Putting together a costume - just for fun

Rue

I'm just looking for opinions. I'm taking traditional Egyptian-style dance classes. But I prefer a gypsy look (fortune teller) as far as costumes go.

To entertain my girly side I'm putting together a costume. I have the 25 yard tiered skirt, a gypsy-style top (that I wear over a camisole - don't want to expose my baby-stretched tummy)...and I'm getting quite a collection of hip scarves to play with! I'm also in the process of making myself a tribal-style tasselled belt.

If I ever wear this costume it would be to 'help' in (i.e. to take tickets at the door, play the doumbek) ...not to perform in (no intention of performing).

So despite the fact that seemingly 'anything' goes (and I've seen it all pretty much at this point) I was just wondering if anyone else dances Egyptian in what essentially a 'tribal' type outfit? Would you just make all your moves bigger to accomodate the skirt and flowin sleeves, etc.

Is there anything you wouldn't do?

For headwear I was thinking a flat cap with maybe a veil attached to the back. I'm not into make-up...so no drawing/jewels glued on my face.

I still want the end result to be danceable in...and look good. Even if I only ever dance for myself in it.

cjcronin

intricate civilization?

I prefer intricacy and delicacy when getting together a costume. To me suggesting a higher civilization through sophisticated costuming enhances the over-all impression of the dance.

Greek Bonfire

I think I'm rather tame in comparison. The only faux pax I've done is to dance baladi-saiidi with a bare stomach!

Rue

...was that an 'oopsie' or was a deliberate choice on your part?:)

I'm just not sure if I'm still mixing apples with apples or apples with oranges...even given the freedom of costuming.

Shanazel

Honey, you're mixing horses with grapefruit, but if your main goal is to dance for yourself and have fun, go for it. :D If you eventually want something a bit more traditional, there are loads of examples and threads devoted to costumes on OD.

Rue

Well then! Maybe I should just stop worrying...relax and have fun with it. :D

Actually I am having fun...but it will be more fun if I'm not worrying.:lol:

SidraK

Hi Rue,

I don't know if you're in an urban centre or not, but for fun and cheap jewelry Claire's and Le Chateau (once things get marked down for discount) are my favorites. Good balance of cabaret-style sparklies and more tribalish bangles, wood, etc. There's also an instructor here in Regina that sells actual tribal jewelry for pretty affordable prices.