Men in skirts

khanjar

Ha, I have been inspired by Zorba and his unikilt, I plan to get one and wear it. The rebel me I think, plus I just don't see what the problem is aside from cultural. The Scots wear them and wear them with pride, no one sees that as a problem, but the kilt they wear was an English invention, yet for some reason English don't wear kilts and for an Englishman to wear a kilt, never mind a skirt, it is seen as wrong, the mind boggles as to why.

So, skirts on men, is it wrong or a way to go ?

If it is wrong, why ?

And for that matter why is the western culture male not a skirt wearer, where did it go wrong (or right, depending on your POV ?)

karena

I've seen guys going round in kilt skirts. Doesn't even really feature on my radar. I can imagine people thinking someone dressed as a woman as being wrong, not me, but I can imagine people thinking that. But a kilt?? People don't think that do they??

Marya

Ha, I have been inspired by Zorba and his unikilt, I plan to get one and wear it. The rebel me I think, plus I just don't see what the problem is aside from cultural. The Scots wear them and wear them with pride, no one sees that as a problem, but the kilt they wear was an English invention, yet for some reason English don't wear kilts and for an Englishman to wear a kilt, never mind a skirt, it is seen as wrong, the mind boggles as to why.

If it is wrong, why ?

And for that matter why is the western culture male not a skirt wearer, where did it go wrong (or right, depending on your POV ?)
Trousers were developed for warriors on horseback, up until horses became common place, men wore tunics, short and long, with or without leggings, and why not? they are extraordinarily comfortable.

I have seen men in utilikilts, but one guy I know ( a carpenter) made his own and it was kinda long (he made them from overalls and kept the original length) and I asked him if he could really walk well enough and if he could climb well enough. Never saw him in the homemade utilikilt again. I know from experience that walking in a long skirt can be a challenge.

Long skirts, tunics whatever, hamper movement. that is one reason they are not widely used anymore. How fast can you run in a tunic without hitching it up? A full skirt is better for running or walking but climbing stairs or ladders or fences? no way. short kilts or skirts don't hamper movement but then your legs are not very well protected. Wouldn't want to climb over a fence in a short Kilt.

Working men and women have always had to either strip down, wear leggings or trousers or some kind of pant, or tuck the skirts up and in to free the legs.

I have seen men at contra dances ( in Seattle WA) wearing skirts, no one cared.

Experiment see what you like and what works for you.

Marya

Jane

Wear all the kilts you want- I think they are sexy. Just remember to keep your legs together if you go "commando"! :redface:

lizaj

If it is wrong, why ?

A skirt was good enough for British treasure David Beckham so why not you?

Photo Gallery 4 - Celebrities

useful website but it does remind one that Charlie Windsor wears one too....;)

Last edited:

da Sage

Long skirts, tunics whatever, hamper movement. that is one reason they are not widely used anymore. How fast can you run in a tunic without hitching it up? A full skirt is better for running or walking but climbing stairs or ladders or fences? no way. short kilts or skirts don't hamper movement but then your legs are not very well protected. Wouldn't want to climb over a fence in a short Kilt.

Working men and women have always had to either strip down, wear leggings or trousers or some kind of pant, or tuck the skirts up and in to free the legs.

I have seen men at contra dances ( in Seattle WA) wearing skirts, no one cared.

Experiment see what you like and what works for you.

Marya
Yay! Another contra fan!

I personally find pants more practical than skirts because of how I'm built, but I think skirts are fun, and often also more modest.

I can keep myself decent in a skirt, no reason guys can't too. Most guys will not be climbing ladders or fences with an audience, after all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Men's Ultimate Frisbee team at my college wore matching short skirts with sunflowers on them. I have no idea why, but I enjoyed the view!

