Showing skin hurts credibility?

Moon

Kharmine, that's the first time an item called "sexy" is sexy indeed instead of sleazy! :lol:

Kharmine

Kharmine, that's the first time an item called "sexy" is sexy indeed instead of sleazy! :lol:

I agree -- Ebay is full of stuff yelling SEXY when it isn't -- or when it's so over-the-top it doesn't need pointing out!

For anyone interested, I occasionally wear a pair of these pants to class (especially when it's cold) and they're perfect for me, a short and short-torso woman. They are made of rayon. If you are tall, they may fit you more like capris pants. They have an elastic waist and you can adjust the wrap part a bit. The pants are not nearly as wide as the usual harem style, but they are not tight, either. They fall back to reveal leg up to just above the knee when doing floorwork, which is a nice touch.

I've seen many different versions of "fisherman's pants" -- they are nearly always made in India or Thailand.

Tribal_Love

I have to agree with the very first post with the thread a bit. I know alot of girls that will wear their outfit to get attention and be oh I'm sexy and what not. With my outfits I make sure everything is covered that needs to be, etc. I've also come across people that I've told that I want to do bellydancing in college and they just kinda look away and go omg and I just go "-_-'" with anger cuz they need to be more open minded that not all girls are slutty about this beautiful art form. My neighbors and relatives aught to know me better that that that I'm not that kinda of girl to those that I've told my college plans to. Ugh....

Brea

What dreams and nightmares bellydance costumes provoke! I always put on my new costumes and start noticing...ah, this doesn't look so good; for some reason bras always tip forwards on me, I don't have a butt so I often have to pin my belt to my skirt. HOWEVER! I do have a flawless hourglass figure, with waist and hips, so I am proud of that. I tend to wear costumes that cover my legs because while I do have extremely powerful, muscular legs, they aren't dancer's legs- they look like they belong on the brick ****house Tarik was talking about!

One costuming choice I don't like is the miniskirt on ANYBODY. Shimmies look really bizarre when you can actually see the movement below the belt!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
[snip]
Personally, I don't have problems with a little cleavage or a lot of bare belly showing, but I don't like a lot of bare leg showing because I think the dance looks nicer and the movement are more mysterious when the legs are less visible.
[snip]
Women can be beautiful and sensual in less revealing clothes too.
{snip]
I think it's just a matter of taste. I like the costumes in the picture showing on the top of the forum, but not the short "normal" dresses combined with heals some dancers are wearing nowadays.
Moon, I agree, with you, that a little cleavage/leg is sensual. I know some dancers don't mind a lot of cleavage or skirts cut high on the leg and they carry it well. But for me it can be awfully distracting. Having said that, a flash of shapely leg in a beautiful costume or firmly held in place boobs in a sparkling bra top, is quite empowering, the dancer is proud of the dance and herself, that is beautiful to me. I adore Salome's pic at the top of the forum, gorgeous costume, flattering colour on her, (I know we can't see the skirt, but with a gorgeous body like that I know it has to be really lovely) to me that is the epitome of bellydance - cab/trad style.

I also adore the long dresses, with the netting around the middle, they are very flattering to all body shapes if cut well. I don't like costumes/dresses with cutouts all over the place, even of a beautiful body, I feel they have gone from sensual and mysterious to bordering on sexual and even tacky in some I have seen. For me personally being on the tail end of my 50s, I love the dresses with lots of Bling of course:D I love flowing skirts and a well cut bra which holds everything where they should be, some nice beading around the bra top, not too long or too much. I love the full on tribal look, all ages, shapes and sizes look gorgeous and elegant, the fusion ( Rachel Brice style) is lovely & fascinating - it appears to the dark side :lol: But it is the lithe ultra fit body that style of costume looks great on. Although I have seen a few larger girls who also dance fantastically that look great as well. I do think some dancers make poor choices that they seem to want to surround themselves with an aura of in your face sexy, and that doesn't do themselves or the dance justice.

Overall it is personal choice, what 'you' feel comfortable in, what you feel suits your body shape the best, and what you are trying to portray to the public - do you want to look beautiful and truly show the audience the essence of the dance and you do need to step out there, feeling beautiful, proud and strong to bring 'heart' to the performance and thus enthrall and captivate the audience. Or is the intent to show the audience how sexy and gorgeous you are and the dance is the avenue that allows one to step out there to show off 'assets' in that case the dancer is not showing off her dance skills, her 'heart' is not in the dance (just my feelings and opinion), Costume should enhance the dance, be something that people can admire, but once that initial ohhing and ahhing is done, they then see a gorgeous dancer telling her interpretation of the song/music's story in dance, the costume is part of that story, or should be and thus not detracting nor distracting.... hmmm here I am rambling again. Hope I have got across what I want to say:)
~Mosaic

Reen.Blom

Agree with OP!

Some costumes really shout "I am from harem"...LOL and then try and prove otherwise....

