New student needs a dancer name

BellyDance Girl

Would anyone know where I can find an online reference for names for belly dancers and their meaning? Perhaps I'm not ready for a name yet, since I am so new I haven't developed a style or persona.

Aisha Azar

Names

Would anyone know where I can find an online reference for names for belly dancers and their meaning? Perhaps I'm not ready for a name yet, since I am so new I haven't developed a style or persona.

Dear Bellydance Girl
Please be sure that any online source is giving you correct information. Sometimes the names are not correct in their meaning, so it is worthwhile to double and triple check so that you don't end up naming yourself Halime, for example. which means "nipple" in Arabic and not what I saw printed on some list or other!!!
There are two good books on the subject that I can recommend:

Muslim Names, by Fatima Suzan Al-Ja'afari, ISBN 0-89259-030-0, (1982)

Arabic First Names, no author, Hippocrene Books Inc. ISBN 0-7818-0688-7, (1999).

Regards,
A'isha

BellyDance Girl

A'isha, thank you SO MUCH for this very sound advice. The online like is a good first step for me, I beleive, and fun to look at. However, I agree with you that more research should be done when I am ready to choose a name. Therefore, I am most happy for these book references. I want my name to be fabulous and reflective, not embarrassing. Thanks again for the head's up!!

Aisha Azar

Names

A'isha, thank you SO MUCH for this very sound advice. The online like is a good first step for me, I beleive, and fun to look at. However, I agree with you that more research should be done when I am ready to choose a name. Therefore, I am most happy for these book references. I want my name to be fabulous and reflective, not embarrassing. Thanks again for the head's up!!

Dear BellyDance Girl,
You are very welcome. I hope you find a name that fits perfectly. Where do you study in Ohio? Have you met Shakira yet? She is an American Oriental style and fusion dancer who is a wealth of info. I once had the pleasure of sharing a hotel suite with her when we were both teaching at the same event in Virginia. She is a great teacher, so if you get the chance to take a class with her, give her my love!
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

BellyDance Girl

Thank you,

I'm in the Cleveland area, and taking classes at a local school as part of the community's adult recreation/education program. I don't remember the name of the Troupe my instructor (named Paula) is from. However, they do have a studio nearby and I plan on continuing there after the class is over on Oct. 30th.

I have not met Shakira yet, but the name has come up. I will look into her whereabouts. Thank you for the info!

Kharmine

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for --- THANK YOU!!!

You might be interested to know this list is on a web site run by Christina M.K. Al-Sudairy that is dedicated to the study of Arabic language and culture. There are sections for Middle Eastern recipes, music downloads, etc. I've just begun the study of Standard Arabic myself so I find all the additional info very helpful:

welcome to www.sudairy.com

Aisha Azar

Names, etc

Dear Belly Dance Girl,
As you get deeper into your journey into the belly dance world, you will find that there are generally a lot of contradictions in the information out there. One very reliable site will say one thing, while another will say another,while a third site might not be reliable at all. You will find the same thing in talking to dancers, and even to natives from countries of origin. The best thing is to listen and see what the general consensus is in any area. For example, you will hear just a common garment called shurusch, thobe, gelebiyeh, dishdasheh, shiftishi, darrah, and a host of other names. While they all might mean the same basic thing, the dialect spoken and the country in which the garment is being worn will have influence on what the garment is called, as well as the gender of the person who would normally wear it. This can also apply to names to some smaller degree, but often not as much since many names are more formal Arabic. In the book by Al-Ja'afari, she explains the importance of names as they apply in the Muslim mind and Arab cultures. There are also nicknames, which can get confusing. Lulu, for example is sort of short for Loulwa, which, I have been told means pearl, but then, so does Joumana. So it can get confusing. Just keep studying and it will all come out in the wash. As you gain more experience, you also will gain an ability to separate chaff from grain, as they say.
Regards,
A'isha

Tarik Sultan

Dear Belly Dance Girl:

You may want to think about the qualities that you wish to express in your dance, or the strongest emotion that dancing makes you feel. Once you've pinpointed that, then look through the list for a name that best matches that concept.

I would suggest that you ask a person who is a native speaker to confirm its meaning and also help with pronunciation. If you don't know anyone, let me know and I can help you out. You may find though that the way the name is pronounced differes depending on the country the speaker is from. Also anicipate how it may sound being pronounced by someone with an American accent, (I'm assuming you're American, if not then changes that to your country).

Good luck

Tarik