Performance Pet Peeves

Shara

Do you have any pet peeves when watching performances? Mine is: when a dancer uses a prop and it becomes all about the prop and not the dance. We are belly dancers. When we bring out the sword (or any other prop), we should still be belly dancing. No?

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Distracting costumes.

Too much hair flinging, flipping, and/or fondling.

Excessive muscular articulation and related abdominal gymnastics

Darshiva

Overfusion. When there's so much else in a performance (that's labelled as bellydance) that it becomes a game of spot the bellydance. What really peeves me is playing that game and losing!

Crystalllized

I don't know why, but "flipping feet" drive me absolutely nuts. A dancer can be super graceful with her arms, torso and hips, but if I am seeing feet flipping out from under her skirt every 10 seconds, it drives me up the wall!

That and playing zills obnoxiously through an entire piece.

Imeera

Being over "sensual" it just turns into sexy which ruins the performance for me, it makes me wonder if they actually know what belly dance is. Too much hair flipping is another one and playing up to the audience too much. Again too much fusion as well, or saying the dance is one style but its actually fusion or something completely different. But thats more a video pet peeve :lol:

gisela

Super Moderator
Pharaonic arms :lol: I am not sure why but it drives me nuts to see those angled arm positions. I know that some people might like them and I know that it is not a matter of me being "right" and others being wrong. I just cringe when I see them. (It could be done in a humorous way, although... comedy is also hard to pull off)

And something about turns. I see many intermediate dancers turning in an ungraceful way. Like almost jumping around, with a big level change.

Imeera

Pharaonic arms :lol: I am not sure why but it drives me nuts to see those angled arm positions. I know that some people might like them and I know that it is not a matter of me being "right" and others being wrong. I just cringe when I see them. (It could be done in a humorous way, although... comedy is also hard to pull off)
Oh gosh I forgot about this! Yes this drives me nuts too!! I totally agree!!

Daimona

Unenjoyed performer. If the performer don't enjoy his/her own time on stage, how can he/she expect the audience to do it? (Beginners with nerves are fine, though. We've all been there and know how it is to be nervous.. )

BTW, this thread reminds me of some of the things listed in the previous thread "http://www.bellydanceforums.net/debate/13920-dancers-you-dont-like.html".

I'm afraid to ask now...what are phaoronic arms?
Think of the stereotypical arm poses of people in pharaonic art.
Here are two (googled random) articles on pharaonic dance: Overview of Belly Dance: Egyptian Pharaonic Style Belly Dance Pharaonic Dance
Gah! Gisela beat me..

Taslin

I love phaoronic arms in BD!:dance:

I used to cringe as well, and think here we go "its walk like an egyptian time", but now i looove them on me when i dance. Ive seen it look so cliche'd or tacky, but when i see myself use them they suit me well at times.

But i already look like a cliche when i dance so i guess im just embracing it,hehehe.

LilithNoor

I like them when used judiciously, as a starting pose, or as a support for a flipped veil before transitioning to another move. Overuse, however, gets tedious.

My pet peeve is performers who don't smile! I realise grinning like a mad woman all the way through looks equally daft, but I'm sick of dancers who come on stage looking like they're having teeth pulled.

Also dangerous costumes. The type where you can't remember what their dance was like, or even what they were dancing to, because all you could concentrate on was the nagging fear that that boob is going to escape aany minute

Greek Bonfire

When a costume doesn't fit right. Wear the size costume for your body type. All body types are appealing so long as their cossies fit!

Darshiva

My pet peeve is performers who don't smile! I realise grinning like a mad woman all the way through looks equally daft, but I'm sick of dancers who come on stage looking like they're having teeth pulled.
There is a place for facial expressions other than smiling at the beginning of a performance - I've used a scowly/haughty expression in this peformance's entrance (not that you can see it in the video due to the camrea angle) to give weight to a very long intro and make the audience wonder if I was going to dance for them or not. (in that instance, of course it helps to go out there with a mindset that says exactly the same thing. In this case I wasn't certain that I was going to dance for them, but they behaved so I opened up my heart, smiled and danced).

I think the key is knowing when to use facial expression to add drama to a performance. Too much and the audience thinks you hate them, too little & they wonder if they're voyeurs!

LilithNoor

Darshiva- agreed. I do a solo to a very slow, sad song, and it would look really silly to be smiling away while the singers goes on about her broken heart and the cruelty of her lover. And a lot of rom and tribal fusion lends itself to a very haughty expression.

I think dancers need to ensure that whatever faces they do make convey the right emotion, and that's not happening locally at the moment. Unless, of course, there's a trend for looking like you just remembered you left the iron on and you can;t wait to go home and check.

Yame

And something about turns. I see many intermediate dancers turning in an ungraceful way. Like almost jumping around, with a big level change.
I think I know what you're talking about. People who can't spin without bopping up and down.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
There is a place for facial expressions other than smiling at the beginning of a performance - I've used a scowly/haughty expression ...!
I wish I could look regally, beautifully haughty, but I end up looking either like I'm thinking of taking an ax to someone or like I have a very terrible pain somewhere that is about to do me in right on stage.

Amulya

A skimpy costume, or a tacky cheap tourist costume. Even the most expensive designer costume is awful to look at if you wonder if a costume malfunction is going to happen.

LadyLoba

I have the opposite problem with facial expressions...my face looks normal when I have a neutral to serious expression, but when I purposely smile while dancing or being photographed I either look like I just split something Im wearing or like I'm on drugs.