Is keeping a gig during my lunch hour at my regular job wrong?

lily_raks

I have a dance gig every Friday at noon. I go there during my lunch hour.

Is this wrong? I know it is my lunch hour but I am always paranoid I will find my boss or someone from work there. The restaurant is about 15 mins away from the office.

Avariel

I think it depends on your boss and the place you work; my bosses wouldn't care, and have actually come to our performances before out and about town, because our dancing doesn't take clients away from our firm or threaten the company's work. Only you know what your bosses reponse would be.

Yame

I don't see why that would be wrong. It's your lunch hour, your own personal lunch hour, and you get to do whatever you want with that.

With that said, how the heck do you gig during your lunch hour? It would take me at least a full hour just to get my costume and makeup on. If I factor in travel time and the actual show time, that would be at least another hour (even if the place was very close... let's say, 15 minutes there and back = 30 minutes, plus 15-30 minutes dancing = 45 minutes to an hour). THEN you still have to get out of the costume and get your stage makeup off. How is it possible to do all that in just an hour?

Shanazel

Super Moderator
You must be the speed demon of all dressers! Just the logistics of getting from point a to point b with time to dance boggles the mind.

I don't think it's anyone's business what you do during your lunch hour as long as you aren't out selling corporate secrets. ;)

lily_raks

Thanks for your responses ladies! The place is about 9-15 mins from my work. Usually about 10 mins. I work in high tech and our lunch hour or time allowed for lunch is pretty flexible. For that gig I usually take one hour and twenty minutes total including the trip there and back. I also work from home most Fridays and when I come in the office it is a ghost town. But everyone takes long lunches now and then and it's ok as long as we get our stuff done.

I always have my hair done and sometimes, if I feel like it, I attach my extensions before coming to work and just have a natural long wavy hair look, but my hair is long anyway. Nothing too crazy. And my make-up is less heavy for my day-time gig because it is bright inside that restaurant. So since I do my make-up every day to come in the office, my make-up is exactly the same, I just put on darker lipstick and more mascara once I get there. And I have some costumes that are easier to put on than others so it only takes me about 5-10 mins to change once I get there. For my night gig I use heavier eye make-up and false lashes.

lily_raks

My intention was not to stay at the place. I was invited once and I thought I could squeeze into my lunch time that one time. Then they asked me to stay and I decided to try it. It is a little crazy dancing during my lunch time and I have thought of leaving the gig but so far it has been doable.

SidraK

As long as it doesn't actually interfere with your work...why not? My co-workers would probably come out to cheer me on, but my work is cool that way ;-)

da Sage

This is no different than taking a long lunch to do something else.

I presume that you can do your hours anytime, so there is no problem unless there is a work function scheduled during your dance time. I would be wary of being caught in a lie; that is the only thing that could really get you in trouble.:cool:

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Nothing Lily said suggested she was being dishonest so I wonder a bit why the subject arises. :think:

Is failure to mention the gig to her boss dishonesty through omission? If in response to a direct question such as "What do you do during your lunch hour" she answered "Why do you want to know?" would that be dishonesty through evasion? If she answered the same question, "Different things on different days" would that also be somehow dishonest?

One's own time is one's own time and there is no obligation for an adult to account for it to anyone.

Sirène

I have a dance gig every Friday at noon. I go there during my lunch hour.

Is this wrong? I know it is my lunch hour but I am always paranoid I will find my boss or someone from work there. The restaurant is about 15 mins away from the office.
It's your lunch hour and I personally believe if you can make it work then it's your business and you should do as you please.

Unfortunately, the state of 'Corporate America' being what it is, I would strongly recommend you look over your employment contract. There may be language in there regarding your conduct during 'normal business hours' — which includes your lunch hour — and worst case scenario, your side-gig could possibly get you fired from your primary job in the future.

Employers tend to be very possessive of their workers and their worker's time. Read your contract and make an informed decision.

Greek Bonfire

What you do on your own time is your business. I would treat it like any other lunch hour. Unless they ask, I wouldn't mention it. If they find out, I wouldn't act guilty because you are doing nothing wrong. If they give you a hard time, I would ask why and then take it from there.

LilithNoor

I agree with Sirene, while personally I think it's your time and you can do as you wish, I would definitely check your contract.

My contract (I work in Local Government in the UK) says that as a full time worker I have to inform HR if I take on any other work, particularly if it happens during the standard working day, or pushes me over a certain number of hours for the week.

I feel like it would be worth raising it with your boss, perhaps selling it as a 'this is a really fun thing for me (that just happens to earn me extra money) and I feel energised (and more productive) when I get back to my desk.'

Daimona

I agree with Sirene, while personally I think it's your time and you can do as you wish, I would definitely check your contract.

My contract (I work in Local Government in the UK) says that as a full time worker I have to inform HR if I take on any other work, particularly if it happens during the standard working day, or pushes me over a certain number of hours for the week.

I feel like it would be worth raising it with your boss, perhaps selling it as a 'this is a really fun thing for me (that just happens to earn me extra money) and I feel energised (and more productive) when I get back to my desk.'
I agree with this. And of course you would empasize that this dance gig wouldn't affect your ordinary job in any other way than not being available during those 80 minutes once a week. And of course say that if he/she felt this would be impossible to combine the gig with your ordinary job you would sadly part from it, but that you would prioritize your ordinary job.

lily_raks

Wow, I didn't realize I had these many answers. I am not being notified via email :confused: Thank you all for your advise and input!!

So about a week ago I decided to tell my boss that I am a dancer and use my lunch hour to do the gig every Friday. I explained how it doesn't affect my work and he said there was no problem and not to worry about it. I am afterall, one of the top performers and he hasn't seen my work performance change so I think that helped.

On the topic of lunch time dancing, would you ladies gig during the day? I find that this gig is more difficult because at my night time gigs people are expecting to see a belly dancer and go there looking forward to that. At this place, although they advertise they have a belly dancer every Friday at noon, I come as a surprise to many people having lunch. It is a very high tech area and a lot of people go there just looking for lunch. Many others are repeat customers because of the dancing but I often when the surprised look by many new customers who have never seen a belly dancer and may not understand the art. So I get a whole different energy when compared to dancing at night.

LadyLoba

Im glad the boss didnt have a problem with it...though I agree with the previous posts...as long as there is nothing in your contract that would forbid it, then it's up to you what you do on time that is unpaid and spent off company property.

I dont know if I have a truly informed answer to when I would dance. I have been "off" belly dance for a few weeks, and I think I'm only going to ever do it as a hobby. I dont anticipate anyone wanting to pay me to dance...but I would if I were offered an afternoon job.

lily_raks

It's your lunch hour and I personally believe if you can make it work then it's your business and you should do as you please.

Unfortunately, the state of 'Corporate America' being what it is, I would strongly recommend you look over your employment contract. There may be language in there regarding your conduct during 'normal business hours' — which includes your lunch hour — and worst case scenario, your side-gig could possibly get you fired from your primary job in the future.

Employers tend to be very possessive of their workers and their worker's time. Read your contract and make an informed decision.
You just made me think :) My employer is ok with it. But I am a contractor and I wonder if the company for which I work (contracted at) would care. I told my supervisor who is also part of our vendor company and he works directly with the people from that big high tech company just like me. He had no problem. I hope that our client doesn't either.