Saroyan Zills

Viola

Ugh, it's typical this should happen when I'm literally broke :( Been after brass Afghani's for sooooo long but never had spare cash. I have arabesques but find them too tiny for my hands!!

gisela

Super Moderator
I just got my silver Arabesques II and OMG they are gorgeous! Just feeling the metal is a sensation so different from touching my mass-produced zills. The saroyans have a fantastic tone and after just clanging and plinging them together I could never go back to those clacking, klonking boring old zills. I've seen the light (a bit late unfortunately).

PracticalDancer

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Tinkerzills! That's another one we have to add to the dictionary!

ETA: added! (http://bellydanceforums.net/other-dance-stuff/10150-orientaldancer-net-dictionary-8.html#post220286) Thanks Munniko, I appreciate that term!

Ummmmm, they're actually a set of Saroyan zills, its not a made-up name. They're made for small hands, or for children. There is also a set called Mini Zills. They're probably higher quality than the usual beginner zills, knowing Harry Saroyan.

Last edited:

Suzanne Azhaar

Saroyan Mini zills and Tinker zills, great sound and weight for children. Perfect for my nonexistant hand strength when starting out. Now they're for our granddaughter when she is old enough.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Dangit -- I meant to get a pair of each but then the site went down again :(

Well, I don't see a HUGE run on those coming, so maybe I can still get him a pair. I like the Minis better, but if anybody has a set they want to sell (of either one) I might be interested!

Farasha Hanem

:confused: I have thought many times that I probably would be better off getting a set of mini zills for my dinky hands , but I tend to prefer big, honking props. *eyeballs her ginormous sword and cane in the corner* >.>

Kartane

New on Saroyan's Website:

"Due to overwhelming demand and depleted inventory, our online store
is temporarily closed. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.
Please check back around June 15th."

ezmasiddiqah

I have a pair of brand new afghani german silver zills on ebay for five days. Was lucky enough to use a credit card to buy a bunch of afghani and dervish. seriously love them.

Farasha Hanem

New on Saroyan's Website:

"Due to overwhelming demand and depleted inventory, our online store
is temporarily closed. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.
Please check back around June 15th."

But, if they're depleted and Harry is retiring... o_O?

NormaW

The latest news is that Harry has listed the business for sale with a broker. My guess is that if the store reopens on or after June 15, it will open with a new owner. :think:

Sirène

At this point I'm hoping he surprises us all and re-opens in March or April. I didn't think I wanted or needed another pair but I was going through the sound samples and fell in love with the low tone of the Small Grecians.

NormaW

Such a specific date -- do you think he's got someone in mind, but the sale won't be final until June?

That was my first thought. The second thought is that it is a random date in the future with the hope to get some production going until a buyer can be found. The first would be a good thing. From the rumour mills I heard that if the business is sold, he would stay on as a consultant for a while. That would be a good time to get some zills.

The second scenario, not a good thing at all.

NormaW

At this point I'm hoping he surprises us all and re-opens in March or April. I didn't think I wanted or needed another pair but I was going through the sound samples and fell in love with the low tone of the Small Grecians.

Yeah, I don't really NEED another pair but there are some I still want to add to my collection.

FYI-A friend and listened to sound clips over and over and think that the large Fahtiem signature zills are based on the Saroyan Pros and we think the small are based on the Persian.

It appears Artemis imports is the only retailer that still has some zills in stock, although she's raised the prices significantly.

When I called Belly Dance Treasures, she said they did have some in stock but very limited. You might want to try there. They didn't have what I was looking for though.

Last edited:

NormaW

I have a pair of brand new afghani german silver zills on ebay for five days. Was lucky enough to use a credit card to buy a bunch of afghani and dervish. seriously love them.

I heard those went for a very good price! And I also heard a pair of arabesque II silver pros sold for $100.