Modern Egyptian favorites?

Imeera

Hi everyone =] Recently I have been practicing like mad to Egyptian music and I am finding I am doing the same moves over and over; comfort moves I suppose and lack the inspiration to try new moves and combinations. I am sti ll learning and repitition is good but not if its the same combinations over and over. So I was wondering about Egyptian dancers alive today that are your favouites! I know of he Goldeldies and they are amaxing. But I know of very few modern dancers except: Dina, Randa amal, Ranya Renne, and Aziza. Aziza is Egyptian right? xD So could you give me your favorite Egyptian dancnrs I can watch and be inspired?

I have searched the site for similar threads and found one but was more aimed at the Golden Oldies; Samia, Fifi, Naima etc

Jane

Imeera, do you want native dancers only or are foreign dancers working in Egypt okay?

Imeera

Any dancer of Egyptian style that you think are amazing! Though natives would be nice, it really doesn't matter where they are from =]

Jane

If you start with youtube it will lead you to a lot of other dancers you can watch. Have fun!

Outi of Cairo
Diana Tarkan
Samasem
Dandesh
Nour
Aisha Azar
Randa Kamel
Aida Nour
Raqia Hassan
Orit Maftsir
Lena Helt
Zahra Zuhair
DaVid of Scandinavia
Saida
Shareen El Safy
Tito
Ahmed Fekry
Faten Salama
Lubna Emam
Aziza of Cairo

Last edited:

Jane

Aziza is Egyptian right?

It depends on which Azizas you mean. It's a common Arabic name and also a common name adopted by foreign dancers.

This is the most famous Aziza of Cairo who dances in Egyptian style:

Imeera

Wow. How have I not come across her before?! Aziza thats in Project Bellydance is who I meant.

Kashmir

Any dancer of Egyptian style that you think are amazing! Though natives would be nice, it really doesn't matter where they are from =]
If you want to dance like an Egyptian ie "Egyptian style" - I would strongly suggest you start with only Egyptian born dancers. Once you can see what the real Egyptian style is then you can move onto foreign dancers who dance Egyptian - like Yasmina, Shareen, Ranya. Then you can start to see what is Egyptian and what is a foreign accent. If you start with anyone who is labelled "Egyptian" you are likely to miss the whole point of Egyptian.

And Fifi may not be dancing any more - but she is still alive - and to me she is the essence of Egyptian-ness.

If you really only want current performers I'd suggest Lucy, Dina and Camelia. I feel Randa's style is aimed too much at the foreign market - too American. Most Egyptians I have spoken to don't feel she is a good example of an Egyptian dancer either. Mind you - most of those would rather point to Samia or Tahiya.

Although known mostly as teachers rather than as dancers per se - Aida Nour and Raqia Hassan are great to watch.

Imeera

Thank you Kashmir! Thats a good point and one I would like to follow. Are non-native Egyptian styles very different? How do I know if a dancer I am looking at is a born Egyptian or not when I am browsing Youtube? Is there a list of native Egyptian dancers somewhere? :lol: Obviously I can find out from websites if they have any, which most don't, Aziza of Cairo doesn't have one; is she Egyptian? I know that Tito, Adia Nour and Raqia Hassan (as you said) from Jane's list is a native Egyptian but is there anyone else on that list Egyptian? Thank you again! :D

Jane

If they have a "of Cairo" behind their name they are likely foreign. I think it's customary, but I couldn't tell you why. Anyone know more about where that tradition came from?

Jane

Outi of Cairo- Finland
Diana Tarkan- French Algerian and lived in many countries
Samasem- Sweden
Dandesh- Egypt
Nour- Moscow
Aisha Azar- USA
Randa Kamel- Egypt
Aida Nour- Egypt
Raqia Hassan- Egypt
Orit Maftsir- Israel
Lena Helt- Sweden
Zahra Zuhair- USA
DaVid of Scandinavia- Norway, currently USA
Saida- unsure?
Shareen El Safy- USA
Tito- Egypt
Ahmed Fekry- Egypt
Faten Salama- Egypt
Lubna Emam- Egypt
Aziza of Cairo- Italy?

Imeera

Thank you Jane and Kashmir! :D You both have been so helpful! If you think or find out any more Egyptian dancers let me know! ^^

Sophia Maria

Saida- unsure?
Aziza of Cairo- Italy?

Saida is from Argentina. (Unless there are multiple Saidas and we're not talking about the same one, my bad). I thought Aziza of Cairo was Egyptian? I always heard she was...

Imeera said:
How do I know if a dancer I am looking at is a born Egyptian or not when I am browsing Youtube?

There's no real fail-safe way to know just by watching them. Usually the dancer will have a website that you can look at, or you can ask on orientaldancer or bhuz, someone will know. But Kashmir is right, there is a difference between Egyptian-born and foreign-born. In a more subtle, feeling the music and completely understanding the culture way. I would suggest watching both kinds of dancer and seeing if you can spot the difference. My favorite Egyptian born dancer is Tito Seif.

Also, Fifi Abdou is always my favorite.

Other foreign dancers in Egypt include Joana Saahirah (Portugal), Aleya of Cairo (USA), and Luna of Cairo (USA).

Sometimes it seems that there are more foreign dancers in Cairo these days than Egyptian dancers. Part of that has to do with the culture, and social stigmas. I found two interesting articles that touch on this issue, one from 2008 and one from very recently (post-revolution)
Where Have Egypt's Belly Dancers Gone? - ABC News

The Middle East's Belly-Dancing Recession - Zoe Read - The Atlantic

gisela

Super Moderator
Yes Aziza of Cairo is from egypt.
Dalila of Cairo is from Italy. She has a very Dina-like style though.

Would you really say that Saida is egyptian style? I see her more as Saida-style or South American accented egyptian style. It seems so different from the native egyptians.

Perhaps egyptian Aziza put the "of Cairo" on her name as the american Aziza is so famous, at least among dancers?

Last edited:

Sophia Maria

Would you really say that Saida is egyptian style? I see her more as Saida-style or South American accented egyptian style. It seems so different from the native egyptians.

I wouldn't have said she's Egyptian style, but my opinion doesn't have much weight at all because I honestly haven't gotten around to watching her.

Dalila is Italian? Wow, I never knew. I like her style.

gisela

Super Moderator
Sorry Sophia Maria, I meant "you" as in everyone in the thread or perhaps Jane, not you in particular. Didn't make that very clear ;)

Imeera

Thank you Sophia fir the links! They are really interesting. And you too Gisela! I was hoping Aziza was Egyptian :lol: I really love her style!

Jane

I meant the one who teaches at Nile Group. Sorry- there are lots of dancers named Saida/Sadia.