need your advice

egyptian girl

hi all
i've just seen this site now and i'm so happy
and i hope to accept me as afriend to every girl of you.
i adore belly dance and want to learn it as professional
but,i dont know how 2 start
i've almost all the videos and classes concerning belly dance on youtube,but i do not have any teachers or studios in my city
so,will these videos work and help me really???
and can i learn from the performances of other dances????
briefly i wanna to learn but i do not have teacher:confused:,does it mean that i wont ever learn?:rolleyes:
i wair 4 ur answers
and if any1 can tell me where to find other classes and instructional videos i'll be happy

sorry bcz im talkative and bcz of my bad english
love u all

Alaya

Hi, Welcome,Nice to have you here.
I think that videos are vey good but as a addition to classes.
Are you shure there are no classes in your hometown?
maybe there is someone who is teaching?
The video will not show you that you are making mistakes.
I am a instructor and I am waching videos just to see other moves and interpretation of the music. but as a beginer you should find a teacher.
Good luck and fingers cross.
Love, Alaya

egyptian girl

alaya
i completely agree that i wont be guided if i make mistakes(and of course i do) but im sorry 2 say that in my town there are no teachers at all
they exist in cairo and it is so far
thanks alot 4 ur reply

Kashmir

Try and get hold of a teacher

i've almost all the videos and classes concerning belly dance on youtube,but i do not have any teachers or studios in my city
so,will these videos work and help me really??
It is very hard to learn from a good video as a beginner (and YouTube has lots of stuff that is not "good")

If there is no-one nearby, I would really suggest you find someone able to give you one on one tuition from time to time. Even every six months is better than nothing. I say one on one because as a raw beginner without a teacher to follow up you will find most workshops too hard and too confusing. You could end up injured and disheartened.

Where are you? Maybe someone on the board can suggest someone who can help.

KuteNurse

Jenna from New York has great dvd's. Good suggestions above, tell us where you are and maybe there is someone nearby that you do not know of. Good luck to you. Do you have the ability to travel a bit for classes?

egyptian girl

kutenurse
is it possible 2 deliver dvds 2 egypt??
im from city in egypt called MANSURA about 120ks far from cairo-and i cant travel as im just 18 and here its difficult or impossible 2 travel alone for many reasons
u2 good luck

gypsy8522

egyptian girl,

You're the one who sent me a message on youtube, right??? I answered you back...

I don't think purchasing dvds online will do you any good. Since you're Egyptian you probably have a natural understanding of the culure, language and music.. but you might not be dancing the right way. If you don't have the proper technique, learning on your own without a teacher correcting you will push you further back as it could take years to correct the bad dance habits that you picked up. So, it's better to start right from the beginning. I know it's difficult given your age, I had the same problem 4 years ago... couldn't go anywhere without my parents calling my cell phone ten times a day to check up on me! That's why when I went to college I wanted to apply to a university that is as far away from home as possible!

I say continue dancing on your own ya3ni 2odam el meraya until you are old enough to take classes from a real master teacher... What school are you enrolled in???? I know many schools have dance teams... kont batkalim ma3 wa7da moshtarika fil fer2a bta3it el gam3a, we el bent di ra'as saha 7elw awi, she's amazing! Mafeesh zay ra'as el baladi sa da2eeni, seebik men el mostawrad...el baladi yokal

Last edited:

gypsy8522

egyptian girl,

I'm assuming you're in your first year of college. I don't know about mansura, but many universities have dance teams and there is a national competition where they all compete against each other. Well, it's folklore, not exactly belly dancing. But, it would be a good start since you get to learn a lot of the movements and how to dance to different rhythms etc... Many, if not most of, the Egyptian master teachers and dance stars have started out with folkloric groups.