The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Darshiva

I recently converted a costume from Mosaic's legendary gift package into a dress from a skirt & bra as the skirt was way too long. Now it looks like a million bucks but with very little work (and a lot of swearing) from me!

Daimona

I recently converted a costume from Mosaic's legendary gift package into a dress from a skirt & bra as the skirt was way too long. Now it looks like a million bucks but with very little work (and a lot of swearing) from me!

How did you do it? (i.e. apart from the swearing) ;)

Darshiva

I unpicked the flower from the belt and the belt from the skirt. I turned the skirt 90* so the split was on the side and the zipper on the back. I attached the point of the skirt to one side of the bra and the flower to the opposite side.

It was pretty easy to do. The hardest part was struggling under the weight of the beads to keep the dress on my lap while I hand-stitched everything into place, and trying not to bleed all over it when i skewered my finger with the needle that one time.

I'll be converting it from a halter to a cross-back using the belt after I've performed in it this weekend.

Darshiva

Thanks. It was really easy to work with. The designer really did exceptional work. I just moved a couple of things around. :)

gisela

Super Moderator
what kind of belt was it? Some kind of strap? It doesn't look like there's a belt missing from the design now.

Darshiva

This skirt & bra set being worn by the amazing Trisnasari of Melbourne is a similar style to what I converted over, and the thin belt at the top is the same type. I'll be using the belt to convert it from a halter to a cross-back.

Suzanne Azhaar

1-1-IMG_6028.jpg

Hello Everyone, Been a while since I've posted. Hubby purchased fabric; said it looked festive, and encouraged me to create a new one. Sewing a little at a time (life happens) but it will be completed, eventually. Thought to share its beginnings. ;)

Suzanne Azhaar

Thank you Shanazel! Currently learning sewing techniques for Steampunk costuming, but missed sewing dance costumes. Decided it's all fair game and any sewing technique I am learning is now going on a dance costume. :dance:

Suzanne Azhaar

Steampunk~ silly me thought, "Make the bustle dress and whola! Done." Have since learned, definitely not how it works.

To create a proper silhouette there are many layers involved, created from the skin, out to the dress.

1) chemise, 2) pantaloons, 3) corset, 4) bustle (a.k.a. lobster tail), 5) petticoats (w/ many pleats and machine decoration even though no one will ever see it), 6) black and white over skirt (dust ruffle, not in photo, is now attached and needs two different colors of Cooney lace to blend the skirt with ruffle) and 6) the bodice.

Here's the kicker~ in all the anticipated excitement of wearing the outfit I purchased fabric for a second dress. I am now questioning my sanity on that one.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
The stones are nice but the way the lower torso part of the costume is constructed makes it look like she is losing her britches to reveal the bottom of her leotard. Fill that in and extend it into a skirt instead of tights and it would be a lovely belly dance gown, though.

Daimona

When you try on a completely hand sewn dress for the first time, just to make the final adjustments - and you realize it is way too big.... *sigh*
#thatfeeling