The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Shanazel

Well, I hope this marks the return of more of those who have been MIA for a while. It has gotten lonesome around here.

Amulya

I tried to move it into the costume inspiration thread and I somehow created a second thread with the same name! Shan could you please move it to the big costume inspiration thread? Somehow it doesn't work for me :/

Shanazel

Wow. I think I did it, Amulya. Things work a little differently from the old system- or maybe they just look different in purple. :D

No. Wait. I take it back. I seem to have moved part of the thread. Back t the drawing board...

Nope. We're good.

Houston, we have touchdown!

Last edited:

Amulya

Thanks! Yes it was different than before, all looked the same but somehow it ended up in its own thread, weird

Suzanne Azhaar

Finished my costume in time for a show this Saturday. :D

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpg
    IMG_4362.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 81

Safran

Ah, look at that awesome fringe!!!

I found golden beads at the souk... Bought them, brought them home and discovered that I don't have any needles thin enough for them... I guess it is back to the souk again! :rolleyes:

Amulya

Good luck with the show, well done finishing the costume in time, I too like that fringe, very cool. We want to see pictures of the show of course :)

Ariadne

Sooooo... I've been thinking.

I don't know if anyone remembers but made this outfit back when I was in a class and performing:

Unfinished

Finished Design

I did actually finish it and then started covering it in as many black sequins as I could get my hands on. The bra has been thoroughly sparkled along with the front of the belt. Here's the thing... I never actually got to perform in it (came down with swine flu that week) and the closer I get to completing the sequins the less I like it. Since it was my first the beading really isn't as good as I would like and I can't stand the vest I made to go with it.

Sooo... I'm seriously thinking of ripping the whole thing apart for materials and trying again. All the beads are purple and I really want something that will look good with red. Maybe it would work?

Am I out of my mind?

On the other hand for the last few years I've been collecting these:

I'm looking to eventually make a chunky style beaded Turkish workhorse with both gold and silver with white and orange accents. I'm trying to decide whether to work with the fringe I have or to just make my own.

Again am I out of my mind?

(I did mention I'm determined not to give up elsewhere.)

Darshiva

Definitely rip it apart and start a new project with it. What you have there isn't bad at all, but if you're not happy with it it's time for a quick unpick to harvest the materials and use the knowledge gained in the making of the costume to make something else.

Amulya

No I wouldn't take it apart, I think if you combine it with a different skirt and vest you got a whole new look. The bra and belt are black aren't they? What about a black velvet skirt and vest? That would really make the beading stand out, I think the white vest and skirt kind of drowns out the beads if that makes sense?

Ariadne

It's actually a light purple under black lace with black sequins on the lace. The vest and skirt were a celery green (with a silver underskirt) and were to keep me from disappearing into the black background on the stage I was supposed to perform on. The purple shows better in the first picture. The veil matches it if that helps any. I was originally planning to eventually make a black skirt to go with it and had already purchased a matching black stomach cover. I just don't know anymore.

Maybe I'll walk away and just start a completely separate one. Materials are just so expensive...

Shanazel

You might take off all the light colored bead drapes and drizzles and redesign from there. Something bright against the dark would be far more striking than the matte beads on it now.

Me being me, I'd use lots and lots of shiny gold and silver coins. :D

Ariadne

Oh... That gives me idea's. If I just remove the purple beads and work with the black beads and sequins then layer coins or paletts... I would have to be careful or it could turn out disastrous.