Inspiration to take up bellydancing

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Nothing really, saw an ad that classes were starting near to me so decided to go along & see what it was all about, fell in love & the rest is history:)
~Mosaic

Munniko

Similar to Mosaic, I was stuck abroad and missed dancing so I did a quick search for dance classes and belly dancing was the only one in my area that was taught in English XD

Shanazel

Super Moderator
An article in Cosmopolitan Magazine in 1966 (I was eleven) followed by seeing Anoush Kasabian dance at Fresno State University ten years later.

Kartane

Well - I am a nerd and have been attending DragonCon in Atlanta for 15 years... About 8 years ago, I dragged my mother (who was then in her 60s) to her first DragonCon (She's been coming with me ever since.) On the last day of DragonCon, Kira Lang offered a 45 minute basic belly dance class and my mother wanted to go. I knew nothing about belly dance and went with her to humor her. 15 minutes in and I was completely hooked. It took me another year and a half to find a teacher anywhere near me before I could start regular classes, but I kept at it. First teacher quit teaching 8 months after I found her. 2nd teacher quit teaching 10 months after I found her. But I have been with my current instructor ever since and feel like she is the person I was meant to find to teach me. I came to this dance later in life and I know I will never be a paid pro dancer, but I want to gain professional level knowledge, skills and ethical practices. Even if I never 'go pro' I want to be able to pass on what I learn. So go Mom! Go DragonCon! Yeah!

Sophia Maria

I had already danced modern for a few years--and I knew I liked dance, but modern didn't grab me. My friend then convinced me to do her BD choreography in a school talent show when I was 15...and then I just couldn't stop listening to Arabic music. There's just something about that music :D

Kedma

I had only ever seen it on television, but thought it looked so glamorous and elegant and promised myself that if I had the chance I would try it. When I saw an ad for a class at my local community centre I grabbed the chance. I loved it even more than I thought I would and am completely hooked - like Sophia Maria said, there's just something about the music. I never had any interest in dancing before, other kinds of dancing just don't have the same appeal to me