KHALED MAHMOUD of Alexandria-Egypt

Aisha Azar

Khaled Mahmoud

Dear Gang,
Okay, this ought to make me about as popular as the Bubonic Plague, but I just can't really like Khaled Mahomoud's dancing. I really tried to. I was prepared to because before I saw him perform at Nile Group, everyone was raving about him.I truly wanted to love his dancing.... but I just did not.
I found him to be one of those "Look at MEEEE" dancers who seemed so concentrated on movement that there was little room left for the emotional integrity that I consider essential in a great dancer. His technique was nice (not fabulous), but his patterns of movement were incredibly predictable as he concentrated on doing the "pop-lock" thing that really disturbs me in many western dancers as well. He also seemed way to busy, if that makes sense. There is just some essential ingredient that is missing in his raqs sharghi....... I am not sure I could even begin to explain it. though I have tried here.
He may be a really nice man and he may be a wonderful teacher, though in the video it looked a lot like the usual Egyptian "follow me" method that most dances who are not teachers employ. I also think much of his costuming, though it might be made by Aida Nour, looks terrible on him.

On the other hand, I have seen video of him dancing Khaliji that knocked my socks off because he was so great at it.

I am really hoping I don't get flamed to death here, as happens so many times when I open my mouth to be critical of a male dancer. I hope people will just take a minute to maybe see if I am saying anything of value in looking at this dancer in correlation with the dance.

Regards,
A'isha

Tarik Sultan

Dear Gang,
Okay, this ought to make me about as popular as the Bubonic Plague, but I just can't really like Khaled Mahomoud's dancing. I really tried to. I was prepared to because before I saw him perform at Nile Group, everyone was raving about him.I truly wanted to love his dancing.... but I just did not.
I found him to be one of those "Look at MEEEE" dancers who seemed so concentrated on movement that there was little room left for the emotional integrity that I consider essential in a great dancer. His technique was nice (not fabulous), but his patterns of movement were incredibly predictable as he concentrated on doing the "pop-lock" thing that really disturbs me in many western dancers as well. He also seemed way to busy, if that makes sense. There is just some essential ingredient that is missing in his raqs sharghi....... I am not sure I could even begin to explain it. though I have tried here.
He may be a really nice man and he may be a wonderful teacher, though in the video it looked a lot like the usual Egyptian "follow me" method that most dances who are not teachers employ. I also think much of his costuming, though it might be made by Aida Nour, looks terrible on him.

On the other hand, I have seen video of him dancing Khaliji that knocked my socks off because he was so great at it.

I am really hoping I don't get flamed to death here, as happens so many times when I open my mouth to be critical of a male dancer. I hope people will just take a minute to maybe see if I am saying anything of value in looking at this dancer in correlation with the dance.

Regards,
A'isha
I promise I'll be nice. Why's everyone looking at me like that? I can behave....:whistle::cool:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I don't like that costume on him he is wearing, looks like it is cutting into him. Makes his body shape look all wrong.

So far what I have seen of his videos, I am not sure that his style appeals to me, very ballet-ish and over done flowery hand movements. I feel that he kind of needs some 'oomph' in his dancing.

Sorry to those who love his dancing. He is very likely a great person, and dancers often look better or come across better in the flesh so maybe the vids don't do him justice.
~Mosaic

Caroline_afifi

I saw Khaled many times at various events over the years and saw him as a great showman and that was it. This year i saw him close up and took a workshop with him. He is technically fantastic and uses very subtle and complex moves.
I dont care for his costumes (my personal taste).

But other than that he is an enertainer. He is flamoboyant and full of pizaaz, not to everyones tastes.

Off stage the man has no air's and graces and I saw no evidence of a 'Diva ' streak.
I have only worked close with him twice so cant count for all other times. He is a lovely teacher and I cant praise his teaching enough.

He is totally not the big 'I am' in a class. He doesnt turn a workshop into a 'gig' to be the centre of attention (like some I have witnessed), he genuinely wants to share and never makes you feel shit (even if he is thinking it perhaps).

He has a wealth of first hand cultural understanding of the dance and the almost underground culture of dancers in cairo. He didnt skip his way through a folkloric school and to be honest was 'raw' talent when he first came to the UK.

What I am saying is, even if you do not like his performance style etc. he is certainly a person with lots to give in other areas. I am not joking, I got alot from him this year, I was surprised myself.

Talianya

Khaled malik!!

