Persian wedding knife dance

Tourbeau

This is an interesting tradition, but I'm curious whether I'm indirectly responsible for this thread being started. Before I went on the yesterday's YouTube jag about Yemeni dance (triggered by that cane video) and the dive a few days earlier into Samia Gamal, I was looking for knife dancing videos. It's a long story with no conclusion about whether Egypt had much of a history of using knives as dance props prior to mahraganat, but in the course of poking around YouTube, I was watching Persian Raghse Chaghoo videos.

Not that you couldn't have come to this video from any number of other ways and other sources, but I have to ask whether Big GoogleAI Brother recommended you watch a Raghse Chaghoo video, because if it did, then it looks like they've been creepily cross-referencing what I've been watching to what you've been watching. Or is this just a coincidence?

Anyway, back to the topic...you can get a slightly different assortment of clips for further viewing if you search on what appears to be the string in Farsi ایرانی رقص چاقو even though many of them are tagged in English. More info here https://www.iranvisitor.com/iran-culture/persian-weddings.

Here's one with a bunch of different dancers getting paid
رقصة السكين في زواج ايراني

This clip says "The knife dance is a Persian wedding ritual. Someone on the bride's side steals the cake knife and starts dancing with it. The groom has to pay up to get the knife back." It uses the song recommended on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/iran/comments/2cncs0 Persian Wedding Knife Dance

This is a outlier with a guy getting in on the dance. It says "In Persian culture, typically women dance with the cake knife in exchange for money from the groom. This guy takes the knife and reinvents it into a revolutionary violin dance."
Husband and Wife do the Persian knife dance

And apparently, Afghanis also do a version of this, too. https://thelanguageoflovein20cultures.blogspot.com/2017/04/traditional-afghan-weddings.html
Afghan Wedding 💒 cake 🎂 knife 🔪 Dance 💃

Shanazel

Not that you couldn't have come to this video from any number of other ways and other sources, but I have to ask whether Big GoogleAI Brother recommended you watch a Raghse Chaghoo video, because if it did, then it looks like they've been creepily cross-referencing what I've been watching to what you've been watching. Or is this just a coincidence?

Tourbeau, I can't remember offhand how I came across this. Let me think about it and I'll let you know.

Shanazel

Tourbeau:

Re: The Persian knife dance video and is this just a coincidence?

Just a coincidence. The video I posted originally was on a creative writer's forum in a thread where someone asked for inspiration for writing a dance scene. There were several other wedding dance videos as well. This was the nicest.

Tourbeau

That's a relief! It would have been very unsettling if YouTube had been triangulating my history, the videos I've posted here, and your recommended watch list.

Shanazel

Summer temps in Florida are enough to bring on temporary brain deadness. I figure my little gray cells will suffer as soon as I set foot into the Texas heat later this week.

Daimona

(I just keep reading this as Parisian wedding knife dance, don't know why)

I keep getting commercials on my SoMe related to whatever my husband is checking or reading about, just because we share network/IP address. Lately he has been looking a lot for cars. This was how I learnt that one of the providers had a lottery for concert tickets with some fallen teenage pop idol (I've never been a fan and did not sign up for the lottery). Unfortunately, we won. We gave the tickets for his cousin, who has teenage kids. At least there are two kids looking forward to the concert on Sunday. :LOL:

But back on track for the Persian knife wedding dance, there was a similar dance scene in a Norwegian television series last year (Persian-mixed wedding). As this series was based on mainly historical events, the main media released a fact check for each episode, thus providing a rare explantion of this custom in Norwegian media. From what I can see of the clips in this thread, the norwegian actors did a good job. :)