The "Who's Who" of Belly Dance!

Eshta

Hi ladies, for fun I want to try to compose the top 100 "Who's Who" of Belly Dance 2009, please help me!

When I say "top" I'm trying to think of who is the most influential in the belly dance world, so much wider than "who's your favourite dancer/teacher"? It could be, but choreographers, organisers, musicians, costume designers, etc can all count. But it has to be "current" but I'll let you define that! No particular order! And no need to get to 100 and stop :)

To make it easier to follow, please can you include the following:

-Give them a number following on from the previous "entrant"
-Give their location (so an Egyptian living in America = "America")
-A description of how they are influential, what they are primarily known for

Ready?!

Ok, I'll start to give you an example!

1: Ashmahan, Egypt
Originally from Argentina but currently in Cairo, Asmahan is known for her elaborate stagecraft, with complex props & themes to her show.

Ranya

Ok this is not my favourite dancer but she definitely is influencial.

2: Jillina, USA
Main choreographer and soloist of the BDSS (heard rumours about her leaving...). She is one of the instructors you can be sure will fill a workshop.

maria_harlequin

4. The Indigo, US

Changed the face of Tribal Fusion by combining theater, comedy, and getting rid of the "oh so serious" face in their numbers :D

Shanazel

5. FiFi Abdou, still inspiring, guiding and dancing after all these years

6. Dina, not my favorite, but very influential

Daimona

7. Raqia Hassan, Egypt. Long-time dancer, choreographer, teacher, costume-designer etc.

8. Randa Kamel, Egypt.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

9. Morocco, USA.

She knows EVERYTHING and still teaches it. She gave a lot of American students their first taste of Middle Eastern ethnic dances.

Sita

9. Morocco. America, her research and dedication has helped give depth to our understanding of the art and the need to understand it's culture.

Sita

I can't believe that, at least it's unanimous :lol:

10 Aisha Ali, america, her research
11. Tanyeli, Turkey, she has her own dance school there, was heavily involved in the show Oryantal Star, and has become for many the 'face' of Turkish bellydance with media coverage like Michael Palin's show.

Sita

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

TOO funny!

12. Suhaila Salimpour, USA -- keeping Jamila style alive and fusing techno/hiphop into bellydance, and who can forget the internet meme "These Glutes were made for walking."

Last edited:

Sita

13 Eman Zaki, Egypt, the haute couture of costumes does workshops, and can dance.
14. In terms of influence: websites like OD.net shira's and the Gilded serpent, USA, their sites are a beacon to dancers all over the world teaching them about the dance, keeping them up to date with news etc.

Sita

Last edited:

Sita

15. Tito, Egypt, his fame has led to copycats which shows his influence and giving more recognition and acceptance to male belly dancers.

Sita

Last edited:

Eshta

18. Shira, USA
Not just because she's a forum member, either! Shira's website is a treasure trove of info, it was one of the first I discovered and one I continually return to, and I'm certain I'm not alone in that verdict!

Eshta

19. Mahmoud Reda, Egypt
For his services to folkloric egyptian dance which, while not belly dance, has had its impact of belly dance and given us some fantastic dancers! He's very much still 'current', although with his prolific history behind him it may seem hard to believe!!!

Shanazel

20. Salome, USA, for the forum that reaches across the world. Will also give a nod to Cyndee for producing Salome and training her up in the way she should go.

nightdancer

Badia Masabni, of Casion Opera fame. She brought more expansive use of stage space and the use of a Western-style orchestra, creating the cabaret movement, ushering in what some refer to as "The Golden Age of Bellydance".

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

22. Amira el Kattan, for Pharonics costumes!

23. Faten Salama for teaching Egyptian style throughout the country.

24. Mohammed Shahin for teaching Egyptian throughout the US

25. Karim Nagi for Turbo Tabla and teaching dancers about the music.

26. Ozel Turkbas, Turkey, for some kick=butt old-school Turkish music.

27. Artemis Mourat, for teaching Romani dance to Americans and keeping it alive.

28. Eva Cernik, for keeping old-school Turkish alive in the US

29. Delilah, for having early videos and keeping American Classic style alive.