Performance Pet Peeves

Starmouth

In response to my earlier post about noisy kids, there were plenty of kids there who were behaving just fine - I don't want to sound like I hate kids, far from it! And obviously a certain level of noise is to be expected from little ones. Crying babies are not a problem. Kids talking and laughing is not a problem. I suppose it was more the fact that the parents in this particular family showed absolutely no concern, or even attempted to shush their children. :naghty:

And when the little girl started to trying to climb on to the stage she could really have hurt herself, and no one was taking responsibility for her.

LadyFatima

In response to my earlier post about noisy kids, there were plenty of kids there who were behaving just fine - I don't want to sound like I hate kids, far from it! And obviously a certain level of noise is to be expected from little ones. Crying babies are not a problem. Kids talking and laughing is not a problem. I suppose it was more the fact that the parents in this particular family showed absolutely no concern, or even attempted to shush their children. :naghty:

And when the little girl started to trying to climb on to the stage she could really have hurt herself, and no one was taking responsibility for her.
Oh yeah, no problem! I didn't mean to sound like I was personally attacking you, I definitely wasn't trying to imply that you were a kid hater. If anything I was trying to defend MYSELF from sounding like kids give me headaches (which they do. . .:rolleyes:) LOL

It's just that I've never been a mom, and I'm not around little kids much (besides younger cousins and stuff). I know that as I get older and get little ones of my own, my level of patience and understanding will grow.

I was just giving my own opinion on the matter. I still love the kiddies though, I remember quite well what it was like to be a 'rugrat' myself (since it really wasnt that long ago:lol:)

And just to put my own two cents in again, I'd rather deal with rowdy children than with rowdy adults. . .:mad:

Starmouth

Lady Fatima, I agree. The kids were still easier to deal with than the guy who drank 7 cans of lager and commented loudly on all the dancer's physical attributes. :rolleyes:

shiradotnet

I suppose it was more the fact that the parents in this particular family showed absolutely no concern, or even attempted to shush their children.

You might enjoy seeing what Samia Gamal had to say in an interview about why she didn't like doing weddings very much:

Interviews with Tahia Carioca and Samia Gamal - Transcript Translated into English

(It's near the bottom of the page.)

Starmouth

Thanks Shira. :)

I think realistically, kids will be kids. When they're very little they need someone to tell them what is appropriate behaviour for a show, and to keep them to it. I don't think anyone would expect awed silence from a bunch of six year olds, but an adult should at least remind them to sit down if they start running about!

lulusabooboo

Shara, that is indeed stupid that guy didn't understand. You can avoid it by editing the music and give the CD with only the music you want to be played. I also always put a sticker with instructions written on it with big letters LOL, plus my name and phone number in case they lose it.

I have another story, and this one is a beauty of annoying-ness:

so I had this gig that was paying very well for a big company. They wanted me to dance at the reception before dinner, 2 sets. I told them that I will enter when I hear the music. I was waiting, waiting and waiting....till someone came in the room frantically: "he music is already playing, the people are waiting". I did not hear any music, but came out anyway. And there it was.....
a TINY boombox with nearly no sound coming out!
Eventually I sorted it out by dancing at the dinner, there was a huge dance floor and a complete sound system :shok: What is wrong with these people not to have thought of that??? It was clear that they had too much money to spend to even care (they paid me through an agency, so they had to pay double: in total $4000 for them)
I had a similar situation my first paid gig, the music started late. They were using the IPOD attached to whatever. They didn't really have a DJ it was a band, so it was hooked up to their equipment. I am assuming. I didn't know at first. But, I was like what am I doing? :shok: Still dancing of course. Then, I just improv'd until I figured out where I was, lmao! :dance:

Man, I will not ever forget that things don't go as planned. Of course my music always started on time at recital. Kind of glad it happened at my first gig though.

