Sources for simple costumes

LadyLoba

Does anyone know where I can find some rather plain costumes?

I can wear yoga pants and a tank top from Victorias Secret just to do at home lessons...but eventually I would like to add a pretty (one color with just some sequins) hip scarf to that...and...when I feel I deserve a real belly dance outfit...

I'm looking for something with a solid color, long skirt and matching bra...in chocolate brown, black, or white...or whatever colors I decide to finally start buying. (I'm kind of stuck on neutral colored clothing these days)

Rassi

I've bought some things from moondancebellydance.com and so have some of my students and we've been quite satisfied. I've also gotten some nice tops from sharifwear.com.

LadyLoba

Thanks...Ill look in to those. I'm trying to "branch out." I want a belly dance costume to look a bit more special than a pair of suit pants and a dressy T or button down I'd wear to an office, or the jeans, T shirt and blazer I'd put on for a nice but casual ordinary day....but at the same time...I don't want to buy something so different I dont even feel like myself or something I'd be uncomfortable in.

I love that about belly dance costumes...there are so many different styles...and colors...and with the belts and gloves and all that...each dancer can really choose what flatters her figure and makes her feel attractive.

Daimona

Are you looking for a costume to practice in? For student performances? Aiming for simple pro costumes?

LadyLoba

I usually wear workout clothes for practice, though I should get a hip scarf. Simple pro/hobbyist type costumes for costumes...

Daimona

I usually wear workout clothes for practice, though I should get a hip scarf.

A hip scarf is always a great start when building a dancing wardrobe, both for getting a better feeling of the movements and to feel at bit more dressed up for practice, although they are more common for practice than (pro) performance unless you are aiming for a tribal/tribaret style.

Simple pro/hobbyist type costumes for costumes.

:confused: Sorry, this didn't help me help you at all.
When you say you want to get at costume, I'm thinking of getting a costume for performances. But you speaking of getting a hip scarf make me think you want to dress up for practice rather than performing (both is ok by me, I'm just trying to sort out if and how I can help you).
Could you at least please say what kind of style of costuming you are looking for?

Shanazel

If you want something a little fancier for practice, you could invest in some of those tight pants with the giant fullness on the bottom of the legs (I forget what they're called) and a pretty crop top and hip scarf to match.

Rassi

In my avatar I'm wearing a lace top from sharifwear and a cotton skirt from moondancebellydance. I'm not sure where I got the hip belt but it's velvet with silver coins and lovely turquoise beads. This was a simple costume for a student performance at a veterans' home.

Greek Bonfire

My first few costumes were from Moondance, Bellydance and they were very affordable and right in line with beginning dancers. In fact, I still have my first one although I hardly wear it anymore. So they are a good place to start with; in fact, a couple of my teachers would order their stuff for group performances because they were affordable.

Ednah Hayat

I've got 3 beginner costumes available. I'll get you links and pictures shortly. Cost is $100 or less, plus shipping.

One is blue/gold
one is pink
One is ocean blue - green, turquoise, dark blue

Edna

Rue

I've picked up about 6 hip-scarves so far...just to change up my practice outfits for fun. The cheapest was $3 - from the goodwill store. The most expensive was $60. But since my spandex tights and t's are all inexpensive I didn't mind spending a bit more to get the variety of scarves. It's fun to decide which one to wear to class.

I'm also putting together an official costume - not for a performance...but to wear if I ever help out and just want to dress up. I still want it to look right...but I'm not as restricted as if I needed something for a troupe performance.