Representative Dancer - UK

Kashmir

If you had to pick one dancer as representative of belly dance in the UK today, who would it be?

lizaj

It would have to be Khaled Mahmoud or Houda Amrani :D

I'm gonna pin you down.
What if they have to be home-grown;)
We are so lucky to have people like this but they have brought something special with them and now we can claim them as our own BUT someone without their undoubted advantages????????

I also loved watching Yasmina and Sara but they've gone and abandoned us:D

karena

Are we on representative or best though...

Are they representing us in some thought-experiment-event or are they indicative of what to expect??

Caroline_afifi

Now it's just got complicated! :lol:

I chose the two I did because they are by legal definition..British and live in the UK! :dance:

I think they are the best in ME dance in this country, and generally great teachers and advocates for this dance anywhere.

I am not thinking 'this one is good and that one'..etc.

There are many great dancers and teachers in the UK and I have great respect for many of them. All of them very different from each other.. so for me it would be impossible to choose on this basis.

karena

Now it's just got complicated! :lol:
Well did you expect anything less :lol:

I'm interested because I get the impression that they would be too good to be representative, and that to be representative, as in what lots are like, it would need to be different. This isn't my experience, but I often get the impression I live in BD bubble of good dancers/teachers which isn't the case elsewhere. I don't know this, but this is the impression I get from others, hence why I am interested...

Caroline_afifi

No! :lol:

I yes, I see what you mean now... doh.

That alters it totally....:think: I was thinking more of great ambassadors for the promotion of good dancing in the UK.