Male Dancer Costume

Tourbeau

I was doing a search on Amazon.com for anything related to male belly dance. These pants showed up in the search. I personally like the look of them,but not sure if these would work for a belly dance costume: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=JQDJH8ZVGY8FKFKRE8F6

They are cool looking, but to me, they look like what they are--pants from Thailand. They'd be fine if one was doing some sort of Southeast Asian influenced/fusion BD, but I don't think I would recommend them for regular MED.

prince ali baba

Amine

Hello,

I would like to express myself on this subject, personally I do not see why it would be disturbing for a man to wear a skirt to dance. In some traditions and cultures around the world, men wore skirts even nowadays, another example, I don't know if you know Eshan Hilal, he's a belly dancer man and he wears skirts, and he is a belly dancing star in india. I do not see how the skirt transvestites men, it is a garment like any other ... Personally, being a man, if I had to choose between pants and a skirt, I much prefer the skirt. Besides, to train myself I wear a skirt (25 yard), sometimes I match it with a pouffy harem pant. You have to choose your costumes based on your own taste and preference and based on what you like, not what others like.

Besides, if you are looking for skirt and costume at a lower cost, there are some on Aliexpress, I also recommend Ebay or Etsy if you are looking for quality. 😉

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've worn skirts for decades, both for dance and in mundania. I can remember when it was a Big Effin' Deal if a woman wore pants!

prince ali baba

I've worn skirts for decades, both for dance and in mundania. I can remember when it was a Big Effin' Deal if a woman wore pants!
Well it looks like I'm going to have to wear a skirt at some point. Planned on it to learn hula, but if you guys think it's cool for men to belly dance wearing skirts, I will wear one.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Well it looks like I'm going to have to wear a skirt at some point. Planned on it to learn hula, but if you guys think it's cool for men to belly dance wearing skirts, I will wear one.
Its an individual choice. Nobody thinks anything about women wearing pants these days, but a guy in a skirt gets a LOT of stares, although maybe not quite so many in the Belly Dance community. Don't do it unless you can own it is my advice. With that said, there's nothing like dancing in one - and if your dance sisters do a skirt dance, you can participate and they're a lot of fun! Read my "basic skirtsmanship" article on my website for more info...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I've seen quite a few men dance in skirts. I didn't know it was an issue.
It often isn't, but sometimes it is. There is a woman in Minnesota who absolutely detests the fact that I exist, per her comments on my GS articles - she calls me a "bearded guy in drag...". Whatever. Like I said, its an individual choice - I've seen a fair number of male dancers in skirts, but I've seen more who were not. Many wouldn't be caught dead in one. And that's OK - everyone needs to make these decisions for themselves.

prince ali baba

It often isn't, but sometimes it is. There is a woman in Minnesota who absolutely detests the fact that I exist, per her comments on my GS articles - she calls me a "bearded guy in drag...". Whatever. Like I said, its an individual choice - I've seen a fair number of male dancers in skirts, but I've seen more who were not. Many wouldn't be caught dead in one. And that's OK - everyone needs to make these decisions for themselves.
Zorba you seem like a nice man and like if I had a next door neighbor who decided to be a belly dancer. So this Minnesota woman needs to chill! :)

Amine

People like her have obviously never seen a man in a skirt in their life, and as you say, you have to know how to ignore them.

I have a story to tell you. On Etsy, when I wanted to buy myself my first dance skirt, I contacted a tribal costume and belly dance saleswoman, I wanted to ask her the question, I told her that I was a man and that I wanted to know if that did not bother her, she explained to me that there was no difference between men and women, moreover she was pleasantly surprised when she learned that I was a man. I had the opportunity to chat with a 2nd seller of this platform, she told me that she didn't mind at all. 😁

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Some of the Tribal skirts are really yummy! I've danced a bit of Tribal style myself, its fun! We have a Tribal couple here in Florida - husband and wife - and he has a couple of the famed "Flying Skirts". I've told him to not go out into the parking lot alone at night... ;)

I also went back and reviewed - and revised/updated - my "skirtsmanship" article: http://doubleveil.net/skirtsmanship.htm

I draw the line at biology. I don't wear bras and women don't need jockstraps. Other than that, its all same-same to my way of thinking. As I point out in my article, guys usually need dresses to be custom made, but off the rack skirts work for just about anybody.

Greek Bonfire

I've seen women dance in harem pants which is rather contrary to what some say isn't kosher. Who decided on a dress code because I didn't know there was one except to wear a costume that covers a dancer.

Greek Bonfire

While we are on this subject, I came across this video of a wonderful male dancer, and it looks like he is wearing pants and a skirt together. This should probably cover all bases for people who have costuming issues. And this song is one of my favorites too.

Shanazel

I often don't make it through an entire video, but I sat spellbound through that one. His arms and hands are especially nice and that's saying something in a performance as good as that one this. A side note: I look forward to the day when a person is simply a belly dancer or a fire fighter or whatever, unpreceded by a term denoting gender.