Speech

Jesho Ken

(Not really sure where to put this, I assume this is the wrong place. :doh:)
So, I'm giving a brief (5-10 minute) talk about belly dance for a class next week. (It's a class about the history dance in general, I chose the topic of my speech.) I think I'd like to focus on male belly dancers, simply because the general public probably isn't very aware of their existence.
So, here is my question. Other than "Surprise, they exist," what is there to be said about male dancers, in the course of five minutes?
Also, I've only taken 6 lessons, and don't really know much about Belly Dance. (yay research! :clap:) But is there anything I absolutely should/shouldn't say to be sure I don't represent Belly Dance as something it's not?
Thank you, forum friends!

Tarik Sultan

(Not really sure where to put this, I assume this is the wrong place. :doh:)
So, I'm giving a brief (5-10 minute) talk about belly dance for a class next week. (It's a class about the history dance in general, I chose the topic of my speech.) I think I'd like to focus on male belly dancers, simply because the general public probably isn't very aware of their existence.
So, here is my question. Other than "Surprise, they exist," what is there to be said about male dancers, in the course of five minutes?
Also, I've only taken 6 lessons, and don't really know much about Belly Dance. (yay research! :clap:) But is there anything I absolutely should/shouldn't say to be sure I don't represent Belly Dance as something it's not?
Thank you, forum friends!

Well the first thing you want to emphasize is that most dance in North Africa, Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean, is done not by professional dancers but by ordinary people. What we call Belly Dance in the West is actually primarily a social dance that is done for fun and celibration by both sexes.

As a form of entertainment, men have always had a presence in the dance. Like their female counterparts, they performed primarily at weddings and other communal celibrations. This is a tradition that although not publicised in the mass media has always existed. The aspect of the dance we are most familiar with was developed in Cairo in the early 20th century in the new European style nightclubs that began to spring up in response to a growing tourist trade and the changing tastes of the Egyptian elite which was havily influenced by the trends in entertainmnt in Europe at the time, ie, reviews and floor shows which focused on the display of the female form in a context that was meant to be artistic, elegant and glamorous. This new interpritation of the dance soon became popularized in the media through the Egyptian cinima and telivision programs. However, in its original context, men and women still participated.

In the 1960 and '70's men in the west began performing the stage aspect of the dance as well. Currently there has been a surge of popularity of male "Belly Dancers" in Egypt, Lebanon and Turkey. The most well known being Tito Seif of Egypt who became the best known when he began performing in Sharen El Sheikh in Egypt. The resort of Sharem has become somewhat of a Mecca for male Oriental Dancers in Egypt.

If you like I can provide you with many video clips of male dancers both social and professional in Egypt.

Pirika Repun

I suggest you to read Tarik Sultan's articles in his web site (AHLAN WA SAHLAN : HELLO AND WELCOME) He has been doing this art form for 26 years, and he still researching and learning everyday. All of his articles are related to male dancers. Take your time and read them. If you have questions, send him email. He is also forum member, so either PM to him or send him email. Also check out his interview by Salome (Interview with Belly dancer Tarik Sultan), and also forum member's Dev's interview with Tarik part 1 (Tarik Sultan Part 1 | Please enjoy Devs interview with.......) and part 2 (Tarik Sultan Part 2 | Please enjoy Devs interview with.......)

He is pretty busy, and this weekend he will travel to Wisconsin for the WS, so he might not have time to response you right away this week, but he will. He is very giving person, and especially for his fellow male dancers. So, if you have any questions, ask him, and he might have answer. ;)

PS: While I'm writing this message, Tarik already wrote some advice. ;) Hey you still can read his articles and interviews!

Tarik: I was wondering why you were not answer the questions, but yah you did and I'm glad you did. :)

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator
There is lot's of things you absolutely should and shouldn't say :0)

Also, I've only taken 6 lessons, and don't really know much about Belly Dance. (yay research! )
Check out shira.net and also my site orientaldancer.net