I totally agree with you! He's a perfect teacher who cares about you during the lesson. Khaled is so unique, and in flesh so amazing! I don't care his costumes too, or his physical appeareance, or his group exhibitions. Of course he's not athletical like our Tarik or Tito,his costumes..well no words, but he has the power of grace, precision and his coreographies are pure. :dance: i'm looking forward to my next lessons with him in february as by now, and i talk about 8 yrs of studying, he's the best teacher i've ever met. i'd show you but i can't as i promised to him not to show on the net my movies of his lessons..:confused:

lizaj

As a teacher there is no one better. He is kind but demanding. I was very distracted at JoY by all kinds of personal problems and he spotted in a big class that I was not getting something simple and charged over and stayed with me 'til I got it right. "I know you, you can do this!" Hell he must have been so exasperated but he left me with a smile. A lesser teacher would have just let me get on with it.
His technique is lovely, crisp and if a lot little showy, so what..he is an entertainer and I can forgive the talented the me me me on the stage. But he can be very generous to other dancer. I saw him stand back and allow others to shine at the Yorkshire Egytptian Moonlight.
But he isn't for everyone and give me the choice of watching Randa or Djamilla and I am more content. I can't justify it, I am just more at home with a more laid back dancer. That doesn't detract from the fact that others are blown away by him.
There is nothing whatsoever Divaish in his behaviour off stage except that he is a showy dresser and does appreciate the adulation..who doesn't? he is sensitive and intelligent and has done so much for the dancers in this country to inject a lot more Egypt into us.We have a lot to be grateful to him for and I am not quite sure what JoY would be like without him, Mandy!!!:)
As for the costume, it was a lot better than some others I have seen him wear. Toned down in shape and applique, I thought he looked good although the one I like best is the bronze coloured one he wore last time. I will seek out a photo.
And he was the dancer who finally made the penny drop with me..if a man wants to get on stage to perform oriental dance instead of just teaching or choreographing...why not!

Maria_Aya

I cant be objective over here.
I just LOVE Khaled !!!
I have more than 10 workshops with him, on various styles, he is an excellent teacher that becomes better and better every time.
I have cryed when we couldnt have a privite lesson with him because the audio system broke and both didnt had free time the next days.
I enjoy him on stage, but dont like the screaming etc just sometimes for my "conservative" taste somethings are too much.
Dont like the 2 piece costume, prefer him with a gelebia always.
As all that know him said above, he have no Diva attitude at all.
As for being on stage, all of us at one level or another have the "look at me" look;)

Kisses to all
:cool:

Talianya

Good said Maria:clap: i think your post could virtually close this section, with the proposal for every dancer who read this to book for a workshop with him and taste the pleasure of his teaching and of his person. ps: i suggest to everyone to watch his beautiful Tabla with khaleeji choreo on youtube danced by Natalia Ljusina. I put this choreo in every show and has great success;)

LLAIMA

I hear ya girlfriends!
I would rate him with 90% good for my taste...took 10% off because he is lacking that air that I like on Egyptian dancers.

I would really like to see him dancing kaleeji.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Khaled Mahmoud

Dear Talianya,

I totally agree with you! He's a perfect teacher who cares about you during the lesson. Khaled is so unique, and in flesh so amazing!
I'm glad to hear he is a good teacher. I may take a class from him some day since I have heard so much positive about his teaching. My only hope is that I do not want to be as disappointed with his teaching as I was his dancing.

I don't care his costumes too, or his physical appeareance, or his group exhibitions. Of course he's not athletical like our Tarik or Tito,his costumes..well no words, but he has the power of grace, precision and his coreographies are pure.
I DO like Tito's dancing, not because he has moves any better than Khaled, which he does not, but because he seems to be able to infuse what he does with that Egyptian quality that is so hard to define but is what I call "essence". Khaled seems to lack this somehow.

i'm looking forward to my next lessons with him in february as by now, and i talk about 8 yrs of studying, he's the best teacher i've ever met. i'd show you but i can't as i promised to him not to show on the net my movies of his lessons..:confused:
So, what did he make you promise? That you would not teach his moves or only that you would not teach them on the net? Do you not find this rather a strange request?? I do. First of all, if one teaches something to someone, it then belongs to THEM as well. I could go on and on about this ownership thing, but I won't. This is part of what I sensed in him that I did not like.

Dear Lliama,
I think there is a YOUTube clip of Khaled performing Samri somewhere. He is one of the few men who really do the dance well. He is actually superb at it and I like it so much more than his Sharghi. I am considered by many to be an "expert" in the dance form and I think he is fabulous at modern Gulf. If I had the skill. I would hunt it up and put it on here, but I can't even get signed on to YouTube to respond to videos. I have very little technical skill. (I also can not sing very well, or change my own tires.....)

Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Khaled

Dewar Caroline,

I saw Khaled many times at various events over the years and saw him as a great showman and that was it. This year i saw him close up and took a workshop with him. He is technically fantastic and uses very subtle and complex moves. I dont care for his costumes (my personal taste).
I found that his technique lacked a certain integrity somehow..... He knew a lot of complex movement, but that there was a lack in carry through or something....

But other than that he is an enertainer. He is flamoboyant and full of pizaaz, not to everyones tastes.
Flamboyant does not bother me, but flamboyant without strength, I guess, does. I felt that he lacked a certain integrity behind his movements. I just can't think of the words to describe this....

Off stage the man has no air's and graces and I saw no evidence of a 'Diva ' streak. I have only worked close with him twice so cant count for all other times. He is a lovely teacher and I cant praise his teaching enough.
He is totally not the big 'I am' in a class. He doesnt turn a workshop into a 'gig' to be the centre of attention (like some I have witnessed), he genuinely wants to share and never makes you feel shit (even if he is thinking it perhaps).
I am happy to hear this and did not think he seemed like the type to do that, anyway.

He has a wealth of first hand cultural understanding of the dance and the almost underground culture of dancers in cairo. He didnt skip his way through a folkloric school and to be honest was 'raw' talent when he first came to the UK.

That would make sense as he does not seem to have the discipline that many of the dancers that did dance in the "fakelore" sector seem to have. Also, if he has not been working very long, that could explain his lack of depth. Perhaps it is something he will gain with the years, as we all have to do. I do not think that a person being from the culture necessarily makes them a good dancer, but it definitely does give the student some insight into the things that make the dance what it is!!

What I am saying is, even if you do not like his performance style etc. he is certainly a person with lots to give in other areas. I am not joking, I got alot from him this year, I was surprised myself.
I will certainly be willing to watch him dance in the future to see if I can see what it is that attracts you. I think it is possible to learn good things from people who are not fabulous dancers. I have done so.

Regards,
A'isha

Maria_Aya

Dear Lliama,
I think there is a YOUTube clip of Khaled performing Samri somewhere. He is one of the few men who really do the dance well. He is actually superb at it and I like it so much more than his Sharghi. I am considered by many to be an "expert" in the dance form and I think he is fabulous at modern Gulf. If I had the skill. I would hunt it up and put it on here, but I can't even get signed on to YouTube to respond to videos. I have very little technical skill. (I also can not sing very well, or change my own tires.....)

Regards,
A'isha
This is why I start crying when our privite was canceled we were suppose to do Samri !!!

Enjoy him even for little time

p.s. finaly i had the lesson in later time :D

Aisha Azar

Clip

Dear Aya,
Thank you Darling!! This is the clip I was referring to. I think he dances modern Gulf in a very good style and very reminiscent of the young Gulf girls I have known. He is subtle and THERE. I also like the fact that he is positively DELIGHTED to be dancing.
Thanks again for bringing the clip to the thread.

I was trying to think of something that might be valid to say about dance that might be worth repeating here, in what it is I am not crazy about his Sharghi. I am very impressed when the dancer sort of disappears as a "personality" and what is left is the pure essence and spirit of the dance. Mouna does this, Randa does this. Suheir Zaki and Aida Nour did this. Tahia Carioca did it. It's sort of like after awhile it does not matter WHO is dancing because the dance itself is so sublime.....Even with Fifi, when she was younger you would be very aware of her as Fifi at times, and other times she so became the dance that she disappeared, only to pop out again when she was doing one of her "Wasn't I fabulous" bows! I am not sure any of that makes sense, but I hope it does. I definitely did not get that feeling from Khaled.
Regards,
A'isha

Caroline_afifi

Dewar Caroline,

I found that his technique lacked a certain integrity somehow..... He knew a lot of complex movement, but that there was a lack in carry through or something....
I personally did not find this on this occasion. I think he is someone who definately keeps developing.

Flamboyant does not bother me, but flamboyant without strength, I guess, does. I felt that he lacked a certain integrity behind his movements. I just can't think of the words to describe this....
Altough he is a flamboyant showman, I also think this is a reserved quiet about him. He definately does not use a strength type style but perhaps one with more subtle complexity, I dont know.

I am reffering more to his teaching and movement vocabulary combined with the dance culture he came from rather than what he presents on a stage.
As a fellow dancer, I admire his ability in many ways.

I will certainly be willing to watch him dance in the future to see if I can see what it is that attracts you. I think it is possible to learn good things from people who are not fabulous dancers. I have done so.

Regards,
A'isha
I think if you get the chance to do a workshop (and not in great numbers) you may get more of a sense of who he is. He has a great talent for choreography and there is nothing repetative or copycat about them.

