I'm new here

Viking Siren

Hi, everyone! I'm new here and I'm new to belly dancing. I tried once before using a Michelle Joyce DVD and didn't get very far with it. But I'm trying again because I thought it would be a fun way to lose some weight. An increase in confidence and self-esteem can't hurt, either. :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum, Have you found a teacher or are you learning from DVDs? Persevere whatever mode you have chosen and enjoy.
~Mosaic

Kashmir

Welcome. A live teacher is always better than a DVD - especially for beginners who (by definition) don't know what is important and what is particular to a DVD teacher's style (or worse bad technique). I have also noticed most DVDs are light on a proper warm-up (after all you are paying for belly dance information). Make sure you do a CV warm-up - like a 5 minute brisk walk or stair climbing before starting any small muscle work. And make that 15 minutes of movement before any serious stretching.

Good luck.

Jeanne

Welcome! I agree that live instruction is better than DVDs. But if you don't have access to a teacher, it would be a good idea to at least work with a variety of DVDs rather than going over the same one over and over. Michelle's DVDs are quite good (get more than one of them), but try some other teachers, too. Right off the top of my head, Ava Fleming, Ranya Renee, Princess Farhana, and Aziza are some dancers whose DVDs I would recommend.