I mean I can't really say I don't like a performance. I would like to say I don't get it sometimes and then if I see the dancer again I am like WOAH! SHE IS AWESOME! If you would of asked me this years ago, I would of said many things I did not like.

LadyLoba

Reviving this thread because as I watch more and more belly dance performances at restaurants (via youtube)...the thing that really bugs me is a dancer with a smug, conceited facial expression....that one that screams "aren't I just adorable? Isn't every move I make just so cute/sexy/mysterious/flat out wonderful?"

Yame

Reviving this thread because as I watch more and more belly dance performances at restaurants (via youtube)...the thing that really bugs me is a dancer with a smug, conceited facial expression....that one that screams "aren't I just adorable? Isn't every move I make just so cute/sexy/mysterious/flat out wonderful?"
Can you elaborate? What's so wrong about that?

LilithNoor

...the thing that really bugs me is a dancer with a smug, conceited facial expression
I sort of know what you mean but it's difficult to quantify. I see it more in fusion dancers (although that may be because I move more in those circles), and it bugs me because that's their only expression. Every dancer likes to show off, and part of the fun of a performance is to display your skills, but a good dancer has a mix of expressions: 'aren't I awesome?' 'this piece of music is so emotional' 'this is such fun' 'I'm so glad you're here watching me'.

Solid and unmitigated smug for four minutes gets irritating.

Darshiva

I think my two expressions are 'Wheeeeeeeee! This is so much FUUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!!' and 'ZOMG! I think my (insert costume bit/shoe/piece of jewellery here) is about to fall off!'. LOL!

I try to hide the second one but it always manages to sneak in. So if you ever see a vid of me where I don't constantly look like I'm enjoying myself, now you know. ;)

Shanazel

Super Moderator
I have to concentrate on the happier expressions of BD because my expressions for soulful, sad, whistful, and serious all look like I'm pissed off and about to smack someone with an assaya. Can't help it, it's just the way my features are arranged. :rolleyes: I'm afraid if I tried for smug and conceited brave men would run screaming from the audience.

Amulya

Major pet peeve: bad organizing, to the point where the gigs have to be cancled due to non existant music systems. Boomboxes won't do for my gigs; mostly outdoors or for a too large hall.

shisharoo

Pet peeve?

Well, I have only performed BD a few times, but my first large performance was at an university during an international festival. It was in this large ballroom with a mass audience. Overcoming my nerves, I stepped out and started to dance. The audience went wild, which really was nice! But then some college student thought it would be a grand idea to create some special lighting effects while I was dancing. He started dimming and flicking on and off the lights!!! I just kept dancing and smiling, the whole time trying not to get dizzy.

:think: I must have done well enough, because I was invited back to perform for the same event next week! Hopefuly they'll leave the lights alone this time!!! LOL

shisharoo

No, no, no, I must have not expalined clearly enough. You see, there wasn't a real stage or stage lighting. He was literaly flicking a light switch on and off and messing with the ballroom over head dimmer. Even my instructor was wondering who the heck messed with the lights. It effected the entire lighting of the room, not just the stage...!

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Light technicians are often happy if you specify what kind of abuse you think should be heaped on those messing with the light board/room lights.

LadyLoba

Unmitigated smug for four minutes :) That's the perfect way to put it! It's actually an annoying facial expression in any situation. I work in the same building with a woman who walks around with that expression...that constant "aren't I just the greatest thing you ever saw?" look...all the time.

In belly dance it's especially annoying when the person isn't any good, but thinks that smirky, smug, "aren't I great?" look is enticing or something.

There is one professional dancer...has some DVDs...I don't remember her name but I dont enjoy her just because her facial expressions are so obnoxious. Simon Cowell walks around with pretty much the same one...

Bast

Just want to put it out there that some people look smug when in fact they are really nervous.

I had to really work on that one. I hated how I looked performing, but couldn't change until I had a lot more experience and better control of my nerves.

I suppose, by the time you're restaurant dancing, you should have mastered that one though.