Mixed booty box UK!

gisela

Super Moderator
OPA!!!! The box is in transit. Daimona should expect it perhaps monday, possibly tuesday.
Sorry girls I am terrible, but it is travelling as we speak.
Daim, I'll pm you the tracking no.

Daimona

No! It's stuck in customs! :( (I checked the tracking number, and it arrived at the customs office yesterday. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll still at least get it on tuesday - hopefully without paying too much to get it.)
Anything I can do so we avoid this problem on it's way back to the UK?
Are there any limits for value of gifts etc?

Aniseteph

From HM Revenue & Customs

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes: customs duty, excise duty, import VAT, and must be paid whether you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift,
the goods are new or used (including antiques), the goods are for your private use or for re-sale.

But
If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, and which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.

2.4 Gifts
Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

To qualify as a gift:
the customs declaration must be completed correctly
the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary.

Sounds like a gift to me, and unless it is full of very fancy costumes (or booze and tobacco :shok:) it should be under all the duty/tax limits.

gisela

Super Moderator
Oh no,
but does "stuck in customs" automatically mean that you have to pay? I definitely checked "gift" and without giving the content away I can say that there is no tobacco, booze or very expensive costumes in there. It is a joke if you would have to pay a fee for it:shok:!!!

Daimona

Thank you, Aniseteph!

Oh no,
but does "stuck in customs" automatically mean that you have to pay? I definitely checked "gift" and without giving the content away I can say that there is no tobacco, booze or very expensive costumes in there. It is a joke if you would have to pay a fee for it:shok:!!!

Not necessarily. But it certainly means it will be delayed for at least one day.. (depending on how much they've got to do).
Hopefully they'll pass it on quickly on monday. I can't wait! :D :dance:

lizaj

Mmmm the gift. In the end HMCustoms will decide what it is and what it's worth. I would imagine though a box of random goodies with an including explanation of of what exacty it is might be understood by the sniffer dogs. But in the end there is no certainty , someone will not decide it merits the tax plus PO charges. And the hapless next in line will have to pay its' ransom fee. I assume you have contingency plans for this.;)

Daimona

Not necessarily. But it certainly means it will be delayed for at least one day.. (depending on how much they've got to do).
Hopefully they'll pass it on quickly on monday. I can't wait! :D :dance:

The customs officed passed it on yesterday before lunch. It should be here very soon!

And I've copied Aniseteph's address unto a piece of paper (how old fashioned of me!
), in case the forum is down when I need it.