Moobs in Belly dance ?

khanjar

Taken that it is improper for female belly dancers to show their boobs in belly dance what about males that have moobs given many males dance bare or at least partially bare chested ?

AyaKara

When I watch dancers on Youtube, the only male dancers that I've seen that were shirtless were doing Tribal fusion. So, I'm not sure :think: I've watched videos of Tito & a few others & I've never seen them shirtless (I think).

I would think that shirtless males would wear some sort of jewelry to look less bare & more celebratory. :think:

I don't see the problem either way!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I personally don't care for the bare chested look on male dancers. That's my preference.

It is all the rage in Eastern Europe right now.

If by "moobs", you mean developed breasts on a male (gynecomastia) - it would be my preference for them to be in a bra.

But that's just me.

Farasha Hanem

:confused: Well, do you want me to be completely honest, Khanjar? :confused: I personally like moobs on a guy! :confused: *glances over at sleeping hubby* >.>;;;

And no bras on boys! -_-

Okay, I'm weird, but you asked! :confused:

Zumarrad

I am not a fan of men in bras nor unfettered male boob in a dance context. In truth, unless you have an absolutely stellar physique, and sometimes not even then, I think guys are better off covering their chests to some degree in this dance form.

If it looks like a breast, it needs to be covered for belly dance IMO.

indrayu

Bare-chested men are fine by me but I find very wobbly flesh anywhere a bit distracting from the dance.

Competely topless might be a lost opportunity for costuming. I love Tarik Sultan's costumes, and Tito makes traditional, neck-to-ankle plain snowy white look so cool (OK, I'll admit to trying not to drool...but that's not really what you were asking about, was it?)

Aniseteph

My 2 cents:
1. No wobbly moobage on display please.
2. Unless it's deliberate cross-dressing or dragging up, no bras for men please. Meaning nothing that looks like a female's push 'em up and accentuate them type of bra. If it's a cunning device to hold them in place and minimise them if necessary, without looking bra-ish, maybe under a vest or as part of a crop-top type garment, that's OK.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
My 2 cents:
1. No wobbly moobage on display please.
2. Unless it's deliberate cross-dressing or dragging up, no bras for men please. Meaning nothing that looks like a female's push 'em up and accentuate them type of bra. If it's a cunning device to hold them in place and minimize them if necessary, without looking bra-ish, maybe under a vest or as part of a crop-top type garment, that's OK.
This. Some rare men *need* a bra - but I do agree, it wouldn't look right.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Completely topless might be a lost opportunity for costuming...
Yes. The contrast between the bare midriff against both the top and the bottom of the costume is what shows off movement the best - and is what a Belly Dancer is generally expected to look like.

DancingArabian

Mark me down for a please conceal the moobage but not with a bra.

I'm biased though because I've not had particularly good experiences with male dancers.

Kashmir

I have seen some amazing modern dancers wearing nothing but a jock strap. But they had bodies that would count as art (but it was distracting trying to work out if they were totally naked). In general I think dancers should wear costumes appropriate to their dance style which are flattering. To me that would mean some upper body cover for most men. In belly dance I would be thinking vests or gallibayas.

DancingArabian

This is an interesting statement - can you elaborate? (asked in all friendliness).

I am very gender oriented, and I also like the people I'm watching perform to be pretty. Not like movie star looks, or model looks, but I like to watch well groomed, well presented performers. When I've watched male dancers, and admittedly it hasn't been all that many, but there really aren't all that many to watch, but I digress. I like to see complimentary colors, flattering cuts of clothing, sensible adornments, thicker material (as in non-see through) in the right places. Perhaps I'm picky!

If a man has moobs and dances - more power to him! But certain types of jiggle is just....unflattering to a person. I like to see men in the vest style tops (don't know the proper name for them) - it's more aesthetically pleasing to me.

When I've watched male dancers, I've seen everything from men wearing boobie tassles, to men doing the wiggleworm of a stripper and calling it belly dance, to a hairy LARGE bulbous gut hanging over a teensy coin belt that was hanging on for dear life. The huge amount of hair was gross. I've seen them wiggleworm around and flop their stuff around (it was all covered but not well contained!) while trying to grind up against the audience like a hired stripper (I have a thing about being touched by strangers so that was a HUGE turnoff). Now of the ones I've seen, the one with the unfortunate belly was the best dancer and honestly just could have used some really frank advice on costuming from a female dancer of similar proportions as well as a botte of Nair. Don't get me wrong - some of the better dancers I've seen have been larger women. It wasn't the weight that turned me off, but the presentation.

I've seen far more facepalm-inspiring fashion... "creativity" in women though, but then again there's far more female dancers out there.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I am very gender oriented, and I also like the people I'm watching perform to be pretty. Not like movie star looks, or model looks, but I like to watch well groomed, well presented performers. When I've watched male dancers, and admittedly it hasn't been all that many, but there really aren't all that many to watch, but I digress. I like to see complimentary colors, flattering cuts of clothing, sensible adornments, thicker material (as in non-see through) in the right places. Perhaps I'm picky!

If a man has moobs and dances - more power to him! But certain types of jiggle is just....unflattering to a person. I like to see men in the vest style tops (don't know the proper name for them) - it's more aesthetically pleasing to me.

When I've watched male dancers, I've seen everything from men wearing boobie tassles, to men doing the wiggleworm of a stripper and calling it belly dance, to a hairy LARGE bulbous gut hanging over a teensy coin belt that was hanging on for dear life. The huge amount of hair was gross. I've seen them wiggleworm around and flop their stuff around (it was all covered but not well contained!) while trying to grind up against the audience like a hired stripper (I have a thing about being touched by strangers so that was a HUGE turnoff). Now of the ones I've seen, the one with the unfortunate belly was the best dancer and honestly just could have used some really frank advice on costuming from a female dancer of similar proportions as well as a bottle of Nair. Don't get me wrong - some of the better dancers I've seen have been larger women. It wasn't the weight that turned me off, but the presentation.

I've seen far more facepalm-inspiring fashion... "creativity" in women though, but then again there's far more female dancers out there.
One word: Yuk...

Doesn't matter what the gender of the dancer is, just yuk.

(although I do have some belly hair).

ETA: Yes, I agree. Upon re-reading my post I wasn't sure that was clear...

Last edited:

Munniko

When I've watched male dancers, I've seen everything from men wearing boobie tassles, to men doing the wiggleworm of a stripper and calling it belly dance, to a hairy LARGE bulbous gut hanging over a teensy coin belt that was hanging on for dear life. The huge amount of hair was gross. I've seen them wiggleworm around and flop their stuff around (it was all covered but not well contained!) while trying to grind up against the audience like a hired stripper (I have a thing about being touched by strangers so that was a HUGE turnoff). Now of the ones I've seen, the one with the unfortunate belly was the best dancer and honestly just could have used some really frank advice on costuming from a female dancer of similar proportions as well as a botte of Nair. Don't get me wrong - some of the better dancers I've seen have been larger women. It wasn't the weight that turned me off, but the presentation.

I have to agree with this entirely. I don't care what size you are doesn't matter to me, but please try and find something that looks good on you, not what you think you should wear. I know I may not be super model, but I dress to flatter my figure and I look better on stage for it.

I think if you have the body for going topless....and it isn't illegal go for it, but if I'm personally coming to see you topless I want something for males along the lines of John Araham;) Moobs are fine, but maybe consider wearing a top of some kind to make you look more stream line or not accentuate them so you look more polished. Also not expecting every hair to be in place, just make sure it doesn't look as much of a rats nest as mine when I wake up:D

I think that above word ramble can be summed up to you are a performer creating an illusion of perfection and all that jazz.