Skin care for acne

alosha

I learned of this on tribe, and really want to share.

Instead of using soap to cleanse the face, people who have breakouts can use a solution of 1 part apple cider vinegar and three parts water to cleanse, then use coconut oil to moisturize.

I've had breakouts since I was ten, and this i helping my skin, and I've only been doing it for a week.

If it's helping me, I have to share.

Farasha Hanem

Thanks, alosha! My daughter gets breakouts when she's stressed, and even I get an occasional breakout every now and then. oO I'll tell her about this, and try it out next time I break out, too.

alosha

It's one of those things that gets worse before it gets better. At least that's what I've heard. So I am going to try it for three months, no matter what, and see what happens. I'm doing a weekly log too, so that if it does work, I have proof!

maria_harlequin

I love natural remedies for acne! I'm currently using white clay to wash and tea tree oil for spots when I get them. And homemade soap (made by me) once a week or after a yoga class when my face presses up against the mat.

alosha

I just really really reallly hope this works. Now I need to figure out what to do with my hair...

Ariadne

I love natural remedies for acne! I'm currently using white clay to wash and tea tree oil for spots when I get them.
I'll second the tea tree oil for spots. I used to use it when I was a teen on any breakouts and it would dry them right up.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
I have rosacea, nasty bit of luck there, and the only thing that controls outbreaks is topical 2% erythromyacin and regular skin care with products made for sensitve skin that I buy from my doctor. It has worked so well (and nothing else worked at all) that I wouldn't dare try anything else at this point. Middle aged acne- it really sucks.

Lydia

neutrogena has a very good cleansing bar for acne prone skin,or when you use make up a lot for performing also you have to be carefull not to break out...so neutrogena its the bar in the orange color box

alosha

The more soap I use, the more I break out. I've tried sensitive skin formulas, normal formulas, acne formulas, etc. I think ANY soap dries me out, causing my skin to produce more oil than necessary. I haven't washed my face with soap in a little over a week, even after performance makeup, and its clearer than it's EVER been.

nemison

I just really really reallly hope this works. Now I need to figure out what to do with my hair...
i am a cook and work in a greasy kitchen and find that my face and hair get oily so bad... if it's oily hair problems your having, what works for me is either: after washing your hair, rinse it with 1 part cool water and 1 part white vinigar (you can only do this like once a week)...or what i have found works amazing is handmade tea tree oil bar soap... i have thin, limp hair and find the tea tree oil makes it seem thicker too :)

Farasha Hanem

I have rosacea, nasty bit of luck there, and the only thing that controls outbreaks is topical 2% erythromyacin and regular skin care with products made for sensitve skin that I buy from my doctor. It has worked so well (and nothing else worked at all) that I wouldn't dare try anything else at this point. Middle aged acne- it really sucks.
Yeah, really. :confused: But then again, it kinda makes you feel like you're two different ages simultaneously. :rolleyes: XD

We need an "evil grin" smilie. :lol:

Harry

I have rosacea .... Middle aged acne- it really sucks.
Same here, and I agree, Shanazel. My dermatologist has me on Desonide cream, and tetracycline for when it really gets yukky.:( Plus, no caffeine (includes chocolate ... drat!:mad:). Then, in my case, diligence has paid off, with longer intervals between breakouts. :)

Darbla

I have cystic acne on top (or on bottom?) of externally clogged pores. I constantly can see little bumps all over, and I'm going to try Alosha's tip (thank you!) to see if that clears up. But the only thing going to help the volcanoes I get for most of the month is birth control pills or Accutane, and both come with their own problems. :(

I have really oily skin and EVERYthing clogs my pores, and then hormones cause the volcanoes. I thought this crap was supposed to go away when you got beyond adolescence. :mad:

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Same here, and I agree, Shanazel. My dermatologist has me on Desonide cream, and tetracycline for when it really gets yukky.:( Plus, no caffeine (includes chocolate ... drat!:mad:). Then, in my case, diligence has paid off, with longer intervals between breakouts. :)
You might ask about the topical 2% erythromyacin. I can't take oral antibiotics on a regular basis, but this works beautifully. Desonide cream did nothing for me.

Isn't it a total bitch to reach such a dignified age and discover that you still BLUSH!??!!

I have really oily skin and EVERYthing clogs my pores, and then hormones cause the volcanoes. I thought this crap was supposed to go away when you got beyond adolescence. :mad:
You might try moving to Wyoming. The dry climate took care of my oily skin and it looked darn near perfect until the rosacea set in seven years ago.

Rassi

I'm 55 years old and my face is always broken out! So I struggle with wrinkles and zits....not fair!:mad:

Lydia

i forgat this...see that your makeup is oilfree....like if you have foundation make sure its oilfree..if i use a foundation on oilbase i will have spots...i now use estee lauder oilfree foundation and never have spots for years ....

Harry

You might ask about the topical 2% erythromyacin. I can't take oral antibiotics on a regular basis, but this works beautifully. Desonide cream did nothing for me.
Yes, some people do have problems with antibiotics (I can't have penicillin; makes me break out, would you believe ... could be a real mess along with the rosacea :rolleyes:). So, as my dermatologist likes to attack these problems from both sides, topically and internally, tetracycline was a good choice for me. I have heard that the desonide is ineffectual with some. On the other hand, topical erythromycin, indeed, might be a good alternative, should current methodology absolutely fail. I'll certainly keep that in mind. Thanks!

The message I have been catching in this thread is that a lot of skin conditions have properties that are unique to each individual...:think:

alosha

another thing to keep in mind is that food DOES affect your skin. Your body pushes toxins out in your sweat, so if there's a lot of junk in your system, you'll break out more.

Harry

That's very true, Alosha. My dermatologist also cites alcohol as a potential problem causing rosacea .... However, I ain't givin' up my beer !!!! :protest: Besides, with a little experimentation, I have found that caffeine appears to the primary source of my breaking out. I had to give up coffee AND chocolate, but ...

I guess the point is that those of us that have these skin situations simply need to try identify what may be doing it, be it diet, makeup, soap, whatever. In the meantime, there are both "home cure" and medical means to obtain relief. One simply needs to find what works best.