Saroyan Zills

Kartane

New information from someone who emailed Harry Saroyan and got back this reply about him going out of business.

"Hi Julie,
THAT'S NOT TRUE !

After almost 50 years of service to the Belly Dance Community I have decided
to put my business for sale. At the time being we will not be manufacturing on
a large scale anymore, as one of our workers retired and the other got married
and moved to Florida."

Apparently, if he finds a buyer, they will be back at some point, but right now they are not producing. There is hope!

Kartane

I think it's wise to buy what we want as we find it, because who knows how long it will be before production comes back? Hopefully sooner than later. In the mean time, glad I ordered a bunch for myself and a bunch of other students in my area.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I think buying from the "original" is worthwhile, who knows if someone new can make them the same, or will continue too over time, they may have ideas of their own. But it's nice to know they could be available again at some stage.
~Mosaic

Munniko

O_O wow I got mine like a week ago from Amazon and then suddenly everything is gone I guess I'm gonna get another pair while I can find them.

Ariadne

Well I just ordered my pair. I've already received an e-mail confirmation but until I have them in hand I'm going to worry about something going wrong. I didn't need to eat this week anyway right? ;)

teela

I figure I can survive on beans and rice till payday and I am wondering if ordering 3 pairs was enough or if I should order a couple more before they are all gone.....LOL.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Just found that Desert Veils here in Aussie have some. Shipping would be a lot cheaper for Aussies & NZ'ers. But they are available for anyone who wants to buy if they can't find the ones they want closer to home Zills: Saroyan and Egyptian Zils, Sagets, Cymbals

I told a friend of mine about the low stock & she just let me know that quite a few are available at Desert Veils. You have to place your order to the site owner via email which is on her website DESERT VEILS BELLY DANCE:ORDERS
~Mosaic

Daimona

I did it! I just ordered a set of silver arabesques II. I got a tax refund which I think is partly faulty so I'm taking advantage of the temporary extra money before I call on monday to ask if they did a mistake :lol:

Lucky you got the last ones of arabesque II... (because I ordered last night from Alladins Cave and didn't get them)

Last edited:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Oh so sad! I was just going to email him to ask how to care for my student level zills that are starting to rust :(

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Oh so sad! I was just going to email him to ask how to care for my student level zills that are starting to rust :(
If they're Saroyans, they don't "rust". Tarnish yes, rust, no. Use Brasso or automotive wax - they'll shine right up.

tigerb

I was happy I managed to find myself a backup set of Grecians.

But I have to wonder: WILL he be able to sell this business? It's so specialized...

Farasha Hanem

If they're Saroyans, they don't "rust". Tarnish yes, rust, no. Use Brasso or automotive wax - they'll shine right up.

Yeah, I thought so---I've never, ever heard of Saroyan zills rusting.

Thank you for the link, Mosaic, but I'm not going to have the money for them for several weeks. :( I doubt if they'll still be there by then. :(

gisela

Super Moderator
Lucky you got the last ones of arabesque II... (because I ordered last night from Alladins Cave and didn't get them)

Aaw sorry :( I did get a confirmation email of my order and payment a few days later so I am hopeful that I will actually get a set.

Daimona

Aaw sorry :( I did get a confirmation email of my order and payment a few days later so I am hopeful that I will actually get a set.

I'm happy for you, Gisela. :) I got a mail the day after I ordered, and my money back.

Last edited:

Roshanna

Yeah, I thought so---I've never, ever heard of Saroyan zills rusting
My Grecians which I've had for a few years did have some rust-coloured patches on them as well as overall tarnish or patina, mostly around the elastic slots and in places where my fingers touched them a lot. I had a go at polishing them with brasso today and most of it's gone except for a few stubborn spots. Took quite a bit of buffing to get them nice and shiny again, but they now look much less sad and old next to my new arabesque IIs which arrived today :D

Silverfyre

Thanks so much for posting this otherwise I wouldnt have had a clue!! I'd been meaning to buy another set since last year.

Managed to get a pair of Saroyan Pro's from shaila.de last night, for anyone europe based they have a few sets left.

Munniko

So this is a random question especially in light of the "Great Zill crisis of 2013" but the pair I have seem to be a little big for my hands, can you learn to play large zills? I got another pair which are a better size for me.