The "Who's Who" of Belly Dance!

adiemus

30 Aida Nour - for sharing and teaching from her long experience

31 Dr Mo Geddawi - for his educated approach, thorough teaching and long years of experience

32 Orit Maftsir - gorgeous dancer and wonderful costumes

Ranya

33. Mohammed and Suzanne Abu Shbeika (Sweden/Egypt) for organising the Stockholm festival (one of the biggest in Europe) and most of all the Nile Group Festivals in Cairo.

34. The Egyptian Government - ok this may seem a bit odd, but when you think of it (and I know because I experienced its huuuuge influence on myself first hand) : throughout history they dictated the style (no floorwork), the costumes (no bare midriff), the conditions (where and when and how it is ok to perform) and in a way also external influences since they decide whether and how long foreigners can dance there - every dancer from around the world brings something to the Egyptian dance scene (Russian have their style, Brazilians have theirs and natives have theirs) and thus it influences, although not directly, the evolution of the current style of the modern Cairo dance scene....and also let's not forget, the Reda Folkloric Troupe and the National Folkloric Troupe (Qawmia) belong to the Egyptian Government.

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
35. Beata and Horatio Cifuentes (Germany) for producing wonderful shows and touring the world. For setting up a dance-school and recently starting a expansive teacher-training that will spread their influence to many more students and countries.

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
I think it's on their website "CATT-training" or something like that. I know two dancers that take that course. It's on weekends and holidays in Berlin and the rest of the time is home assignments and practice. I think the whole thing takes two years. That's why it's possible to do it even if you don't live in Germany, but unless you live in a country nearby it's gonna be A LOOOT of travel;)
The people I know that are doing it thught they were developing a lot as dancers and teachers.

meddevi

36. Dalia Carella - an accomplished dancer and instructor through and through, immense levels of professionalism and innovation, while being both research-based and artistic.

Aziyade

37. DeeDee and Ahmed (pbuh) from Little Egypt in Texas, for bringing the Stars of Egypt to the US!

38. Shareen el Safy, US, for Habibi magazine and the ICMED conferences, and for introducing Egyptian style to video.

39. Suzy Evans, US, for making mass-market bellydance videos

40. Michelle Joyce, US, for making mass-market bellydance videos affordable.

Safran

I think it's on their website "CATT-training" or something like that. I know two dancers that take that course. It's on weekends and holidays in Berlin and the rest of the time is home assignments and practice. I think the whole thing takes two years. That's why it's possible to do it even if you don't live in Germany, but unless you live in a country nearby it's gonna be A LOOOT of travel;)
The people I know that are doing it thught they were developing a lot as dancers and teachers.
Ooh, that sounds interesting!

But to continue the list

41. Khaled Mahmoud, England, for teaching us all about grace in the Egyptian style

Yshka

I'd like to add to one:

32. Orit Maftsir, Israel
For her fresh, elegant and modern approach to classical Egyptian dance that still seems to have the flair of the Golden Era.

And a new addition
42. Madame Abla, Egypt (bless her heart)
For her unique mark on Egyptian dance costuming.

gisela

Super Moderator
43. Didem, Turkey- danced regularly on tv in turkey and because of youtube now has what it seems a massive following.

44. Yousry Sharif, USA- for travelling and teaching choreographies in his special style.

Last edited:

Aziyade

45. Miles Copeland, arguably the USA, for giving us years and years of things to rail against, argue about, and for introducing Rachel Brice to YouTube. :)

Yshka

Dear Adiemus,
I knew you'd put her there, I used your nr. 32 as well for Orit, but just HAD to add what I love about her:D. I think she's amazing!!

Eshta

33. Mohammed and Suzanne Abu Shbeika (Sweden/Egypt) for organising the Stockholm festival (one of the biggest in Europe) and most of all the Nile Group Festivals in Cairo.

34. The Egyptian Government - ok this may seem a bit odd, but when you think of it (and I know because I experienced its huuuuge influence on myself first hand) : throughout history they dictated the style (no floorwork), the costumes (no bare midriff), the conditions (where and when and how it is ok to perform) and in a way also external influences since they decide whether and how long foreigners can dance there - every dancer from around the world brings something to the Egyptian dance scene (Russian have their style, Brazilians have theirs and natives have theirs) and thus it influences, although not directly, the evolution of the current style of the modern Cairo dance scene....and also let's not forget, the Reda Folkloric Troupe and the National Folkloric Troupe (Qawmia) belong to the Egyptian Government.
Ranya, I applaud your lateral thinking here, what an interesting and totally pertinent addition to the list!

I have to say, I am LOVING this list so far, and we are only halfway through getting to 100. Wouldn't you KILL to organise a gala with all these people?!?!

leila_yu

47.Prof.Dr.Hassan Khalil -Egypt- for all his researches and the real authentic spirit he transmitts to his students

Plus I am not going to put any number on her, since she was already mentioned twice, but I HAVE TO say that she is no1 -Orit Maftsir!!!! :))

48.Mayodi - France-(born Morrocan, living in France), this loving master is a true dance "guru".For his unbelievable energy and undevoted love for his work that he spreads all around, he definitely deserves his place in this list :)

Eshta

Ok, the turn of some of the musicians & a bit of controversy to pepper things up a little!

49 Safaa Farid, Egypt
Leila interviews Safaa for the Gilded Serpent
Although a musician, Safaa is also manager to many of the starlets including Leila, Yasmina, Outi & Lorna and has produced a number of awesome CDs. I don't know if I could pick a favourite, but it would be between Yasmina's "Aheb Masr" and Leila's "Sukara". Influential because he has a role in what you hear and what you see in Cairo, which tends to ripple outwards around the globe :)

50 Hossam Ramzy, UK (but originally Egypt)
Yes, this is slimy as he's my teacher, but I dare you to deny that his music is EVERYWHERE - is there a version of "Aziza" by anyone else, for example :lol:?! He has brought a lot of classics to us dancers, and his stars of egypt series is a pretty neat guide to the golden era dancers.

xx Miles Copeland, USA
Ok, so if the flames don't come my way for my last entrant, I am running as fast as I can after I hit 'post' on this entry! Controversial I know, but the bellydance superstars have had a profound impact on the global belly dance community which is hard to deny. Love him/them or hate him/them, the man & his show have definitely made a mark and should therefore be included here!

(Edit: Oops, added Miles but missed that Aziyade had already posted on him, so just removing the number and leaving my comment!)

Last edited:

Aziyade

49. Bel-Shaz-zar, USA, for making one of the first "how to bellydance" LPs. With some kick-butt music!

50. George Abdo
51. Eddie Kochak -- both US imports, both for their musical contributions to American Classic bellydance.

52. Hadia, Canada, for teaching Americans how to choreograph, and teaching Egyptian style in 5 different languages.

53. Sausan, California, for the Clyde's Guides and her dvd series of the Stars of Egyptian movies.

54. Stella, NY, for a great CD and running the bellydanceny website and the MEDance list for so long.

55. Did we do Reda yet? I should think he would get a mention!

Last edited:

leila_yu

55-Oum Kalthoum-a diva!!!!!Do we need any explanation why she should be on this list?? :-D Her songs are eternal and definitely challenging to all serious dancers and artists.

I put 55, cause yes, we did Reda already :))