Taste and moderation is the key... and most important the occasion.... nightclub one thing.... but slits to waist and boob hanging out for aged home performance? LOL

I think for myself I like the tops that show tummy but do not look like bra, oh and flowing sleeves could lok nice!

Hey Mosaic well said!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
a few examples of good and bad or what i view as such

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=1&s1=1157&s2=0
way too much leg & the cups well I certainly wouldn't wear that top, i'd either have to glue the girls in or spend the whole time holding them in ... not terrible elegant if dancing (** have added pic of this in attachment page 6 of posts, as links take you to page with many costumes for some reason):lol:

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=1&s1=1159&s2=0
An example of elegant (same as above see pic page 6 of posts)

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=1&s1=1159&s2=0
another elegant costume, but I personally would stitch up the skirts opening to a more 'modest' level:)

Black Swan Tribe in WA, American Tribal Style Belly Dance Performances
examples of lovely tribal ladies

Pixie Vision Productions :: THE INDIGO BELLY DANCE ~ ZOE JAKES, RACHEL BRICE & MARDI LOVE ~ 28 NOVEMBER 2006 :: IMG_2837_small
example tribal fusion

www.karmastyle.ru - Ãàëåðåÿ
Absolute stunners IMO - yes lots of leg, but the costumes are beautiful. website is in Russian, but you don't need the language to appreciate gorgeous costumes. If I had something like any of these <drrooolll> I would just stitch up the skirt splits to where I would feel comfortable.

SHIMI
too exposing for me anyway

SHIMI
might be a dress ... but barely there:D

SHIMI
A page of costumes, lots of lovelies, but so many have cutouts, some you could easily (I think) stitch chiffon underneath, or some sort of fine net, so they could work for a lot of ladies.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/thaliasdance/Bellydance045.jpg
example of a lovely dress... I want one:lol:

Just some of my ideas of what I like or dislike in costumes.

I am sure in the UBDC thread there is heaps of absolute no way costumes,

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Agree with OP!

Some costumes really shout "I am from harem"...LOL and then try and prove otherwise....

Taste and moderation is the key... and most important the occasion.... nightclub one thing.... but slits to waist and boob hanging out for aged home performance? LOL

I think for myself I like the tops that show tummy but do not look like bra, oh and flowing sleeves could lok nice!

Hey Mosaic well said!

Thanks Reen:)

The tops you mention do you mean similar to the styles below? I like these styles as well, I have seen then with flowing sleeves as well. I couldn't find any flowing sleeves ones in my search just now.

Reen.Blom

Oi MOsaic Thanks for the links!

That blue dress is just WOW awesome! And it sits really nicelely on the lady- nothing hanging out. THAT is sheer elegance imho!

Unlike that one in the 1st link.... the cups are really too revealing in my opinion, imagine her doing shoulder shimmy...yay No wonder people ask what part of belly dancer they shoulod look at at performance...LOL

I think it is always better to reveal a bit less than a bit more... Average person is not used to woman wearing bra unless on the beach or something. After all one does not go shopping wearing a decorated bra or something. For western culture a woman wearing bra is already something "oh-la-la".... So let us wear a decent fitting bra at least! LOL

Oh an another thing, dont you think that sleeves/gauntlets make a costume look more classy? Just thought of that looking through links...

Last edited by a moderator:

adiemus

Wow! How did I miss this thread?????

My 'rules for costumes'
(1) Be comfortable
(2) Choose a style to go with the style of dance you're doing
(3) Choose a colour that suits you
(4) Choose a style that won't have wardrobe malfunctions (boobs falling out is soooo not a good look!)
(5) Choose a style that suits YOU, that means for most of us, a style that lends itself towards the illusion that you have an hourglass figure, with 'typical' proportions (the Golden Thirds thing)

I don't agree that stretchmarks should not be shown (that would mean I couldn't wear a bra top...), and I think tanned or pale is more about health and disguising bruises, scars and bulging bits than anything.
I do have cellulite (show me a woman who doesn't have a weeeeee bit esp. as we get older!), so it's probably going to show unless I have something that is pretty shapeless.
I personally don't like seeing knicker lines and lumpy bits from bra's that are too tight.

I have wondered whether the costuming we use reinforces some of the misconceptions about belly dance, but as Zumarrad said really early on in the piece, other dancers show more skin and get less criticism than bellydance.
In fact, I remember my mother being horrified at a TV broadcast of a modern ballet (about 30 years ago) where the dancers both male and female wore g strings only...

So all in all, costuming is supposed to emphasise the dance rather than the figure imperfections, but at the same time, our individual perceptions of what is OK and what is not is both culturally determined as well as personal. Isn't there room in this type of dance for all of us?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Oi MOsaic Thanks for the links!

That blue dress is just WOW awesome! And it sits really nicelely on the lady- nothing hanging out. THAT is sheer elegance imho!