Performance is one thing but teaching and passing on cultural knwledge is another. He talks specifically about dance from the perspective of dancers rather than 'Egyptians do this or like that'.

He was raised amongst the Ma'alima of Mohammed Ali Street and talks from this perspective, bringing in the dancers special language and communications. Fabulous.

I think he is able to understand his experience and pass it on in a way people understand.

There are many good Egyptian dancers who do not make terribly good Egyptian dance teachers.

I am also aware of the fact that just because you are Egyptian, it does not mean you are a great dancer or teacher.

I have met more than my fair share! :lol:

LLAIMA

when I started dancing I performed at this Egyptian restaurant where many other good, (now pretty known dancers) performed as well (Natalie, Rimarah and Effie) but I really learned what real Egyptian dance was from the COOK!, he weighted about 300 pounds, but what a grace, I used to get mad whenever he told people that he taught me how to dance because is not that he ever gave me a class because he was not a teacher, I just watched and listen to what he had to say...and know I know what he ment...anyway the point is that there is alway:cool:s something to learn, even from a cook.
If khalid comes to Fl I will take a workshop without thinking twice.

Aisha Azar

??

Dear Caroline,

I think if you get the chance to do a workshop (and not in great numbers) you may get more of a sense of who he is. He has a great talent for choreography and there is nothing repetative or copycat about them.
In all; honesty wqhen I saw him last April, he was definitely very Pop/Lock in his dance style and it was repetitive and quite copycat in the style of western dancers trying to look Egyptian. I am sorry, but that's what I saw. I felt really bad about not liking his dance.

Performance is one thing but teaching and passing on cultural knwledge is another. He talks specifically about dance from the perspective of dancers rather than 'Egyptians do this or like that'.
He was raised amongst the Ma'alima of Mohammed Ali Street and talks from this perspective, bringing in the dancers special language and communications. Fabulous.
I agree that teaching and performance us not the same thing at all. I have even seen people who were lousy on stage that taught really well. I had a student like that. Terrible dancer, sublime choreographer. She just could not get her own body to do what happened in her head. I thought M. A. street was in Cairo?? I could be wrong. I have the geography skills of an idiot. Does he bill himself as Khaled of Alexandria?

I think he is able to understand his experience and pass it on in a way people understand.
Very important in a good teacher. The other thing a good teacher does is she/he makes it all about the material and the student connecting to it.

Regards,
A'isha

Caroline_afifi

Dear Caroline,

In all; honesty wqhen I saw him last April, he was definitely very Pop/Lock in his dance style and it was repetitive and quite copycat in the style of western dancers trying to look Egyptian. I am sorry, but that's what I saw. I felt really bad about not liking his dance.
I dont know, but mu guess is that the Nile goup festival (and indeed all other festivals of this type) kind of demand or push for a highly sparkly all colours singing and dancing pop locks and tricks performance. Those who dont stand out the most. I think he probably went for the full Monty.

I loved his dancing more in the aftershow blow out at a local Russian Restaurant, he was just his natural self.

I agree that teaching and performance us not the same thing at all. I have even seen people who were lousy on stage that taught really well. I had a student like that. Terrible dancer, sublime choreographer. She just could not get her own body to do what happened in her head. I thought M. A. street was in Cairo?? I could be wrong. I have the geography skills of an idiot. Does he bill himself as Khaled of Alexandria?
Well I honestly dont know. As far as I know, he told me he grew up in cairo in the Mohammed Ali area and talked about the language they used as dancers.
The conversation was mostly in Arabic as I was with Djamila Hannan, Shafeek and Houda. I may have got this completely wrong but my instict says not.

Mandy T where are you?

Very important in a good teacher. The other thing a good teacher does is she/he makes it all about the material and the student connecting to it.

Regards,
A'isha
Yes, totally. It annoys me when you pay for a workshop and the teacher just wants to show off how much she knows.
This is why I had a break from workshops for so long (apart from Sara Farouk and a few others who live local to me).
I am back in the loop now and enjoying it again!

jenc

Dear Talianya,

So, what did he make you promise? That you would not teach his moves or only that you would not teach them on the net? Do you not find this rather a strange request?? I do. First of all, if one teaches something to someone, it then belongs to THEM as well. I could go on and on about this ownership thing, but I won't. This is part of what I sensed in him that I did not like.
A'isha
I think that what was promised was that vid of Khaled teaching would not be posted on YouTybe - which i think is fair enough. I have seen enough rip offs on there to last me a lfetime. you can watch complete copyrighted dvds (albeit in several sections)