Khaliji - what am I watching?

Tarik Sultan

I don't suppose if any of you know if this dance is old, like would it have been around in the Middle Ages (500-1500CE) ? I think it would be fun to teach to my SCA class, but I'd like to stick with stuff that's quasi-"period" for them.
It might have been in some form, it might not have. I doubt anyone could say for sure because things as mundane as dance styles were usually noit commented on.

This dance style has a very heavy East African influence as you can tell from the video and East Africans have been influencing the music and dance of that region from pre Islamic times. However, to say it was exactly the same, what was added when how it has changed???

I would say if you want to do it go ahead. Its the closest you will ever get if you want to authentically represent that area.

Aisha Azar

Khaliji

Dear Aziyade,
If you are going to present it, the Samri versions would be closer. The Bil Khather Sidi Hather song is older than Islam, according to the hostess, and the dance is real Samri. There are some nice pieces of really old style music, like the ladies sing, that can be gotten, though frankly they were gifts to me, so I do not know where. Rasid Sales might be one of the better sources, or Saut Wa Soura.
Regards,
A'isha