. Walking around will scare people and if it is really small, the wait staff will have problems with you in their way.
Veil flinging is no good because it ends up in people's faces, but you can do a pretty veil dance using different drapes (think of the veil like a snake) to do something interesting.
Palm candles are good. Small tray with candles is also good.

Duvet

This might sound naff , but could you replace a veil with one or two small silk hankerchieves? Would add a little variety, and can be easily put away or retrieved. You could even pretend to be picking up a table napkin and look like its all impro. Just need to avoid that look of wiping your nose!!