Priceless look from Nagua Fuad

MirahAmmal

I agree--that was a gorgeous looking dress from what we could see of it--would have loved to see more.

..It may also be worth noting--and I'm not trying to be catty at all here, quite the contrary--that some of Nagua's expression may be...well...her neutral facial expression. I saw her recently, and her neutral expression (when she's just sitting, not really looking at much of anything) looks a little pinched and like she might be displeased. This might be exaggerated by the cosmetic surgery she's had (Remember, she's in her mid-70s now, so she was in her 60s when this video was taken.) So...she may not have been *trying* to give the dancer a nasty puss the whole time.

I actually wondered about the source of this competition was too. I mean, overall, the aesthetic of the TV set and the dancing was more modern Lebanese (heeled shoes, super skinny dancers, some of the type/quality of her movements) but I don't know who the dancers themselves were/where they were from. I doubt these women were beginners, but it could be that the dancer in the video is considered quite good where she comes from or where she generally performs, but doesn't "get" the Egyptian music she was using for her piece. Nagua, as an Egyptian legend and Setrak as a musician would have pretty strong opinions about how one should dance to Azzia.

Shanazel

Mirah is probably onto something when she suggests that Nagua's neutral facial expression perhaps looks pinched. My neutral expression looks somewhat less elegant and approachable than I would like. I can't help how Mother Nature decided to arrange my features, and perhaps Nagua can't either. God knows, if that woman is nearly seventy in those pictures, either Ma Nature or Nagua's plastic surgeon did one hell of a job with her! I think she's gaaaawgeous!

Suhad

No, there's definitely a 'look' there...the eyebrows, the crossed arms, the leaning back from what she's watching say it all.

That girl was flat out frantic in her dancing! It's one thing to dance with the drums, it's another to try to hit absolutely every single drum beat continuously.

Moon

Indeed a good job, although I can respect it more when people are less affraid of getting older :p

Ludmilla

Dear Ludmila:)
Nagua Fouad is one of the greatest dancers of 70's 80's. Actress also as most of the famous dancers of that era and before. She was considered to be the arabian answer to Brigit Bartot and Sofia Loren (to get her style)
A small bio for her you can read here:
http://www.belly-dance.org/nagua-fouad.html

Some like her style some doesnt but she was was a star (in general i prefer others but she have a live baladi introducing the instruments that make me cry always)

Setrak is one of the most famous arab tabla players, for sure you have heard solo's by him, and he worked with the most famous dancers in their pick time. So he can judge a bellydance contest also.

Maria Aya:)

Dear Maria -- Thanks for this background information, and putting this in context - Nagua and Setrak. (I see what you mean about Bridgette Bardot, etc - she does have that sort of glamor).
Some things that I now find very bizarre about the clip are the approach of the older generation to the contestant -- yet these very two judged this performance the best? It's a really interesting look into the situation. (One would hope Nagua in private perhaps might pass along some good pointers for the dancer in the interests of art.) Maria - thanks very much for posting this!!! And I'll look through the bio/link --

It also comes to mind that maybe the dancer might have gotten really nervous and become really shy about her expressiveness and just tried to race through the piece (that certainly shows), and was not really prepared...let alone to face these judges...?
I like the modern interpretation of Azizza -- such a great song:) ----- Ludmilla

Aniseteph

No, there's definitely a 'look' there...
I think so! Where the dancer does a backbend there's a sort of "oh well..." look for a second. The hand-over-mouth gesture one of the others does is a bit of classic body language too :rolleyes:.

Still if that's the worst she got.... it's nothing compared to the gratuitous insults on X-Factor nowadays.

Gabi

Hi! Could someone please explain who are Nagwa (obviously a famous dancer) though and Setrak? (I gather he is the first man the clip stops on his facial expression for a while? But who is he? A musician...? In that case, who is te other guy?) Also those three other ladies looking on -- probably other contestants....really funny.
That's when you realize I guess, if dancing for another generation of greats, how homogenized many things are these days. (the dancer racing through the motions, face quite blank, & as you've said -- Tempo, tempo!! Very educational!! (But if someone could give a bit of background on Nagwa and Setrak would be nice to know) -- Also is this clip from Egyptian TV? Sorry if I should know all this!! Thanks -- Ludy

Here ya go Ludy - see how you like her http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuALxe26wLU&mode=related&search=

Ludmilla

Gabi - Thanks for the U-Tube clip! Nagwa was wonderful and that dress - phew! (still the sour face as judge doesn't make her look better but I guess it's your privilege in her shoes...) Ludy

Outi

This is from DVD Belly Dance Classics -
The Legends of Belly Dance 1947-1976

It's very "young style" of Naqwa. I liked so much of this piece and the other this DVD had. (Good DVD :D , I would recomend.)
Later she became much more theatral. She made more big show style stuff, than other dancers. I'm not so big fan of hers.

Where did you see the piece, which made you cry Maya? I'm interersted!

Zumarrad

I think Nagua was an awesome performer but I don't care how fabulous she was, or how many million CDs Setrak has put out - they're being quite unnecessarily rude. So the dancer isn't the greatest who ever lived, so what. There's such a thing as being gracious.

Of course, I know that everyone here dances much better than her, so perhaps you can happily join in the mocking, but it makes me queasy, quite frankly.