Taqsim

gypsy

Can anyone tell me about Taqsim?

I know that it is an improvised dance done to Taqsim music, but are there certain moves that fall under this term, or does anything go?

Does it appear in other styles?

I'm looking for info on it, but not finding much.

Kashmir

As you stated it is a dance to a taqsim - which is a musical improvisation by one instrument (often without any rhythm). Any moves which fit the msuic is fine - the music and its phrasing is paramount. Your moves should fit the texture of the music. Because it is a solo instrument you don't do a lot of layering or fancy arms. If there is also a rhythm you can switch between the drum and the instrument.

Taj

If you like learning from dvds, I highly recommend Ranya Renee's The Baladi. It's a two-dvd set jam-packed with info on baladi music and dancing, including lots of info on taqsim.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

If you like learning from dvds, I highly recommend Ranya Renee's The Baladi. It's a two-dvd set jam-packed with info on baladi music and dancing, including lots of info on taqsim.

I second that recommendation. She spends a lot of time helping you understand and internalize the taqsim.

ababalond

I second that recommendation. She spends a lot of time helping you understand and internalize the taqsim.

heres the link to Ranya's DVD set on Baladi, it is simply amazing, and most inspiring indeed, she teaches Baladi musical progression beautifully, developing intuition for the music during improv, posture, alignment, drills, everything! Ranya is also doing a study group on her facebook, this week the topic was the taqsim actually!

YouTube - Bellydance Egyptian Style: The Baladi, by Ranya Renée : buy the set at WorldDanceNewYork.com!

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Can anyone tell me about Taqsim?

Does it appear in other styles?

In Turkish music, even though there may be an underlying rhythm, there will often be a long taqsim of usually a clarinet or violin. From what I've seen on video, the dancer will typically approach that clarinet solo without acknowledging the underlying rhythm. Or she may acknowledge one or two little accents in between the sections of the clarinet solo. I've heard some Turkish music in Romani language with an extended mawaal, and the dancers I've seen have approached the mawaal in the same way as an instrumental taqsim.

The mawaal is common throughout Arabic music, but it's tricky when you're dealing with Gulf-region music because so much of that isn't really appropriate for belly dance.

Solo instrumental improvisations are common in just about all music, Western included.

Marta Korzun

Taqsim is the instrumental improvisation usually executed as solo of one tool on accordion, a flute, a violin, aud, etc., but it can be accompanied also by a percussion or other tool publishing a bass sound.
The main task of taqsim- to enable musician to show the possibilities.

The problem of the dancer to show soul of the improvising tool.
For the dancer it improvisation each time too.

Taqsim- improvisation of the dancer in a slow part of a melody, as a rule in the middle of dance. In music one tool is usually used for execution taqsim.
The rhythms often supplementing taqsim: masmudi (all versions), sumai, sumbati, wahda.

RanyaRenee

I think working with taqasim helps greatly in getting a feel for the emotional content of Arabic (and Turkish) music, because a taqasim is exploration of a particular maqam, or musical mode, and each maqam has its own distinctive coloring. It gives so much more to work with as a dancer, in terms of expression and learning to just take the music in without feeling like you have to do too much to it.

I have two upcoming DVD releases on the topic of taqasim and maqamat; the first, Bellydance Taqasim: Improvisation Skills & Drills, will be out later this summer. I'll have pre-orders up on my website by early July i expect. If you are interested in getting on my newsletter list so you'll get the updates (and a trailer link--we have a draft up now), you can message me or email me. :D

Remember also as you are looking for info on taqasim, it can be spelled MANY different ways... taqasim, taksim, takaseem, taqseem, taqsim, taxim, etc...

RanyaRenee

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Classical Egyptian is still coming, please say yes!!!

Hahahahahaha, yesssssssssssssssssssssss...... I'm sorry to kill people with the suspense on that one! The Classical will be next in the pipeline after these two musicality dvds are out. I am reluctant to promise dates because the process always takes longer than i think it will. But my costumes and teaching outfits for Classical are done or being made now, so that is a good indicator that it is happening. :D I think the musicality DVDs in the interim will be, ahem, good preparation for the Classical, because it puts the focus back on the traditional melody line and emotional content that is a hallmark of the classic style. More to come!