Makeup video from Ansuya !

lizaj

Looks very tribal with the henna
But she looks more like Queen Nef than our wannbe in my post I reckon.;)
I was taught by a make-up artist to "dab" the liner .
The problem is that what suits one person with make-up looks shocking another and that needs to be said.
But she certainly looks striking.

PoleDanceABCs

The problem is that what suits one person with make-up looks shocking another and that needs to be said.
Oh for sure! I have hooded eyes so all those cool YouTube tutorials for smooth lids do jack-diddly for me. They give me inspiration and ideas but I have to adjust things. It took me years to learn what to highlight, where to put the shadow, what brushes to get, and so on. My mom tried to teach me and I did learn a lot of basics but I don't like her all methods... and she was a make-up artist! LOL... sorry mom *looks away*

Reen.Blom

Oh for sure! I have hooded eyes so all those cool YouTube tutorials for smooth lids do jack-diddly for me. They give me inspiration and ideas but I have to adjust things. It took me years to learn what to highlight, where to put the shadow, what brushes to get, and so on. My mom tried to teach me and I did learn a lot of basics but I don't like her all methods... and she was a make-up artist! LOL... sorry mom *looks away*

Now any tips? LOL I have the same problem...lol Ansuya's got big eyes, so that look is totally out for me...lol hooded eye ruins all the efforts... lOL

Jujube

My eyes are a lot like hers actually, but I agree about sponge applicators--ew. I live by my MAC and Sephora brushes.

Chantal

why, why, why is she using the sponge applicator?

I am SO doing some BD makeup vids...

I have only recently started dabbling with makeup, so i am a little clueless when it comes to how to apply and what tools to use. So i have a couple of questions especially around applying eye makeup.

I would like to know which is better to use sponge applicators or brushes?

I tried using a brush but it does hold enough eyeshadow to apply, or am i using the wrong brush? The brush that i was trying to use came part of a small pack of cheap makeup tools.

I find it so difficult to apply eye makeup, on the tutorials they make it look so easy but when i try to apply eye makeup it does not go on smoothly. The makeup drags on my skin if you know what i mean and then i have to hold my eyelid so that the skin does not fold...any suggestions?

PoleDanceABCs

Now any tips?
Hehehe... what works for me might not work for you. Hmm... My fave thing to do is to highlight my inner eye corner. It opens my eyes up or makes them look bigger, and I look more refreshed. You have to be careful with how much highlight you use or you will look silly, like :shok:

------------------------------

I would like to know which is better to use sponge applicators or brushes?
Oh my gosh brushes all the way for me. I was never able to get the same level of blending with a sponge. I'm sure a lot of people would agree. I watch those behind-the-scenes videos from fashion shows and you don't see any make-up artists with a sponge applicator.

I tried using a brush but it does hold enough eyeshadow to apply, or am i using the wrong brush? The brush that i was trying to use came part of a small pack of cheap makeup tools.
You don't have to spend like $30 per MAC brush but usually cheap kit brushes stink! Sorry. Either they use sub-quality materials or their brushes are too flimsy to hold any make-up. I actually buy synthetic and "generic" brushes from pharmacy stores and not high-end make-up counters (my favorite brand is ecoTOOLS).
The denser the bristles are usually you'll get better coverage or amount of product onto the brush. A good test is to hold the brush up and push against the bristles with a finger. If there is a bit of a "push back" then it is pretty good.
I'd say for eyes you always need a good shadow brush. One that picks up a lot of product so that you can "dump it" on your lids. And the second most important is a fluff or blending brush. Like I use 2-3 colors on my lids and it looks funny if you don't blend it because there is a harsh line. Blending makes it all come together. Oh and if you use liner that isn't in a bottle a liner brush is good too.

The makeup drags on my skin if you know what i mean and then i have to hold my eyelid so that the skin does not fold...any suggestions?
If you are using sponge applicators they have a tendency to grab your skin like that... then you get like one spot with makeup, then the fold with nothing... so on. I always moisturize first, then I add my primer (so important for long-wear and to make colors pop), and then I add shadows. Don't press too hard or that can wrinkle up your skin too. I have seen in quite a few tutorials the instructors pull their eye skin too... sometimes you just have to.

-----------------

Just 'cause... I want to show off my make-up brush holder and all my pretty synthetic brushes. ^_^ All the big brushes are for the face like blush or foundation... pretty much all those thin or small brushes are for my eyes. The ones that are circular and kinda fluffy are my blending brushes.