Pirika Repun

I have been wondering that men wear pants, and women wear skirt is kind of unnatual. :rolleyes: Why? When I think about physical structure of human body, it is easy for women to wear pants, and easy for men to wear skirts, because skirt make feel more free their package men carry between the legs! :cool::lol:

Ok. I go back to behave mode....:cool:

Marya

Yay! Another contra fan!

I personally find pants more practical than skirts because of how I'm built, but I think skirts are fun, and often also more modest.

I can keep myself decent in a skirt, no reason guys can't too. Most guys will not be climbing ladders or fences with an audience, after all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Men's Ultimate Frisbee team at my college wore matching short skirts with sunflowers on them. I have no idea why, but I enjoyed the view!

Well, where I live I would estimate that 90% of everybody, men and women will need to climb a fence, a ladder or walk across a log at least 12 times a year, I wasn't even thinking about being decent, I was thinking of barbed wire on my delicate inner thighs.

While I was doing laundry today I realized that I own at least 7 pairs of denim blue jeans so I can have clean ones to wear every day.

Marya

da Sage

Well, where I live I would estimate that 90% of everybody, men and women will need to climb a fence, a ladder or walk across a log at least 12 times a year, I wasn't even thinking about being decent, I was thinking of barbed wire on my delicate inner thighs.

While I was doing laundry today I realized that I own at least 7 pairs of denim blue jeans so I can have clean ones to wear every day.

Marya
And where I live, I once ran out of jeans that fit because my work "upgraded" our dress code. My jeans were wearing out, and I could not replace them because my spare cash had to go towards "business casual" wear.

EDIT: usually, I dress differently for work or play, than for workout wear or home maintenance. I guess my point is that utilakilts are great for play or certain workplaces, but bad for tree trimmers, painters, or plumbers to wear on the job! It's not like women would choose to wear skirts for those jobs, either.

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
This is, of course, a subject dear to my own heart. The Utilikilts I have are getting old - they're a style that is no-longer made and I wouldn't be caught dead in the "Neo-Trad" style they (only) make now.

In the winter time, I like something a bit longer - so I wear a "Macabi Skirt" (Macabi Skirt® - Outdoor travel skirt with pockets, convertible, quick-dry for trekking, hiking, sightseeing for women and men) which are marketed to both genders. Not the most stylish thing, but very comfy and practacle.

I generally don't wear a skirt in a Belly Dance context - "know your audience" and all that - but will if I'm dancing a skirt dance. Its kinda hard to dance a skirt dance without a skirt. Tarik needs to try it! :clap:

I am, however, going to get/make/have made one of those triangular "turkish" skirts from the 70s - just for the fun of it in the right circumstances!

Last edited:

khanjar

I have worn a skirt before in public, but then I was in period attire as a border reiver, never got any smart ass comments, but then I was carrying a claymore.

The skirt of course was the great kilt, the ancestor of the modern kilt. Interestingly, various celtic nations are now adopting the kilt as a sign of celtic identity, Cornwall and Wales included.

Marya

And where I live, I once ran out of jeans that fit because my work "upgraded" our dress code. My jeans were wearing out, and I could not replace them because my spare cash had to go towards "business casual" wear.

EDIT: usually, I dress differently for work or play, than for workout wear or home maintenance. I guess my point is that utilakilts are great for play or certain workplaces, but bad for tree trimmers, painters, or plumbers to wear on the job! It's not like women would choose to wear skirts for those jobs, either.
I know I am lucky, where I live blue jeans are formal business wear as long as you have something nice on top, like a jacket or nice sweater.

Marya

Shanazel

Super Moderator
I have worn a skirt before in public, but then I was in period attire as a border reiver, never got any smart ass comments, but then I was carrying a claymore.
:lol: A six foot double bladed whacking sword would be quite handy in discouraging unfavorable comment, for sure.

da Sage

Wear whatever you like.

Only people in shows like "what not to wear" are wrong.
ha ha!

I often think that the people in makeover shows looked better before they were made over. The only consistent rule of the producers seems to be "whatever they were wearing before was WRONG!".