Unlike that one in the 1st link.... the cups are really too revealing in my opinion, imagine her doing shoulder shimmy...yay No wonder people ask what part of belly dancer they shoulod look at at performance...LOL

I think it is always better to reveal a bit less than a bit more... Average person is not used to woman wearing bra unless on the beach or something. After all one does not go shopping wearing a decorated bra or something. For western culture a woman wearing bra is already something "oh-la-la".... So let us wear a decent fitting bra at least! LOL

Oh an another thing, dont you think that sleeves/gauntlets make a costume look more classy? Just thought of that looking through links...

I like the gauntlet look with the sleek Lycra styles, it is classy. With chiffon and 'fluffy' styles I would prefer either nice bracelets or maybe sometimes the flowing separate sleeve thingies. I suppose they are or would be called armbands. I am sure you would know what I mean:)

I agree about the costume in link 1, that would be a glue job for sure, if one 'dared' to wear it at all! Absolutely no way at my age, and I can't even see me wearing it when I was "young and svelt":rolleyes:

The dress is lovely, I have a pic of a gorgeous red one that I look at from time to time... one day I will buy one. The netting holds all the bulgy bits in nicely... creates a nice illusion. I would probably want to wear it ALL the time, because you would look like you had a great body:dance:

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

LOL Mosaic, that sounds like a new trend! Wear them ALL the time, would it not be wonderful?

I have just seen the pictures of tops with sleeve for some reason didnt see them last night....

I really love the idea, I wonder if it is one piece or bra and a top.... With long flaring sleeves could also look mice.... this just what I need to cover my back.... due to the peculiarities of my figure I rather cover the top of my back! YAY

Adiemus I agree 100%! I know my figure is not perfect, but I rather wear something that suits me well than just go "proving" to all the world that im beautiful as I am(I am...LOL) but rather go for somth tasteful and that flattens, I mean flatters my bodytype!

Hooray for all the tasteful ladies!

gisela

Super Moderator
Which costume do you mean in link 1? I see a whole page with costumes from Dahlal. I do love the Sahar costumes though. IMO they are really classy.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
LOL Mosaic, that sounds like a new trend! Wear them ALL the time, would it not be wonderful?

I have just seen the pictures of tops with sleeve for some reason didnt see them last night....

I really love the idea, I wonder if it is one piece or bra and a top.... With long flaring sleeves could also look mice.... this just what I need to cover my back.... due to the peculiarities of my figure I rather cover the top of my back! YAY[snip]

The tops like in the pics I posted are full backed. I can't find any pics at the moment showing the back, But they are one piece, one online vendor Legend Costumes has costumes with backs in the tops sometimes

here is one but it has a cutout in the back, but it gives the idea .
SHIMI
If it doesn't bring up the costume a page with 5 pics of one costume on the main page scroll down to model as 592 and click on it.

main collection page
SHIMI
models: as586, as589, as561 & as584 also have open backs on the tops. I quite like tops like that, but prefer the solid back.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Which costume do you mean in link 1? I see a whole page with costumes from Dahlal. I do love the Sahar costumes though. IMO they are really classy.

Gisela, just went back to take a look and Dahlal has changed the pics, around, I managed to find it and did a screen capture. Link1 is the black one
The pink is another I saw that barely holding it together on top :D and the purple costume is what I think is quite elegant.
There is a split in the skirt which goes up to the belt, and if I had a costume like that I would stitch up the split to a more appropriate height for me anyway.

True there are lots of very classy costumes and if I had a never ending bank balance I would buy quite a few LOL!
:)

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Hey Mosaic, thanks for all the links and pix, it is really nice to share! So I am not the only one who does screen caprure of dalal...lol well I do that to stare at them and get the inspiration, unfortunatly i dont have broadband....

Oi that black one is a bit too much, really, but well this is MY opinion....

Oh and whont you post a pic of that red dress you mentioned?

There is no way I could wear a dress like that blue one, cos im short and would have to wear heels with it, but still it is really pretty and I cant hel liking it!

Brea

There is/was a costume via Dahlal that I badly wanted to buy for my fantasy AC/DC dance. However, I couldn't find it ANYWHERE on the site even though there was a big photograph of it on one of the main pages. I searched and searched, but to no avail. All I remember about it now was that it was black and white and the belt was held together with something that looked like the black 'corset-tie' rope that you see on Renaissance dresses. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'd love to find it and figure out how to buy it (when I have cash!)

Reen.Blom

There is/was a costume via Dahlal that I badly wanted to buy for my fantasy AC/DC dance. However, I couldn't find it ANYWHERE on the site even though there was a big photograph of it on one of the main pages. I searched and searched, but to no avail. All I remember about it now was that it was black and white and the belt was held together with something that looked like the black 'corset-tie' rope that you see on Renaissance dresses. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'd love to find it and figure out how to buy it (when I have cash!)

Hey I will look out for it, also made me curious! It is 2 piece and is it glitzy style or tribal?