Last edited:

Native Dancer

Chantal, a good soft natural hair brush will help a lot. If you are looking for a less expensive option, go to the local craft store and pick up some paint brushes with sable hair bristles-these are about 1/3 of the price for makeup brushes. You can get some different sizes and see what works best for you. The thing about trying a new makeup style is that you need to do it several times before you will start to see something you may or may not like. And just like a new haircut or color, it'll look strange at first if it's very different from what you're used to seeing in the mirror, and you'll need to get used to it.
I have this video, and I tried Ansuyas makeup several times-the first couple were really scary. I had decided that this style of makeup just wasn't right for me, but then I went back and tried it again, mixing some of the elements from Ansuya, and doing some things my own way. The result was kinda shocking at first, but once I took my hair down and then walked away from the mirror for a while it started to grow on me. I sell makeup, but I rarely wear it, so for me the major thing was to get used to how different it was from my usual plain face. There are so many great videos on youtube, but you shouldn't try to copy them exactly. Use them as a way to get ideas of what you want to do, but adapt it to your face (shape of eyes, lips, cheeks). Just keep playing with it, until you find what works for you.
And I said the same thing about the sponge applicator. Maybe because this video is marketed for average women to get in touch with their sensuality, Ansuya was trying to use what the average housewife would have in her makeup bag?

Chantal

Cool :D

Thanks PoleDancerABC and Native Dancer for your advice.

I am definately going to get myself some brushes :cool:

PoleDancer: I like the way you displayed you brushes, it a handy idea to store your brushes.

PoleDanceABCs

A lot of people rave about Coastal Scents brushes. Some are really good and some fall apart or have too much dye (you just have to read the reviews first). Check out their website at CoastalScents.com and then there is a link to their brushes on the left (you might have to scroll down a bit). All my brushes are synthetic but sable fur seems to be a fave for those that aren't veg.

Native Dancer

I apolgise if I've offended any vegetarians-not being one myself, it never crossed my mind. I swear by sable brushes personally, but you can find good quality synthetic ones that will do just as well.
PoleDancer-what do you wash your synthetic brushes with? I use shampoo for mine.

PoleDanceABCs

I apolgise if I've offended any vegetarians-not being one myself, it never crossed my mind.
I don't think you did. :)

you can find good quality synthetic ones that will do just as well.
Oh yeah for sure... synthetic brushes are so much better now-a-days. They used to be so harsh and cheap. All my brushes are so soft and silky... they work really well too.

PoleDancer-what do you wash your synthetic brushes with? I use shampoo for mine.
I know I should clean my brushes more often but I tend to be lazy about that. I use a really gentle shampoo or a baby shampoo... once or twice a month. I have so many eye shadow brushes that I have a brush for each shade I own. I guess that is why I tend to be lazy about it. And then I made my own home-made cleaner using water, a bit of shampoo, leave-in conditioner, and rubbing alcohol. It wasn't that bad. I got the recipe from EnKoreMakeup on YouTube. And HERE is his video on how to make cleaner.

Native Dancer

In the old days, (something like 20 years ago, lol) when I was training as a makeup artist, we were drilled to death on using only natural hair brushes. It obviously stuck-I don't even carry synthetics in stock. Maybe I should rethink that, huh? ;) And I use baby shampoo, once again that's what they told us way back when. There are a lot of brush cleaners on the market, but shampoo is cheaper and does the trick.

Jujube

I don't think you did. :)

Oh yeah for sure... synthetic brushes are so much better now-a-days. They used to be so harsh and cheap. All my brushes are so soft and silky... they work really well too.

I know I should clean my brushes more often but I tend to be lazy about that. I use a really gentle shampoo or a baby shampoo... once or twice a month. I have so many eye shadow brushes that I have a brush for each shade I own. I guess that is why I tend to be lazy about it. And then I made my own home-made cleaner using water, a bit of shampoo, leave-in conditioner, and rubbing alcohol. It wasn't that bad. I got the recipe from EnKoreMakeup on YouTube. And HERE is his video on how to make cleaner.

I use Enkore's brush cleaner too! Cheap, easy, and good for my brushes.

I do love MAC brushes, but Sephora carries good quality brushes that are often comparable for far less money. My skunk brushes are MAC and a couple eye ones too, but the rest of mine are Sephora. Good brushes are definitely worth investing in--they'll last forever with good care.