Please help! It's time for music! Let's talk! I'm new!

Ayureadie

Hiyaa!! I'm new here, and really excited to have joined! I recently started taking bellydance classes and I've become so attached to bellydance music. But I still don't know enough about the songs. I'd like to know what the name of these songs are, and where they're from. I think it's all from Egypt, but i've heard differently too. Anyways, I watch Didem on youtube, and I found these songs. Does anyone know them?
Here are the URLs
YouTube - DiDEM 16
YouTube - Didem turkish bellydancer I
YouTube - Didem, Turkish Belly Dancer

ughh, i don't remember what this site said about youtube, but I hope i posted the URL ok. lol.

So, anyone else feel really attached to Egyptian and bellydance music? Like they knew it all their lives. To me the songs are just so natural.. emotional, and that moving your body in that way just happens naturally too.

What is your favourite music? I'd love to hear from all of you, and learn from everyone as well.

Thankyou very much!
-Ru

Sita

Hiyaa!! I'm new here, and really excited to have joined! I recently started taking bellydance classes and I've become so attached to bellydance music. But I still don't know enough about the songs. I'd like to know what the name of these songs are, and where they're from. I think it's all from Egypt, but i've heard differently too. Anyways, I watch Didem on youtube, and I found these songs. Does anyone know them?
Here are the URLs
YouTube - DiDEM 16
YouTube - Didem turkish bellydancer I
YouTube - Didem, Turkish Belly Dancer

ughh, i don't remember what this site said about youtube, but I hope i posted the URL ok. lol.

So, anyone else feel really attached to Egyptian and bellydance music? Like they knew it all their lives. To me the songs are just so natural.. emotional, and that moving your body in that way just happens naturally too.

What is your favourite music? I'd love to hear from all of you, and learn from everyone as well.

Thankyou very much!
-Ru
Hello and welcome to the Board :)
Well I love general ME music, not just Egyptian, also like you it was the music that drew me to bellydance in the first place.
my fav artists/composers are:
Samira Said - a huge family favourite
Natacha Atlas
Najwa Karam
Fairouz
Nawal Al Zoghbi
Mohamed Mounir
Mohammed Abdel Wahab
Sibel Can
Ofra Haza
Moustafa Amr
Hossam Ramzy
Ghada Shbeir
Abdel Halim Hafez
Rahbani Brothers

Sita

Last edited:

Ayureadie

oh cool. I'll check them out. Are those composers or singers? I'm really into music that has no singing and is just..music lol. I'll go check those people that you mentioned though. Thanks a lot or replying Sita. <3

Sita

oh cool. I'll check them out. Are those composers or singers? I'm really into music that has no singing and is just..music lol. I'll go check those people that you mentioned though. Thanks a lot or replying Sita. <3

Most are singer the composers are:
The Rahbani brothers
Hossam Ramzy
Mohammed Abdel Wahab

Hope that helps
Sita :)

sedoniaraqs

The music in the first clip is Set El Hosen. It is available on a number of different albums, including one called Princess of Cairo. It might also be spelled slightly differently (Sit El Hosn, etc). It is Egyptian and was originally composed for Egyptian dancer Nagua Fouad in the 1970's.

Sorry, I didn't recognize the music in the others.

I was really struck by how influenced by western and Egyptian styles Didem's dancing seems to be. She has really nice movements, but if I didn't know better, I'd think I was watching the latest star of the Bellydance Superstars. Is the Turkish style just being completely eclipsed by other influence?

Ayureadie

For sedoniaraqs,
As far as I know, yup. Pretty much. I noticed that mostly Egyptian music is used for their belly dancers. Turkish music also definitely has a lot of influence from India, and the Arab world. (Sometimes Europe too, but European music came from the Arab world too so)

Last edited:

Ayureadie

The music in the first clip is Set El Hosen. It is available on a number of different albums, including one called Princess of Cairo. It might also be spelled slightly differently (Sit El Hosn, etc). It is Egyptian and was originally composed for Egyptian dancer Nagua Fouad in the 1970's.

Sorry, I didn't recognize the music in the others.

I was really struck by how influenced by western and Egyptian styles Didem's dancing seems to be. She has really nice movements, but if I didn't know better, I'd think I was watching the latest star of the Bellydance Superstars. Is the Turkish style just being completely eclipsed by other influence?

And Thankyou!! I'll definitely look for it on an album. (I need to buy more music anyways) but there are different versions of the song right? Hmm, I want one that's exactly like the video. I think that's the original version anyways. anyways thanks. =P

Last edited: