Stage/performance etiquette

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I have never heard or seen anyone up my way hissing at a dancer on stage. Hmm now i feel like asking around to see if any of the pro dancers I know in Canada have had that happen to them. From what I can find out online, a hiss is done to show appreciation of a specific very snaky and slow movement done well.

I wasn't aware of ATS audience members doing the "yip," but from the ATS dancers' side of things, the "yip" is kind of a code used as a signal to let the troupe know when to shift formation, turn, etc., so there is a valid reason for it. Nothing to do with line dancing or coyotes. :)

Really? Cause from the ATS classes I've been to dancers don't yip.

From what I've been taught and from being with other dancers in Canada, the yip is equivalent to the zaghareet. The audience and fellow dancers (who are not performing at the time) used it here to tell the performing dancer that you love the move they just did, their dancing, your joy of the dance, and for encouragement.

From my few workshops on ATS, all movements are signaled by hand and various shifts in body positions. I was told nothing about using sound to indicate shift formation, turning, etc. Unless that is something that has recently come up to indicate more complicated advanced moves or someone started to do that :confused: I don't see how that is beneficial cause if they ever perform where people are yipping in the audience I can see that ending in problems for the dancers on stage.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

I wasn't aware of ATS audience members doing the "yip," but from the ATS dancers' side of things, the "yip" is kind of a code used as a signal to let the troupe know when to shift formation, turn, etc., so there is a valid reason for it. Nothing to do with line dancing or coyotes. :)

I can already see them change formation in a wrong place, because someone gone 'yiping' in the audience... could be quite a show.... remote controlled bellydacers.... :lol::lol::lol:

OMG I never heard of hissing.... I bet I would freak out... Let them keep to clapping the rythm, much more encouraging than hissing yipping and LOUD zaghareet... :shok::shok::shok:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I can already see them change formation in a wrong place, because someone gone 'yiping' in the audience... could be quite a show.... remote controlled bellydacers.... :lol::lol::lol:

That is what I'm thinking. From my understanding the hand and position gestures are to tell what is coming next was because you don't get to see the leaders face all the time. If they don't know that the leader 'yiped' then coming from the audience that would ruin a good dance if they through it was the leader doing it.

Farasha Hanem

I have never heard or seen anyone up my way hissing at a dancer on stage. Hmm now i feel like asking around to see if any of the pro dancers I know in Canada have had that happen to them. From what I can find out online, a hiss is done to show appreciation of a specific very snaky and slow movement done well.

Really? Cause from the ATS classes I've been to dancers don't yip.

From what I've been taught and from being with other dancers in Canada, the yip is equivalent to the zaghareet. The audience and fellow dancers (who are not performing at the time) used it here to tell the performing dancer that you love the move they just did, their dancing, your joy of the dance, and for encouragement.

From my few workshops on ATS, all movements are signaled by hand and various shifts in body positions. I was told nothing about using sound to indicate shift formation, turning, etc. Unless that is something that has recently come up to indicate more complicated advanced moves or someone started to do that :confused: I don't see how that is beneficial cause if they ever perform where people are yipping in the audience I can see that ending in problems for the dancers on stage.

@Cheart :think: Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe the "yip" is a regional thing, after all? I've read about hand signals; problem is (with me), I'm kinda bad about not paying attention to visual cues. Oo;;

@Reen ILU! XD *discovers a way to make a bellydancer remote control, and mass-produces them for Wal-Mart* XD

I wonder if anyone has any documented info on the origin of the "yip"? :think: *grimaces as she remembers a friend saying, "Google is your friend"*

*comes back from Google*
oO;;; Well, that was useless. :confused: I got some medical web sites, and a podcast for bellydancers called *drum roll* "YIP." :confused:

Tribal Dancer, where are you? Shira? lizaj? Emma? alosha? Anybody? Help! :(

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

This might help. It is from Shira's site. How to be an appreciative audiance

Thanks for the link!
I often wanna say that:

Ya 'Aini.
Means, "Oh my eyes!"

Especially seeing some tacky costuming... :lol::lol::lol:

Also loved Shira's Zaghareet! Impressive!:clap::clap::clap:

I think Im gonna add it to my 'Arrr-a-ha-ha hai' grito.... Might go well together....:think:

Shira, I would love to hear some hissing too! Cant imagine what it sounds like?

Anyone seen it on youTube??

Amulya

Once in a while my thighs will slap together during a shimmy. It makes a very loud audible noise which is quite startling. :shok::lol:

LOL story of my life.. thighs and butt cheeks. And once you're all sweaty, it is like it amplifies the clapping sound.... ugh lol:rolleyes: Glad I'm not the only one:dance:

Totally off topic:
There was once a long and very funny discussion about this on Bhuz. I still can't believe this can happen. And bum cheeks? How? If you wear full underwear and not a thong.

Madra_Heretic

Newbie Questions

I'm going to be performing for the first time in acouple weeks, and I must say, this thread is really helpful:clap: I do have some questions though:

1. You all said one shouldnt come out from backstage in costume. Do I change into my street clothes? Do I have to take my makeup off and hair falls as well?

2.After I fini8sh my performance and go backstage and change clothes, is it ok for me to go sit with my family or do i need to stay backstage until everyone has perfomed?

MH

Daimona

1. You all said one shouldnt come out from backstage in costume. Do I change into my street clothes? Do I have to take my makeup off and hair falls as well?

2.After I fini8sh my performance and go backstage and change clothes, is it ok for me to go sit with my family or do i need to stay backstage until everyone has perfomed?

1. Change to street clothes or cover up with something that will hide your costume.

2. It depends on the venue and the organizers. Some will allow it, others won't.

Madra_Heretic

1. Change to street clothes or cover up with something that will hide your costume.

2. It depends on the venue and the organizers. Some will allow it, others won't.

Thank you Daim. I will ask the organizer about that. As for the clothes, I've seen dancers at Haflas come out in these cool long robe things. Might this be a good thing for me to have?

HM

Pleasant dancer

Thank you Daim. I will ask the organizer about that. As for the clothes, I've seen dancers at Haflas come out in these cool long robe things. Might this be a good thing for me to have?

HM

It will probably be one of the most useful things (apart from a costume!!) that you can ever have. Just don't forget to use it! Keep the magic til you actually perform :D

Madra_Heretic

It will probably be one of the most useful things (apart from a costume!!) that you can ever have. Just don't forget to use it! Keep the magic til you actually perform :D

Ah, thank you for validating that for me lol. Yeah, it seems like it would be so much easier to just cover up with one of those rather than change all my clothes entirely. Especialy considering that we may be in a cramped space backstage. Wouldnt want to accidently smack anybody in the face while trying to rip off a sweaty bra :lol:

Greek Bonfire

Most dancers are really good at observing etiquette. The problem is all you need is one because one alone can do a lot of disrupting. I sympathize completely. Dancers need to be aware of these things and there are many too who don't know they are doing anything wrong. But this should be part of their dance education as well, and many teachers emphathize this in their classes, at least in my experience they have.

Madra_Heretic

I'm so glad this thread is here. I NEVER would have known some of this stuff if it werent. And then I just would have felt like a jackass because I know I would have done something wrong.

PracticalDancer

HM

YES! A resounding yes! The garment you are referring to is a "cover up" and it is my personal belief that I dancer should not be allowed to by a costume until s/he has a cover up!

Ok, sorry for my enthusiasm and dictatorial tone; but, cover ups serve very important purposes. They conceal the costume so that the "mystery" of you costume remains, even after you perform. They protect your costume from damage, stains, and grabby hands. They allow you to move about without distracting from the other dancers who are performing. (Moving about in costume is pretty much upstaging the other dancers.) And, (really important one!) they allow you to have as much or as little of your costume on and still be modest. That is, as a cabaret dancer, I can tell you that I do NOT want to put my belt on until the last minute -- sitting in a belt will both damage it and knock it into a poor position. Throwing a coverup over my partial costume allows me to put on what I can comfortably travel in without looking half nekkid. (ya'll do have nekkid in Jersey, right? ;)) Here is an excellent article on the subject!

Next bit of advice: costumes are hot. Very hot. Buy or make a coverup in COTTON and you will be much happier! Trust me!

And, FWIW, going back to you comment about watching the show, around here (a few states south) it is expected that performers should not have to "pay to perform" and that they should not have to pay to see the shows they are in. So, my troupe and most teachers here will charge admission to non-dancing audience members; but, those who dance in the show get to watch as much of the rest of it as they want (as long as they still meet their commitment to perform).

Regards,

Anala

Daimona

Next bit of advice: costumes are hot. Very hot. Buy or make a coverup in COTTON and you will be much happier! Trust me!
Or cold - depending on where you are (AC or cold climates are not always a good thing while waiting to go on stage). I'm planning to finish a cover-up in WOOL this weekend for outdoor events in Norway. ;)

Madra_Heretic

OK, so I was totally out of money for my costume, but I thought, "well, let me see if I can find something nice but inexpensive at a regular stare (as opossed to a dance shop), so I went to Lane Bryant yesterday and found this roomy long black wiast-less slip on dress with a V-neck. Its perfect! It was a shorter dress, but I'm short, so it covered everything but the bottum of my pants. Its a nice light weight cotten too so I wont over heat.

In regards to the whole sitting with my family thing: No dancers dont have to pay admission lol. My thought though was that if I wander out from backstage it would be distracting...or something like that.

blackwillow

Etiquette I've always felt to be useful is:
*Don't use a TON of hairspray in a small changing room (if you're lucky enough to have a room). Go outside (not a public place of course) and aply your shellac there.

*Similarly, don't go mad with the glitter spray in a small changing room.

*If people will see your ankles, don't wear your tightest socks and take them off just before your performance.

*Similarly, don't wear your tightest elasticated waist skirt/trousers before putting your costume on. Both things may spoil the magic!

Amulya

blackwillow, those last 2 are really good tips (could also be posted in costumes), because a lot of people won't think about that!

Jane

New ones after last night's performance. Please don't:

Sprawl on the dressing room floor so other dancers have to step over or on you.

Get in the way of dancers who are cued up to get on stage.

Wear clunky shoes and stomp around backstage.

Brush the back curtain while crossing behind, causing it to sway around and distract from the dancers on stage.

Be clueless about which side to go off and on, and what your order is: bows included.

I will love you forever and ever if you carry extra tampons. I had an emergency last night and someone is getting a big box with a bow at tonight's performance. ;)