Learning egyptian

Ahava_Melantha

right now easily accessible dvd kind

my dance instructor is mostly egyptian but has ventured away from that and haven't been able to make it to class for MONTHS now

Kashmir

If you are the analytical type - Shareen el Safy really breaks things down.

More recent, Ranya Renee is mostly Egyptian - and her DVDs are very good value.

But it really would be best to get a DVD by an Egptian dancer to see the real thing. Problem is, most do not teach in the Western way. Raqia Hassan and Aida Nour are two people to look out for. I also like Lubna - but I don't think she has put out any teaching DVDs.

Jane

Seconding what Kashmir said.

I really like Outi of Cairo's new video too. She's not native Egyptian, but she has danced there professionally. She explains things simply, briefly, and very well. The music is also not boring which is a plus. I like to use it for mindful drilling and I generally despise drilling :lol:

If A'isha Azar (an American dancer taught by Egyptians) still has her video available I'd recommend that one too.

Shareen el Safy's video's can be a bit chatty for some people, but I really like that kind of thing in her videos because it puts the things you learn in a time/place/context.

The Master's of Egyptian Choreography series is nice if you want modern Egyptian style ideas/choreography. Those would be better after getting comfortable with basic technique and combos.

Last edited:

Ahava_Melantha

thanx everyone. your insight is awesome. the only egyptian dvd I have is Shareen al safy's egyptian technique I and I love it.

Meera

Sorry this is late but I think Leila of Cairo belly dance for begginers is good for Egyptian. But it is very slow, but so far this has been my favorite Egyptian DVD.